Got an 'F' in Shaper 101 :~(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got an 'F' in Shaper 101 :~(

I got my answers, and I ended up in the right place.
    The trouble is, I've been doing the same machining now for 5 1/2 years.

New territory has been all tool-welding, and Babbitt puddling and repairs.
    Some groth in CNC programing experiments but that's it.

I didd terribllle! today. I layed a large holder up on the gibs by the ram.
    I was constantly stopping the ram and leaving the crossfeed lever engaged.
    And FOrGETTING about it. I didn't allow for a slight adjustment and took
    a third off my tool-bit.

I began to wonder if I should be led out to pasture and shot?
    Finaly I realised I made no distinction in habbits from work
    on the Bar, to a Shaper at home
    , and discounted the FACT,
    >>that realy my time was 90% as a helper!<< I got [email protected] good at putting work on a planer.
    He wasn't even checking my work anymore. (or at least I thought he wasn't)
    I got pretty good at sharpening bits to instructions.

I didn't realy ever acheive much on a planer or a shaper.
    And I was approaching this like I was solid in the saddle.
    I'd give myself a spanking but somehow that sounds disturbing!
    ================
    Results @ .020" stepping @ .012" cut-depth @ 16 s.p.m.
    Mercon III brushed on the part.
    Now you can see a shadow behind the hole.
    The cut is correct, rubbing toward or away from the ram feels no different.
    I still give my-self an 'F' .. .. .. reason follows pics.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    REASON FOR the 'F'.
    Even my troubleshooting has gone to seed.
    As soon as I saw the print but could feel nothing last time, I figgured gear-noise . . .
    .... but lacked the creativeity to comprehend an opportunity here that one can't have on a Bar in a bore.

you can't ride on a boring head and live to tell about it.
    but you can run the ram on a shaper, just past the side of the part,
    and get a good purchase on the shelving and fight the ram with increasing strenght
    apply~ed to the tool-head, all the time feeling gear-noise in your hand
    and there's no cut being taken.

This is discouraging.
    Last edited by Old Hat; 08-10-2014, 11:15 PM.

Is there a translation service for this?

I have used a shaper a LOT, but I got to the end and realized I had NO idea what was being said in the OP.....
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

??????

Rich
      Green Bay, WI

Comment

Wouldn't get in the way unless you like broken ribs, i found out to never walk behind a shaper, there was an old one kept for a demo in tech, there was a bracket on the wall to hold a 2x4 which was cut to length between the ram and wall, the machine started and result watched through poly carb screens, the timber hit square on the end shattered spectacularly on the quick return, dramatic demo that stuck in memory
        The instructor liked his demos, never any major accidents in the shop!
        The swarf looked odd?, stringy, very acute shear tool generated?
        Mark

Comment

Whaddesay?
          olcop

Comment

I guess it makes sense to you Old Hat, but WTF??

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
              ...you can't ride on a boring head and live to tell about it...
              truer words have never been spoken.

what are the overall dimensions of the part? how big is that hole? and how big is
              that shaper?

Finish doesn't look bad from here but I'll assume we're talking about a wavy edge
              due to the interrupted cut.

is the lube system getting the juice everywhere it needs to go?
              tool over-hang kept in check?
              gibbs snugged up?

Maybe put a tenths indicator in the tool holder and run it along a good parallel in the
              vise and see what it tells you. Look for lots of needle jumping to see how much of the
              clockworks is being transmitted to your cutter. Though I think if you've got good oil
              on all the ways gear noise shouldn't make it through to your cut.. just based on how
              shapers work -- total guess on my part.

I've seen shadows (single ripple) like that sometimes on the very beginning of cuts (otherwise not
              interrupted).. usually resolved by a quick honing of the cutting edge. or reducing DOC.

Comment

Looks like you have lost most of the chattering, reduce the DOC to about 0.003"-0.005" and make sure the tool has a nice radius and is sharp.

Comment

You can feel gear vibrations on the ram? OK then, if you can feel the vibration the gear that is the culprit must be pretty noisy. I wonder if you can adjust the amount of engagement and experiment for least noise?

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                    You can feel gear vibrations on the ram? OK then, if you can feel the vibration the gear that is the culprit must be pretty noisy.
                    I wonder if you can adjust the amount of engagement and experiment for least noise?
                    I can't remember Gemco's claim to fame, and a friend lost the excellant book that came with this shaper.
                    Their bull-gear arrangement was patented and unique.
                    I've been in there long ago, I think she is what she is, but I'll have another look-see, just not now.

This part in simply a seat for an anvil, and needed a slight hollow flattened.
                    Could have done it on the Bar at work, but This is the fresh territory and I need to a little detour.

If I realy needed to make something on this machine, now is the time to run the bugs out of it.
                    Instead of waiting till it matters.
                    The point of this thread that the choirboys above are missing, is I'm running the bugs
                    out of ME more than the Gemco, and it's a troubling revealation, how much I've gone to seed
                    in a job that is basicly . . . Coasting . . . regarding applied machining skills.

In put appreciated from the legitament among you.
                    Thank You!
                    Last edited by Old Hat; 08-11-2014, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
                      I can't remember Gemco's claim to fame, and a friend lost the excellant book that came with this shaper.
                      Their bull-gear arrangement was patented and unique. .....

The bull gear is helical rather than the more typical spur.

Thanks for posting, help get me motivated to finish the electrics on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Abaker View Post
                        The bull gear is helical rather than the more typical spur.

Thanks for posting, help get me motivated to finish the electrics on mine.
                        $hit! I wasn't that overly concerned till you reminded me of that!
                        As a former machine tool mechanic..... this is not good.
                        Not with a helical bull gear !

only good news now would be a substancial chip wedged in the pinion.
                        Last edited by Old Hat; 08-11-2014, 10:57 AM.

Comment

shudda been a dead give-away

There's a terd in those gears somewhere.

The cut is history but I posted the pic, so the evidence is not expunged!

Chatter by nature has shifting resonances, often appearing wildly random.
                          This is digital or proportional... perhaps a better term.

I feel I've broken thru the crust just in time, before the brain attrophies alltogether.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                            Is there a translation service for this?

I have used a shaper a LOT, but I got to the end and realized I had NO idea what was being said in the OP.....
                            I think I can translate.

He wants a spanking, and he doesn't want to do it himself.
                            Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike View Post
                              I think I can translate.

He wants a spanking, and he doesn't want to do it himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X