New aluminum casting method - stick welder, graphite and kinetic sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New aluminum casting method - stick welder, graphite and kinetic sand

It's so simple, it really shouldn't work. But the proof is in the pudding!
    [url]http://youtu.be/L3t-jBATM0w[/url]
    Since this is my first successful aluminum casting, I'd really appreciate your thoughts!

Pretty awesome.

Correct link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L3t-jBATM0w

Comment

Slick, other than the waxed cup!
      Glen
      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Interesting, but the definition of the cast part was poor. You'd need to oversize everything and hope it was close enough to machine to size. Perhaps with some experimenting one could overcome that.
        Southwest Utah

Comment

What would happen if you connected the welder lead directly to the graphite crucible? Or if you used just a plain graphite rod instead of a plated one? The rods they use for refining aluminum are not plated. A way to confine that mold material that did not burst into flames would also be a plus.
          Gene

Comment

Why didn't the sand slump down when you removed the pattern?

Comment

Quite impressed, mini electric arc furnace, the copper wouldent hurt, after all if any gets in the Ali it would just join whats already there, at least in Duralamin.
              Poss an argon shroud might help with things too, just a guess
              The play sand idea worked, though the other types of sand available might be better other than that i think he did well, somthing to try at least.
              Puddle welding isnt a new thing, gantry rails on overhead gantrys are usually puddled on the joints, graphite forms and the biggest sticks i have ever seen or used, 1/2 rods about 3 or 4 feet long
              Weld done that man!
              Mark

Comment

No de-gasser, didn't skim off the dross and it's hard to say if the "sand" contaminated the metal but I would bet that there is porosity in the casting. With proper molds and a better arc rig (and technique) it would probably work OK.
                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Does the welder have to be a DC unit?

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
                    Interesting, but the definition of the cast part was poor. You'd need to oversize everything and hope it was close enough to machine to size. Perhaps with some experimenting one could overcome that.
                    Yes, this was a proof of concept run... baby steps. I got a suggestion in the Youtube comments to heat up the kinetic sand in a microwave and then tamp the part in place and allow to cool. So I'll try that next.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                      No de-gasser, didn't skim off the dross and it's hard to say if the "sand" contaminated the metal but I would bet that there is porosity in the casting. With proper molds and a better arc rig (and technique) it would probably work OK.
                      any suggestions on "a better arc rig" or just sayin? I haven't been able to find any references on arc furnace "technique" care to enlighten us?

Comment

Originally posted by _Paul_ View Post
                        Does the welder have to be a DC unit?

Paul
                        No, I think AC will work fine, but I haven't tested it.
                        Although, I think industrial arc furnaces are all DC. Slower electrode loss?

Comment

Originally posted by topct View Post
                          What would happen if you connected the welder lead directly to the graphite crucible? Or if you used just a plain graphite rod instead of a plated one? The rods they use for refining aluminum are not plated. A way to confine that mold material that did not burst into flames would also be a plus.
                          The graphite is very low resistance, so the cables and clamps would heat up at the same rate as the crucible.
                          I think the arc localizes the heat better, anybody know for sure?

Comment

What about two electrodes ?? nearly paralell, (increasing angle up toward the mounted ends)
                            to keep the arc at the bizness end.
                            Likely might have to be AC to keep from distroying the DECP electrode.

Or have the DCEP trode just a tad longer, and the short duration burn
                            it might end up a tad shorter.

A thin perishable copper or aluminum wire to trigger the arc, then lower into your crucible.

A helium back-gass would be a pluss too.
                            I did HeliArc (DC & helium) welding for three years.
                            I bet I could get a few cubic inches of aluminum molten in no time....
                            in a crucibal with a copper positive button in the bottom.

=================
                            Long ago I hit a ball of Silly-Puddy on a scrapped anvill with everything I could put
                            into a Two pound hammer.

There were small blue broken glass looking shards all over the basement,
                            that instantly melted back into little blue puddels of Silly-Puddy .

The hammer never saw the face of the anvill !!
                            >>Don't try this at HOME !<<
                            Last edited by Old Hat; 08-12-2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

They make automated air arc torch carriages. The rod feeder feeds in until it sees current flow and then pulls the rod back to start the arc. Then the controller watches the arc voltage and moves the rod in/out to maintain the arc voltage at the set point.

Comment

Working...
                              X