help get a 'kink' out of knife edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help get a 'kink' out of knife edge

Hope this isn't OT, but its metal.. and it's about a cool frikkn knife!

About 10 years ago my wife and I recieved a really nice knife set as a wedding gift.
    Shun knives -- didn't know anything about them before hand -- but appear to be quite expensive.

Its a japanese style hollow ground with one of those razor edges that hurt just to look at.
    It'll take hair right off my arm.

The one in question is this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0718-Cl.../dp/B0000Y7KPO

They don't come out very often (my wife is afraid of them!). Anyway long story short I was
    using it in the kitchen and put a very subtle 'kink' in the cutting edge. I must've hit something
    hard. Its so subtle its hard to photograph but its quite apparent when you're looking at it.
    (The reflections in the ground edge).

Almost looks like a "ding" in the side of ones car.. most visible with glancing light.

Any ideas for getting the ding out? (if even possible)

I think that as I sharpen this thing, the kink will start to become a U shaped notch.

I tried to burnish it out with an HSS round, but its just rolls through the ding and it just pops
    back up.

Its maybe 1/32" proud on one side (1/32 sunk on the other of course). and about a 1/4 long..
    maybe less.

Not the end of the world, but I'd love to get it out.

Thoughts?

If it's made like most Japanese knives, the centre layer will be hard steel , with softer steel laminated to each side. To take the kink out of the edge, you have to move the softer steel supporting the edge. That might require hammering, perhaps over the edge grain of a hardwood block. Of course, if you hit the centre layer, or come too close to it, that will probably break out a large chip.

Comment

I am not really a knife guy and hopefully some old hands will give some better advice. But you will probably have to "ruin it" first to make it right again. I would take a smooth file or stone and dull the edge till you get the ding out, then resharpen. BTW, this is not a plug, but I recently got one of those Work-Sharp Ken Onion sharpeners and being one of those guys that can't sharpen a toothpick, it's one of the better investments I've made in awhile. It does wonders on those hard-ass stainless kitchen knives.

Comment

Did you try with a tradional Butcher's steel? You might also show the knife to your local butcher and find out who does his sharpening, ask them if it can be "restored" without excessive grinding.

Comment

I tried to burnish it out with an HSS round, but its just rolls through the ding and it just pops
          back up.

Its maybe 1/32" proud on one side (1/32 sunk on the other of course). and about a 1/4 long..
          maybe less.
          That sounds like the metal may have stretched and probably can't just be pushed back into shape.

Comment

How about a heat and cool cycle? I am no knife expert, however!

Comment

Send it to Shun. They will send it back to you in like new condition for a reasonable price. They are very good knives for there design usage.

Comment

Send it back is the best advice. If it were mine though, I would try to hammer it out. I would use a hammer with a polished face that was slightly rounded and work against a polished flat steel surface. Don't try to sharpen it out. I make knives so perhaps I feel a bit more comfortable with trying to fix stuff like this.

Comment

I was given a Shun a couple of years ago and it is my go to knife for 90% of my usage. However it is not a knife that one can cut through bone. If you try that it will either bend or break the edge.

Knives are tools and as with all tools there are derivatives of the basic design for specific tasks. I have a dozen or more very good knives I have accumulated over the years, each for specific use.

The first good knife I had was a twelve inch butcher knife - it would take an edge you could actually shave with (50 yrs ago - today's dollars - well over $100.00). As it was my only good knife, I used it for everything including mincing garlic (teaches you to be aware of sharp edges real quick). I still have it and when I want to carve meat (raw or otherwise) it is my go to.

As time went on, I learned and picked up other knives that worked better for specific usages. My favorite knife changed from year to year until I was given a seven inch Shun. It never leaves the counter. I use it, I wash it, I put it back on the counter. That being said, it is a tool and its design does not allow it to come close to bone, I do not even us it to dejoint chicken wings.

Shun also sharpens its knives to a much shallower degree than most knives. So if you sharpen and maintain your own knives it requires one to develop new muscle memory.

You have a wonderful knife - visit the Shun website. It will give you the needed information for them to restore your knife to like new.

Comment

Damn, I thought this was about aerobatics.

Comment

Working...
                    X