Wire wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
    I have a bunch of 4 1/2 grinders, but my 20 year old 4 inch 10mm thread Makita won't die, so I still have to stock 4 inch stuff ( I do have an adapter now - thanks MM). It a bit wimpy for knotted brushes though. I busted the gears on my "new" 4 1/2 Makita twice using a knotted wire brush - pretty brutal on light grinders. My "go to" 4 1/2's are both Bosch - $10 each at a garage sales. I beat the crap out of them and they keep on running, but the end is near for one.

If you want them to last longer, take the gear box apart every year (dead simple) and grease with the same grease sold by Stihl for weed-eater heads - any Stihl dealer will have it.
    I've had this 4" Makita for over 30 years. It doesn't get a lot of use but when I need it it's there. Back in those days (it must have been shortly after
    the small angle grinders came out) they were very expensive and when i saw this one at a reasonable price at a fleamarket bought it. I'm not a weldor
    so it has done everything I've needed it for. That is why I want a 4" brush for it now.
    The welding supply place I was going to check is gone (store is empty) so I have to do some more looking to find another. I checked the thread andit is
    M10 x 1.25
    Thanks everyone.
    ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
      I've had this 4" Makita for over 30 years. It doesn't get a lot of use but when I need it it's there. Back in those days (it must have been shortly after
      the small angle grinders came out) they were very expensive and when i saw this one at a reasonable price at a fleamarket bought it. I'm not a weldor
      so it has done everything I've needed it for. That is why I want a 4" brush for it now.
      The welding supply place I was going to check is gone (store is empty) so I have to do some more looking to find another. I checked the thread andit is
      M10 x 1.25
      Thanks everyone.
      ...lew...
      If that's one of the 4" Makita grinders with the Aluminum gear case hang on to it.Those are some of the best grinders ever made IMO.We had two at work that lasted 8-10 years in a commercial daily use environment,tough little grinders.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

# Take the wheel guard off.
        # Use any wire wheel that fits in the space and on the spindle, inc a 6" wheel on a 4" grinder.
        # Wear welding gauntlets and safety specs.
        # Jobs a good 'un and don't be such a bunch of pansies (rhymes with safety-nazis).

Comment

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
          # Take the wheel guard off.
          # Use any wire wheel that fits in the space and on the spindle, inc a 6" wheel on a 4" grinder.
          # Wear welding gauntlets and safety specs.
          # Jobs a good 'un and don't be such a bunch of pansies (rhymes with safety-nazis).
          DO observe max RPM ratings. Most 4" grinders are 11~15,000RPM and 6" attachments are commonly 8000rpm. you do not want to be around when a wire wheel lets go.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
          X