• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black_Moons
    replied
    Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    # Take the wheel guard off.
    # Use any wire wheel that fits in the space and on the spindle, inc a 6" wheel on a 4" grinder.
    # Wear welding gauntlets and safety specs.
    # Jobs a good 'un and don't be such a bunch of pansies (rhymes with safety-nazis).
    DO observe max RPM ratings. Most 4" grinders are 11~15,000RPM and 6" attachments are commonly 8000rpm. you do not want to be around when a wire wheel lets go.

Leave a comment:

• thaiguzzi
    replied
    # Take the wheel guard off.
    # Use any wire wheel that fits in the space and on the spindle, inc a 6" wheel on a 4" grinder.
    # Wear welding gauntlets and safety specs.
    # Jobs a good 'un and don't be such a bunch of pansies (rhymes with safety-nazis).

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
    I've had this 4" Makita for over 30 years. It doesn't get a lot of use but when I need it it's there. Back in those days (it must have been shortly after
    the small angle grinders came out) they were very expensive and when i saw this one at a reasonable price at a fleamarket bought it. I'm not a weldor
    so it has done everything I've needed it for. That is why I want a 4" brush for it now.
    The welding supply place I was going to check is gone (store is empty) so I have to do some more looking to find another. I checked the thread andit is
    M10 x 1.25
    Thanks everyone.
    ...lew...
    If that's one of the 4" Makita grinders with the Aluminum gear case hang on to it.Those are some of the best grinders ever made IMO.We had two at work that lasted 8-10 years in a commercial daily use environment,tough little grinders.

Leave a comment:

• Lew Hartswick
    replied
    Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
    I have a bunch of 4 1/2 grinders, but my 20 year old 4 inch 10mm thread Makita won't die, so I still have to stock 4 inch stuff ( I do have an adapter now - thanks MM). It a bit wimpy for knotted brushes though. I busted the gears on my "new" 4 1/2 Makita twice using a knotted wire brush - pretty brutal on light grinders. My "go to" 4 1/2's are both Bosch - $10 each at a garage sales. I beat the crap out of them and they keep on running, but the end is near for one.

If you want them to last longer, take the gear box apart every year (dead simple) and grease with the same grease sold by Stihl for weed-eater heads - any Stihl dealer will have it.
    I've had this 4" Makita for over 30 years. It doesn't get a lot of use but when I need it it's there. Back in those days (it must have been shortly after
    the small angle grinders came out) they were very expensive and when i saw this one at a reasonable price at a fleamarket bought it. I'm not a weldor
    so it has done everything I've needed it for. That is why I want a 4" brush for it now.
    The welding supply place I was going to check is gone (store is empty) so I have to do some more looking to find another. I checked the thread andit is
    M10 x 1.25
    Thanks everyone.
    ...lew...

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    I have a bunch of 4 1/2 grinders, but my 20 year old 4 inch 10mm thread Makita won't die, so I still have to stock 4 inch stuff ( I do have an adapter now - thanks MM). It a bit wimpy for knotted brushes though. I busted the gears on my "new" 4 1/2 Makita twice using a knotted wire brush - pretty brutal on light grinders. My "go to" 4 1/2's are both Bosch - $10 each at a garage sales. I beat the crap out of them and they keep on running, but the end is near for one.

If you want them to last longer, take the gear box apart every year (dead simple) and grease with the same grease sold by Stihl for weed-eater heads - any Stihl dealer will have it.

Leave a comment:

• Black_Moons
    replied
    You have to buy a 4 1/2" grinder to use most angle grinder accessories.

4 1/2" to 12" all use the same thread and pilot size (But please note that 6" and bigger accessories have a LOWER rpm rating then a 4 1/2" angle grinder!)

4" use some other thread and are MUCH harder to find accessories for that fit. (the M10 mentioned in other posts?) You will find them basically marketed as "for 4" grinders"

As far as how much to pay for an angle grinder. Iv bought two ($20) cheap ones, burned out the trigger switch (Was only working occasionally?) on one and decided it had long since given me more use then any other power tool in my shop. So I bought a $120 one and it is rather nice to use.

I generally buy cheap tools and only use them for what they are designed for, they last a long way that time and if I burn them out doing what they are designed to do with lots of normal use, I upgrade to better tools. So far that is pretty much only my angle grinder that I have upgraded. they really are wonderful tools.
    Last edited by Black_Moons; 08-20-2014, 10:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    On a new AEG angle grinder I bought recently it has an anti vibration handle that screws onto the head. It makes a big difference to the numbing situation mentioned earlier in this thread. If I have a lot to do with my other angle grinder I actually switch the handle over to the Flex brand grinder.

Leave a comment:

• wtrueman
    replied
    Whoops: Saw wire wheel. My add ons are for disc and cut off wheels, sorry. Wayne.

Leave a comment:

• wtrueman
    replied
    This maybe somewhat strange but I machine washers to accommodate a few different wheels. I start with my 7 inch, grind down to 5 inch. switch to another disc grinder, grind down to about 3 inch and switch to my die grinder' When finished, the wheel is about 1.5 inch and I have maybe gone to the Dremel a couple of times. I hate to throw these away. But I am retired and .... Wayne.

Leave a comment:

• RussZHC
    replied
    I like the Walter abrasives...http://www.walter.com/Walter/en-ca/a...s/wire-brushes
    guy I buy them from lets me have them cheap, for some reason they never seem to be popular, for me, perfect but then I like many of Walter's abrasive products.

Gotta say I am surprised at the metric threads...Canada has been supposedly metric since, what? 1974? and I still buy all my stuff 5/8 threaded and it fits the Makitas I have or have had, couple of 4 1/2" and the 7" and all the rest, DeWalts, Cdn Tire Max etc..
    Curious, so I had to look, the US Makita site only lists one 4" angle grinder, and it appears to be the only one with metric (10 x 1.25) threads, all the remaining 4 1/2" and larger ones are 5/8 x 11. Never had 4" as most seem to have the handle design that angles slightly, which I can't stand.

Leave a comment:

• metalmagpie
    replied
    I used to have a pair of 4" Makita grinders. I discovered that at my local Ace hardware (McLendon) there was a Forney section and in it they had 10mm to 5/8-11 adapters. Never used another 10mm item again. Those adapters are (or were) inexpensive, too, just a few bucks.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied
    Not exactly to topic, but...
    For wire wheels I like a slower speed grinder, or one with variable speed.
    I think Milwaukee and Metabo make variable speed models.
    What I use for wire wheels is an old 7" Wildcat (style) grinder, really a
    sander, because speed is 3200 rpm, rather that 7000 rpm for that size
    of a grinder. The 4 1/2" size grinders are 10,000 rpm or more. A little
    scary to run wire wheels that fast, even though they are rated for it.
    --Doozer

Leave a comment:

• Forrest Addy
    replied
    Makite has an M10 spindle thread. Remove the spindle nut and loose washer and store them someplace handy. Screw the wheel directly on the spindle. You will probably want at least two angle grinders in the 4" to 5" range if you do much metal fabrication. One for grinding, one for wire brushing.

Here you go. It's an eBay search under "wire cup wheel."

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...wheel&_sacat=0

My first search return was "DeWalt 3" knotted wire cup wheel ... fits Makita," four for $19.95 BIN. Pretty convenient huh?

Use the wheels with an integral threaded hub. Makita has a 10MM spindle so that's what you look for. I have a half dozen angle grinders of several brands from a Metabo 6.8 Amp top quality tool I use for grinding welds and touching up fit-ups to several Harbor Freight I use for specail purposes like flap wheels for fine finishing. I have one with a skinny 1/8 parting wheel, one with a coarse knotted wire cup wheel I use for rust and scale. One finer wire cup wheel I use for general clean-up, One with a sanding disk, and a couple duplicates at the other end of the shop. Get the idea: Need a certain wheel? Grab the grinder equipped with it. No stopping to swap wheels.

The cheap ones are cheap naturally but if you can tolerate trading-in the lemons until you get a good one, cheap grinders work out well for limited uses. If your needs require reliability and hogging power you better get the $150 models.

Balance in high speed power tools is always a problem. My complaint is something called vibration neuopathy where the hand tingles long after the work is done and if the vibration is protracted, your hands grow numb. You do a lot of high speed hand grinding you may get some permanent sensation loss.

Most cases some vibration can't be helped because abrasive wheel wear and wire shedding cannot be controlled for symmetrical loss. Padded gloves help but,... I've found no good solution. A grinder on which s mounted an almost perfect wheel may run sweet but after a few minutes and maybe a catch or two, your hands are tingling.

The better consumer grade grinders are usually in good balance when run without a wheel. Cheaper one less so. Let that be your first check when you get home with a new grinder and open the box. If you feel vibration, take it back. The best feedback we consumers have available to us is return of defective merchandise. Store management and the manufacturers HATE returns; they lose money and it affects the sales/production numbers. Thus returns instigates a powerful incentive to improve quality as a way to reduce returns.

Work safely: Cup wheels throw wires hard enough to penetrate jeans. You generally use an angle grinder below waist level. Don't get a wire stuck in the ped of your hecker.
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 08-18-2014, 12:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ries
    replied
    I have a dozen angle grinders in my shop, we use em a lot.
    I stick with Weiler wire brushes- I have always been happy with the quality-
    there are two metric sizes- 10mm and 14mm
    http://www.weilercorp.com/wc670_catalog/26.pdf

My welding supply shop stocks maybe 20 different sizes and types of wire brushes for angle grinders- I think you will be able to find what you need at one.

Me, I have Amazon Prime, so orders of small stuff are all free shipping.
    They say you need to make 7 to 10 orders a year to break even paying for Amazon Prime.
    I looked it up, we made 38 orders so far this year, and 54 last year- so its well worth it for me to pay for Prime.
    I had one order last year where I saved $400 in shipping by having Amazon Prime.
    Amazon has Amazon Supply now- its their attempt to compete with grainger and mcmaster, and while its nowhere near as good as mcmaster, it still has a lot of hardware and industrial stuff, and, with free shipping from Prime, I use it a fair amount.
    But I live in the country- takes me about an hour and a half, round trip, and maybe 5 bucks worth of gas, to go to Home Depot, so free shipping and no driving is a no-brainer.

Leave a comment:

• Lew Hartswick
    replied
    I'll check the threads Thanks. I didn't think the balance would be bad enough to keep a
    regular wheel with a hole from working adequately, in a 4" one. The bigger ones like
    6 and 8 inch on a bench grinder seem to work just fine. :-)
    There is a welding supply place down the street a few miles I'll stop in tomorrow and
    see if they stock such. I hate to order a little bit of stuff like this.
    Thanks again for input.
    ...lew...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X