No announcement yet.

My daughter's first solo flight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I till remember mine (38 years ago), specifically the big shock as to how the Piper 140 leapt into the air unhindered by the 275lb+ instructor, and how it floated "forever" on landing. lol. Quite a buzz.

Comment

We all talked about the cutting of the shirt thing. I had not heard of that before.
      It didn't happen. If you look close she had on her shirt she got from the EAA when she went to a week long camp out there when she was 14. The local EAA chapter offered up a scholarship to a Civil Air Patrol kid. She Jumped on it and we payed the difference.
      After college she is headed to the USAF. She would love to a pilot there, but those slots are drying up.

Comment

I owned a J-5A for a time. I had no need for an airspeed indicator, just used a calendar instead. That plane was fun but speed was not one of its strong points.

Errol
        Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
        http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
          She would love to a pilot there, but those slots are drying up.
          I watched a nephew graduate from the academy in 2013 and was surprised by the number of guys going on to pilot training. Not sure how many wash out, but it seemed like they were still cranking out a fair amount of pilots. I'm sure she'll still have a shot.
          George
          Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post
            I watched a nephew graduate from the academy in 2013 and was surprised by the number of guys going on to pilot training. Not sure how many wash out, but it seemed like they were still cranking out a fair amount of pilots. I'm sure she'll still have a shot.
            Well, that may be true George. But another thing, she is only 5', so she is too short to be a fighter pilot!
            But she could be part of some other flight crew. Plus, her major is history. Most fighter pilots are in the engineering fields.

Comment

It may not hold her back. The son of a friend has a recent major in History, and just got accepted into Officer training for the Air National Guard to fly C130's. He has about 100 hours of private pilot flight experience and no prior job since college. He's so happy someone will pay for him to learn how to fly, and he can still pursue a civilian flying job.

Comment

My daughter actually job shadowed a woman (Major I think??) that is a navigator on C130's out of the ANG base in Scotia NY. They are the ones that fly the SkiBirds with rocket assist.
                We got to sit in the right and left seats! I liked the little steering wheel to control the front landing gear direction.

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post
                  I kept looking at the right seat during my three TOs and landings; couldn't believe I was alone.
                  I also soloed in a C152 and that was the thing that freaked me out. I was totally fine all the way from taxiing through takeoff, but I was in a right hand pattern and when I looked over at my right wing before the first turn and it sunk in that there was no one in that seat, my heart skipped a few beats. Besides that it was pretty uneventful (except for my instructor having the tower controller tell me to go around just as I was flaring for the second landing).

And you guys are right: that was back in 1991 and I still remember that afternoon like it was yesterday.

Comment

" What a Feeling"! Irene Cara's famous music from Flashdance popped into mind as I read your description. Congratulations to her and to you too for the wonderful job you've done.

Comment

Originally posted by mooney1el View Post
                      " What a Feeling"! Irene Cara's famous music from Flashdance popped into mind as I read your description. Congratulations to her and to you too for the wonderful job you've done.
                      Thanks! I hope we did a good job! However, she's only 1/3 of my group. She's a triplet. The other two are
                      also headed off to college!

Comment

In that case, they deserve equal time. It's only fair! Let's have some pics and biography on the other two!
                        Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                          . . .she is only 5', so she is too short to be a fighter pilot!. . .
                          Hey, she's tall enough for her feet to reach the ground and that'll work for a lot of flying jobs. It isn't fighters, but after more than 34 years of commercial flying I still find it fun. There is also drug interdiction plus all sorts of law enforcement possibilities that add a little excitement to the work.
                          Southwest Utah

Comment

My solo happened in 1976 in a Cessna 150 and it was a flight I will never forget for a couple of reasons! First was the kind of loneliness that can only be experienced by looking over at that empty right seat but the real excitement came when due to my nervousness I failed to properly secure that little door on the right side of the cowling after checking the oil, all went well at first but at the slightest bank to the left that thing started banging away and scared the you-know-what out of me! I realized quickly that flying straight ahead seemed normal but the clattering in even a gentle left bank was unnerving to say the least, actually it wasn't all that loud but I didn't know what was causing it so it was highly amplified by my nervousness and when I exited the plane after landing I was so tensed up I was actually sore the next day. We all got a good laugh that day but it sure didn't seem funny at the time.

Comment

May I suggest the next step is Sail Plane transition. She will have a ball there also. :-)
                              ...lew...

Comment

Congrats Sid,so good to see kids stepping up and becoming adults!
                                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                                X