Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mitutoyo 192-116 Dual beam Height Gage - very sticky/jumpy - what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitutoyo 192-116 Dual beam Height Gage - very sticky/jumpy - what to do?

Hi -

I bought a Mitutoyo height gage on ebay and just opened the box. It looks to be very good shape - i.e. no dings, rust etc., but the dial adjustment is very sticky and it's impossible to set the needle on the dial without it jumping around by 5 - 10 thou. I have tried it at the lowest and the highest heights and it's worse the higher you go, but not very much, so I am not sure if the thing is out of alignment or if the gears and mechanism inside are just "gummed up".

The p/n is 192-116 and it's a 12" dual beam mechanical dial one with the resettable mechanical 0.1 counters for up/down.

Not wanting to open it up and mess with it until I have a feel for what I am getting into, nyone have any experience with these that can guide me in the right direction?

The unit was advertised as "excellent" condition even though the seller did not offer returns.....maybe that should have tipped me off *sigh*

Thanks very much,
    Lewis

Get some starrett gage lube and clean it up and relube the moving parts.

If it is not completely functional you can return it. Used on ebay means it must work as it should. They are pretty strict on that now. If you dont want to deal with it talk to the seller first and if he does not agree to allow it to be returned then you can escalate it to a claim. At that point he will be probably forced to accept the return.

Comment

I am not sure I want to open it up and fiddle with the innerds, but does the lube also apply to the beams as well? I can try that. I'd really like to keep this unit as cosmetically it looks perfect...other than "werner's" name engraved on the base with an unpronouncable last name.....however, owning an instrument that was once used by a German machinist....now that's added value for me as a newbie - haha.

This is actually the first thing I have ever bought via auction on ebay so I hope I don't end up with a sour taste from it all. Anyway, I emailed the seller and did it from ebay "case" section so there's a "trail" of sorts.

Thanks very much for your input.

Originally posted by macona View Post
      Get some starrett gage lube and clean it up and relube the moving parts.

If it is not completely functional you can return it. Used on ebay means it must work as it should. They are pretty strict on that now. If you dont want to deal with it talk to the seller first and if he does not agree to allow it to be returned then you can escalate it to a claim. At that point he will be probably forced to accept the return.

Comment

I would contact the seller before you do any tinkering with it and see what he has to say. You may be able to negotiate a partial refund. I believe that ebay now makes the seller pay the return shipping on an item not as described. Good luck.

JL.................

Comment

We had one in work, it fell over and went the same way, probable knocked one of the beams, shoved a guage block between them and slid it along, it started to bind towards the top, bit of gentle prying improved the situation along with a spray of ptfe dry lube, looked like the clock head was crabbing a bit.
          Hope you can fix it but return and repair looks like a possibility.
          Mark

Comment

The beams are out of sync.
            I'd have to see it, or maybe your town has a instrument guy that'll put 'er right.

Comment

"I believe that ebay now makes the seller pay the return shipping on an item not as described. Good luck."

really? do you have any info on that? that would mean, i can return all junk stuff i bought from hong konk? last time i checked, i was supposed to pay for shipping.

Comment

If need be, you can send it to Mitutoyo repair in Canada: http://www.mitutoyo.com/support/repair-service/

RWO

Comment

Take the back off, after removing the handwheel. It's not that complicated inside, basically there are two resettable counters and the related gearing, and that's it. The counters, IIRC, are removable as a unit. I would check to see if there is any dirt in the gear teeth, especially on the gears that mesh with the beams. The beams have different gear pitches, one for elevation, the other for the counters.
                  A friend gave one of these height gages to my son, because one of the counters wouldn't reset and it was missing the scribe. I was able to get the counter working, a very small spring managed to get unhooked from a pin, it took forever to find this out and about as long to figure out how to rehook it. Bought a new scriber from MSC, IIRC, it's a little shorter on the stick out than the original for this model.
                  Lubricate the works with very light oil, and that will probably solve the sticking problem.
                  Harry

Comment

Have used a fine brush to clean the grooves in the beams. Starrett tool oil helps. Never grab the beams to pick up or otherwise move the gage around, you could unconsciously squeeze the beams towards each other and wind up with distorted beams.
                    As I have never been inside one of them. That is about the limit of my advise.
                    Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

Hi Guys - thought I would post up a little update - I'm still awaiting word from the seller and if I hear nothing in a few more days, we kick it upstairs to ebay for resolution.

In the meantime I had a quick chat with the lads at Long Island Indicator service in.....yep, Long Island - lol.
                      What a great bunch! They cautioned me against opening it up but did outline all the issues that they have seen in the hundreds of these gages they have repaired. if I end up stuck with the thing, I will send it off to them for a quote.

Lewis

Comment

Working...
                      X