No announcement yet.

This weekend's project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's one great thing that has changed, at least we got CF's and LED bulbs for trouble lights now, it beats being backed into a corner under a dash with a 75 watt IC bulb that just fell off it's top perch and landed on the side of your neck complete with steel cage,,, damn I used to hate that, about as close to being tortured as I think iv ever been...

Comment

If I had to do that job the car would never run again. When I looked at the pictures of all you had to take out of the car to get to the part that needed to be fixed I said to myself, "I would sell that car and buy another."

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I think they misspelled FOCUS, the O should be a U

My '47 Bonanza has an ice tray in the ceiling with a flap you can open & it works rather well.
        Last edited by flylo; 08-24-2014, 12:59 PM.

Comment

My commiserations! I did that to my 2000 focus last year as there was a hole in the evap big enough to let the whole charge out in about 30s. I already knew that I wouldn't be able to get the hoses off the firewall to get the evap out so I bought new ones and cut the old ones off (also let me put in a variable orifice port too, which is the bomb). Took about 20h by myself, which wasn't bad considering. Would have been trim perfect too, if only I hadn't forgotten to put the passenger airbag deflector in. Getting that damn airbag cover out and back in again bent it so it doesn't fit flat anymore.

Tell you what though, it was worth every hour and penny when we crossed the country last month and it's been used heavily since we got here!

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
            Getting that damn airbag cover out and back in again bent it so it doesn't fit flat anymore.
            I guess earlier models must be different. We didn't do any airbag removal at all. Instead of following the book and taking off the the steering wheel, then the column shroud, yada, yada, we took the whole steering column, shaft & wheel off as a unit to get it out of the way. The other bag stayed in the dash which was removed as a unit.

It's upper 90's & oppressive humidity here today & daughter's already called to thank me again.
            Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

This thread reminds me of a buddy who was an aircraft mechanic. He was having a really tough time replacing the throttle cable on a Learjet, so he called the factory. The guy said it only takes about 30 minutes. My buddy says there isn't much room to work, he can't see how it could be done that fast. The guy asks him what is in the way? He says "The engine!" The guy is incredulous, he says "You mean you haven't removed the engine yet?" He got it done in about 4 hours without removing the engine. I'd bet it was done correctly too. We worked together as electricians and he was incredibly careful and never made mistakes. I'd try to speed him up a bit by saying "Joe, it's not going to fly, no one gets killed if it isn't perfect!"

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
                I guess earlier models must be different. We didn't do any airbag removal at all. Instead of following the book and taking off the the steering wheel, then the column shroud, yada, yada, we took the whole steering column, shaft & wheel off as a unit to get it out of the way. The other bag stayed in the dash which was removed as a unit.

It's upper 90's & oppressive humidity here today & daughter's already called to thank me again.
                Could be. I had to take the airbag out to unbolt something behind it to pull the dash out (out something like that, the mental scars are still fresh!), which took me a good hour or so to figure out how to do. Lots of creative swivel extension work and swearing. Then after I finished I found out that you can just unbolt a few things and tilt the whole dash forward without taking it out still, paying a mechanic $1000+ to do it wasn't an option and the kids didn't murder each other on the trip!

I do think it ranks as the most unpleasant car repair I've done so far, closely followed by changing the timing belt and water pump..

Comment

Oh, what a flinker of a job.

I hope I never have to find out if my jetta is that hard. AC still runs cold and it's a 2004.

A few of the vw's like mine had a weird "coolant migration" problem. Thank Jehova, not mine.

They had a defective coolant overflow tank. When the coolant tank was pressurized, it would literally pump coolant into the wiring harness through the sensor cable. And since the harness was all sealed from the outside world with o-ring connectors, it would ruin the whole harness.

The fix involved gutting the interior and replacing the whole dang harness. Reportedly cost over ten grand for the full fix, usually on VW's nickel.

Glad it's back together.

doug

Comment

Working...
                  X