Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy

Hi Guys-

Gronk here. I have been making chips for 64 years, and don't have enough sense to quit. Since I retired from my last 8-4 job-- one and sometime later 2 man toolroom machinist for a medical device company, I have worked about 4 hours a day in the home shop that my two sons share with me, making old car parts and rebuilding Stanley steam car engines. Finally had enough of that, and since I don't have room for more cars of my own , was thinking about building a small IC engine- Another lifelong hobby is modeling in scale 1/48 railroading, I have a couple locos (scratch built) with on board battery and radio control, the rest running pantographs on over head wire. Stopped doing work for outsiders, going to work on my own stuff in the time that I have left.

Gronk

Welcome aboard and enjoy the forum. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say I would love to see you post some pictures of your scale locomotives you have built!
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Welcome and yes, pictures would be great.

Comment

Welcome to the asylum Pictures of your projects would be great.
        Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Welcome to the best machinist board on the net. I'm happy to see someone who is interested in model RRing. It has been many years since I had a layout (HO) and I really thought that after I retired I would have time for it again. But so far that has not worked out.

Anyway, welcome to you. Pour yourself a cup and chat away.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

This is a great forum for newbies and experts and everything in between. I have learned a lot from those who have been very kind and patient as I have attempted (and often succeeded) with metalworking projects, and I hope I have been helpful with my own expertise in various niches of electronics. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your model RR items. I enjoyed them from when I was a child and I still have a lot of HO rolling stock and accessories that I may one day revive. Welcome!
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

In Response to Request for Photos

OK, here are some pix.

First, a freelanced 4 wheel Baldwin-Westinghouse box cab. Completely scratchbuilt, including pantograph.

And a pair of more typical ones, same construction

Next, a Reading 0-4-0 Camelback. This has a two cell LiPo for power, and a Stanton S-CAB radio receiver

In process--

I think that there is a fourphotos/post, so continued

Gronk

Comment

More

Next, a Ingersol-Rand "Oil-Electric". Second iteration of the first successful diesel loco.

Trucks are all ball bearing.

Comment

And finished

I enjoy making complex trackwork

Thanks for your interest. All models are 1/48 scale ("O Gage")

Gronk
                  Last edited by gronk; 08-24-2014, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Boy, am I ever igger-ant.

Didn't thank you folks for the warm welcome Glad you were interested in my sub-hobby.

And also forgot to mention that the I-R loco is also radio controlled, again with Stanton S-CAB.

And Muttley, I don't live very far from you. Gromit

Sorry, he comes in and paws at the keyboard when my back is turned. BAD DOG!

Gronk
                    Last edited by gronk; 08-24-2014, 10:17 PM. Reason: correct spueling

Comment

You have some great work there. Very nice photos also. Welcome, this is really a great board. There is much info here, both questions and answers.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the outstanding pics. They exude obvious high quality workmanship. I dd N-scale back a few decades. Kind of miss that hobby, and kind of glad I don't have another hobby right now.

Carry on!

doug

Comment

Muttley says "Hi" (well, actually, more like "wroof!"). If you are nearby, maybe we can swap some tooling or collaborate on some projects, or just take the dogs for a short walk (my back problems make long walks difficult). I have some interesting HO stuff, but I think 1/48 scale is much smaller. There is someone on MEM that does a lot 2mm scale which may be smaller than 1/48.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/inde...66404#msg66404

Yes, I see that 1/48 scale is commonly known as "O" gauge:

http://modeltrains.about.com/od/oscale/

We had those when I was a kid, and my uncle even had a rather rare "OO" gauge set.

http://modeltrains.about.com/od/otherscales/
                          Last edited by PStechPaul; 08-25-2014, 07:51 PM. Reason: added links
                          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Great work on those model trains!

Meanwhile, we run "L" gauge here!!

Comment

L guage?

Wot the L is L gauge? Must be Chinese, or that little guy in the pix is suffering from severe kidney dysfunction!

Comment

Working...
                              X