Pan box brake plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pan box brake plans

I have a use for a pan box brake and came across the below pan box brake and found out the plans were in Metalworking, Book Two, The Best of Projects in Metal and was by Glenn Wilson.

I've tried locating this book with no success so does anyone have a copy of this book they would sell or alternatively be able to send me a copy of the article.......Thanks

Not sure if it's the same one but there was a multi-issue article in Home Shop Machinist a few years ago. This may help...

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...ighlight=brake

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-Brake-Article

Comment

I've always had a use for one too. That's a lot of work building one, Even a small one as pictured. I thought about it several times, even started drawing up some rough plans. . For what you'll have in materials you could almost buy one from Northern Hydraulics or some other catalog.

JL................

Comment

Heres an alternate build that I did a while back that came from our forum sponsers HSM magazine, I think it is a great little brake. Not exactly a quick build...

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...ger-Brake-quot

By the way, I think Glenn Wilsons projects are just good stuff, I have built several of his projects

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Bill, how many hours would you say you have into that masterpiece??? and what is the approximate cost of materials?? Looks like 3/4" plate.

JL..............

Comment

Bought a 48 in box brake from Enco some time ago for less than $300, free shipping on sale. Don't see how you could beat it. Bob.

Comment

Joe,
              Gosh, I built that back in '08 and and I usually dont keep track of the time anyway... so I really have no idea on time, but as you can probably see it wasnt a weekend project! As for materials that is 1/2" plate and Im pretty sure every piece of it was scrap yard pickins. Michael has done several write-ups for HSM and does a good job of presenting a project, it was a fun project.
              If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Fisher View Post
                Bought a 48 in box brake from Enco some time ago for less than $300, free shipping on sale. Don't see how you could beat it. Bob.
                That sure was a good deal. Never see a deal like that again.

JL.............

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pace View Post
                  Joe,
                  Gosh, I built that back in '08 and and I usually dont keep track of the time anyway... so I really have no idea on time, but as you can probably see it wasnt a weekend project! As for materials that is 1/2" plate and Im pretty sure every piece of it was scrap yard pickins. Michael has done several write-ups for HSM and does a good job of presenting a project, it was a fun project.
                  I don't usually keep tract of time on my big projects either, at least not by the hour. All I can say is some of them take several months or more.
                  Yes, I can see it wasn't a weekend project. None of mine are either.
                  Our local scrap yard won't re-sell any thing any more so if I want it I have to buy it new. It's a shame because one of the guys used to put all the brass, alum. and stainless stuff aside for me to pick through. But I'm guessing since there aren't any businesses around here any more they probably don't get much good stuff, just junk cars and appliances, nothing there for me.

JL................

Comment

I found a 60" Dries&Krump 14ga box&pan brake that was going for scrap,the cast iron fingers had been butchered up and welding on and the eccentric on the handles where worn badly and the info I got on it is a 1913 or in that vintage.Milled new finger extensions and machined new eccentrics for the handles and made new pins for the pivot points.The cast fingers are removed from the back of the machine and the 9" ones are heavy and are 22" long.Have not got it painted yet will do that in winter.

Comment

Working...
                    X