My Toolpost Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Toolpost Project

I just thought you all might like to see the results of the recent good advice I got here. Here's my new toolpost in a partially complete stage.

Again, thanks to all for the great advise.

Paul A.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Looking good Paul! Can't wait to see the finished product.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Now we know what the slots were about. Is that for your SB? If so I think I will have to make one as well. Please show more pics.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Roger on the SB.

I'll post more pix as work progresses.

Paul A.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Nice Work Paul, Keep us posted as to your progress. That would be cool

Rob

Comment

Good work, looking forward to seeing your completed project!

Comment

Looking good!
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Looking good, Paul! Just make sure that the top of the compound is flat---it wasn't/isn't on my M-W/Logan and I have to shim one corner of the base to keep everything on the center line.

Comment

Well, it's coming along. All the top holes are drilled, bored, and counterbored where necessary. All the toolholders fit the post perfectly - well almost.

Now comes the interesting work. I plan to mill a flat on the post and cut one corner off each toolholder for a clamp. This should allow the tools to be removed and reinstalled in the exact same position. I started tonight but no pictures yet.

Paul A.
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Damn Paul, not only does the work look superb but your photography is excellent.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
                      Damn Paul, not only does the work look superb but your photography is excellent.</font>
                      Evan,

Photoshop helps.

Actually, they don't really look that good. The faces of the toolholders are either the original mill finish or fly cut. Something happens when you reduce the size of the picture. It'a called blurring.

Now, if only if I could work as fast as you do.

Paul A.

[This message has been edited by Paul Alciatore (edited 05-12-2004).]
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Paul,

I don't feel like I work very fast. I find myself sitting on my stool in my shop woolgathering sometimes because I can't immediately find the allen wrench I need to adjust something. I think however the main reason that I do get anything done is because nearly all my working life I have worked without direct supervision. If I didn't tell myself to "Get a move on!" I would have been out of a job. It's an old habit. (my wife may be tempted to disagree)

Comment

Paul, Nice work! Wish that I could get the motivation to get things done like this! Got a couple of questions..... what clearance did you use between the post and the tool holders? and are all the slots cut for the same size toolbits?

Comment

Looks real nice. I built mine several years ago now and they work well. A word of advice though. You should either give up smoking or quite laying your fags on the corner of the bench. Hate to see all that nice work get smoked.

Comment

Nice work Paul;
                              Everytime I think about getting another lathe to replace my SB9 one of you guys come up with a project like this, then I can't justify getting rid of it Keep up the good work
                              Jim
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X