Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cover for the tank I made from the end cap off the 500-gallon tank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cover for the tank I made from the end cap off the 500-gallon tank.

I knew it was coming, so I went ahead and made the aluminum ring for the cover that goes on the tank I made from the end cap off the 500-gallon propane tank.

It's made from 1 1/4"x 1/8" angle. I did some calculations to determine how many saw cuts it would take to let me bend the angle into a ring with a 42" diameter. I had to do a little filing on the ends of the cut to get it to bend enough, though.

Then I cut an arc on a piece of scrap to use as a jig for welding the cuts.

I worked my way around the circle, and an hour later I had the ring finished.

I haven't decided if the middle is going to be a piece of galvanized ductwork sheet metal from the AC shop or a piece of aluminum. The sheet metal will require rivets and sealer, but the aluminum will be welded.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

You have probably stated it else where but I am just curious.

Where & why do you have access to so many tanks
    George from Conyers Ga.
    Remember
    The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Somebody at the school has connections with the local propane suppliers. We get tanks that are taken out of service for various reasons, so some are damaged or corroded. Occasionally we get one that was lacking a data plate. Most of them date from the '60s and '70s.

I decided to go with the aluminum because I didn't want the rivets to keep the cover from fitting closely to the rim of the tank. We cut it just right to fit inside the ring. It only took a couple taps with the rubber mallet to seat it.

Then I welded in several places around the diameter with the spool gun.

They've been painting on the tank. It sure is yellow.

Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
      X