My mitutoyo died today. :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mitutoyo died today. :(

My trusty 17 year old mitutoyo digital calipers died today. It started getting worse and worse with jumping around in certain spots. So today I took it apart and cleaned it and noticed the caliper body don't fit tight anymore (worn I guess) so the electronic board doesn't sit tight against the magnetic strip which makes the calipers error out and skip all over and whatnots. I'm sad. I can find a replacement on ebay for around $60-80 which isn't bad I don't think for a mitutoyo. But I remember reading many saying those $25 harbor freight deals aren't to bad? Worth it to get a mitutoyo again or would you go another route.

I am using one of my mechanical back ups. I haven't used a mechanical in years, its odd to me.
    Andy

Tried replacing the battery? My calipers always start jumping around when the battery is near dead, its how I know to change em.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
      Tried replacing the battery? My calipers always start jumping around when the battery is near dead, its how I know to change em.

Yeah, I actually just replaced the battery because the screen was starting to get hard to see only like a month ago. The battery is strong yet but I can actually wiggle the caliper bodies and watch the display jump around.
      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
        My trusty 17 year old mitutoyo digital calipers died today. It started getting worse and worse with jumping around in certain spots. So today I took it apart and cleaned it and noticed the caliper body don't fit tight anymore (worn I guess) so the electronic board doesn't sit tight against the magnetic strip which makes the calipers error out and skip all over and whatnots. ..........
        I take it that the looseness is in the direction at right angles to the spring gibs? There may be a spring setup to hold it down on the reader strip as well.... and it may have worn through from use.

If so, it probably is not extra critical, since it just has to hold teh reader down on the strip. You may be able to either make one, or check the Long Island Indicator website for possible parts sources.
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Sound like a good time to try an Interapid or Browne & Sharpe, same thing I think. No offense,but I wouldn't trade one for a Mitutoyo.

Sarge

Comment

There is a reason that Chinese calipers are so cheap and it isn't because they are good.

I watched a review of several of the most common Chinese calipers and the guy put them through a quit a battery of tests. Most failed miserably from an accuracy point of view. The only one that came close to Mitutoyo quality was I think the I-Gage ones which cost a lot more then the average Chinese ones, about half that of a Mitutoyo.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Sounds like a good time to try an Interapid or a Browne & Sharp, same thing I think. No offense, but I wouldn't trade one for a Mitutoyo.

Sarge

Comment

We may look like we're dozing at the keyboard but we heard you the first time, Sarge.

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
                Sounds like a good time to try an Interapid or a Browne & Sharp, same thing I think. No offense, but I wouldn't trade one for a Mitutoyo.

Sarge
                "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  I take it that the looseness is in the direction at right angles to the spring gibs? There may be a spring setup to hold it down on the reader strip as well.... and it may have worn through from use.

If so, it probably is not extra critical, since it just has to hold teh reader down on the strip. You may be able to either make one, or check the Long Island Indicator website for possible parts sources.
                  I have had this caliper apart probably 10 times over its life for cleanings. The two parts always slid nicely and were tight. Now the two parts wiggle the opposite way of the adjustable gib. There is no adjustment to take up the slop besides putting the female part of the caliper in the press and "squishing it".

I am almost positive it happened over time from me abusing it by using the tips to mark material while it is turning. Over all the problem free years I was starting to think these calipers were indestructible, I got to rough on them. I think I need a couple calipers around, maybe a cheap one for every day beatings and then another good replacement for the mitu's for the finer work.
                  Andy

Comment

the screen was starting to get hard to see only like a month ago
                    That's how my trusty Mitutoyo caliper started dying as well.
                    I had her for 15 years until she finally died completely.
                    I went back to using Dial calipers. I'd had enough of the scale blipping out, re-zeroing, getting it wet, batteries dying, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
                      That's how my trusty Mitutoyo caliper started dying as well.
                      I had her for 15 years until she finally died completely.
                      I went back to using Dial calipers. I'd had enough of the scale blipping out, re-zeroing, getting it wet, batteries dying, etc.
                      My experience too with Mitutoyo.
                      "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

If my 20+ year old Mitutoyo Absolute 6"/150mm calipers (I have two) ever do die, they will be replaced by the same. No mechanical dial caliper would ever last as long as these with the amount of use they get, nor can they be "zeroed out" to check a center distance or incremental distance. I have NEVER had any problems with them!

I have two Starret digital electronic calipers you can have....dead as a doornail and no parts available at Starrett. I brought them to their headquarters and tried. They will give me a small discount on their new ones, but I'm not throwing good money after bad.

Comment

OK.... if it be dead, then it be dead....

I have several dial calipers, and ONE digital...... I hate it.... Too easy to get a wrong reading, even if you have checked zero, which I do by reflex....

I have yet to be fooled by a dial.... I have fooled myself a few times over 35 years or so, but more times than that with one set of digital, that I have only had a couple or three years.
                          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I have a pair of Mit dial calipers that are older than I am. I abuse them and at one point, I had them completely disassembled to rewind the anti-backlash spring after they took a hard fall from a mill table, but aside from that never had any issues. I wouldn't trade them for a digital pair. So... my (highly subjective!) advice is to get a replacement *mechanical* Mit caliper.

Comment

Mitutoyo Digimatic, and Mitutoyo Absolute models, put everything else to shame
                              for long trouble free service, reliabillity, and accuracy.

This isn't speculation, it isn't (Ford vs Chevy).
                              It just the way it is.

Get another one and get back to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X