Adages & Proverbs Applicable To The Home Shop Machinist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adages & Proverbs Applicable To The Home Shop Machinist

'If you forget everything else I tell you just remember this: You can always take it off but you can't put it back on."
    - My big brother Angelo

"Keep your cutting tools sharp."
    - The South Bend Lathe Manual

"And if Tubal Cain jumps off a bridge are you going to jump off a bridge too?"
    - My Mother

"Keep thy tools and thy tools will keep thee."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"Don't settle for being just a mechanic. Be as well-rounded in your education as you can. The best machinist I ever knew could quote Shakespeare fluently."
    - Mr. Hood (Shop teacher)

"Bark, Bark, Bark Gerrrrrrrrrrr BARK!!!!"
    - My Australian Shepherd 'Aussie', (Informing me that I've been in the shop too long and that there are more important things in life to do, like going for a walk, and rolling in sh*t for instance.)

EDIT:

Others?
    Last edited by DATo; 09-09-2014, 01:51 AM.

Machinists always use "cutting edge technology". Always have and always will.

If you give a machinist a piece of junk and tell him to chuck it, he might put it in the lathe and not the trash.
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

"Does it work? Does it fit? Good, then quit fretting over it. You ain't building a Moon Rocket!"

Comment

"Don't strain it, Mike - use a bigger hammer."

Jim, a motor-racing friend half a century ago...

Comment

"If a little do a little good, a lot don't necessarily do a lot of good".
          James Trimble (High School Teacher)

I you are having a bad day at work or in the shop, just remember, you could be a Brazilian soccer fan.
          Those people took it hard during the World Cup. Some are scarred for life.

"Nothing a little Bondo can't fix".
          I wonder who said this first?

Cut to size, hammer to fit.
          Cheers,
          Gary

Comment

You can always take it off but you can't put it back on. Then I bought a welder.

If you have time to fix a mistake, then you have time to work carefully so you don't make them.

"NO JOB IS SO IMPORTANT AND NO SERVICE IS SO URGENT-THAT WE CANNOT TAKE TIME TO PERFORM OUR WORK SAFELY." This motto was posted at every work location throughout the bell system. It's still true.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Take all the time you need and it will take less time.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

my old boss used to say "you can't screw up, if you clean up"
                san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Make haste not waste.

Michael

Comment

If its worth doing. Its worth doing three or four times until you get it right.

A tap will always break when you are under pressure to finish the job.

Every piece of metal is a spring.

Comment

The project has not officially begun until you've bled all over it. - Peter Egan

Tighten it up as tight as you can get it, then go another half a turn. - Gus Richard, shop teacher.
                      Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

I try to learn something new every day. Sometimes it is that what I learned the day before is wrong.
                        Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by gcude View Post

Cut to size, hammer to fit.
                          I thought it was "Bash it to fit, paint it to match"
                          Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

"Sit down and put a load on your mind"
                            My jr. highschool metalworking teacher to students that were not taking things as seriously as one should (they were f-ing around...)

Not exactly a 'home shop adage' but it was in a shop, and I did learn a few of my home-shop-skills there, so it has to count, a bit, right? maybe?

frank

Comment

Anything is easy if someone else has to do it. - Me to Boss

We're having more fun than a barrel of managers! - Me to Boss

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer! - Heard in every shop I've ever worked at.

Hand me one of those C clamps - I need to measure this. - Anonymous

Measure it with a mike, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe. - How to do precision work

Hurry every chance you get. - Boss
                              Last edited by Toolguy; 09-09-2014, 11:43 AM.
                              Kansas City area

Comment

Working...
                              X