Tractor Paints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor Paints

I am restoring an old lathe. Just got it all taken apart and stripped down to the bare metal.

I'm trying to document this project on my web site as I go along. I'll send a link to anyone that might be interested.

It's getting close to time to select the paints.

I was in Tractor Supply the other day and I saw they have "tractor paints" that match original tractor mfgs colors. My suspicion is that they are pretty cheap paints.

I was just curious if anyone knows if these paints are any good or has used them? I did not notice the brand name, I think they were labeled under the Tractor Supply name.

Thanks
    Tom

I've seen specific colors like that elsewhere too. I'm thinking Ace Hardware has a line of paint to match OEM colors for various vehicles/eqpt.

Comment

Rustoleum has a line of paints in tractor colors. They are made for restoration so I would think they're good quality.

Comment

They may be made by Rustoleum. See http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...ct_id=36&SBL=1
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Yeppers..it is cheap paint. I would buy some automotive type paint and use it with hardener. Makes for a better finish.

You can use Dupont's "Nason" line or PPG's "Omni" line of paints. They are cheaper than their top of the line finishes but work perfectly.

Comment

I agree with Jerry . After restoring several old cars and working for GM for a while you get to know the difference between paint that can take a chip being scraped across the surface once in a while and paint that can be removed with a freshly sharpened finger nail. The best paints I found are the catilized poly urathanes. Or good regular automotive urathanes. Forget the tractor stuff. It's just for painting of the farmers plows.

Comment

Don't use anything made by Sherwin Williams we have had lots of bad experience with so called "high quality industrial" paints made by them and with their lower quality also. Benjamin Moore makes very good quality oil based enamel paints. Automotive paints are good stuff also. Tractor Supply paint is for just putting something colored on wrought iron in my opinion. I wouldn't use it on a machine tool you are going to keep.

Comment

Howdy..

I used Rustoleum on my mill, Also, go and get a small can of Clear furniture - velspar and shoot that on there too. I added a little "japan" dry to the clear and it was solid and rock hard in about a hour. Make sure it has the same base since they make several kinds.. $22 for gallon black, $10 for clear.. Metalflake paid for by customer.

I put the metalflake in the clear-coat to tease someone.. it looks pretty cool..

They gave me a quote to paint it professionally that I laughed at. I could have used auto-motive paint on it. Even the Kameleon color shifting paint cheaper.

Put lots of vaseling on the ways unless you dissasemble it totally.. After spray painting you can wipe the paint on the vaseline right off.

David

Comment

Thanks to all for your advise. I find it all helpful.

I'm pretty much decided on the PPG Omni paints suggested by Jerry B and others. I've found several distributors in my area.

But.. I have no experience with automotive type paints. Jerry B suggested a hardener, sounds good but what exactly do I ask for?

I'd like a filling type primer and a regular primer too.

Comment

Just ask for the hardener recommended by PPG. The guys at the auto paint store will be more than happy to sell you all of the nece$$ary chemical$.

Comment

Howdy..

I used Omni basecoat clearcoat on a antique truck. About two years old now and it is yellowing out. I saw it at a local car show.
                      I'll not use it on a hotrod again. I spent about 3 months of prep work of using FlexAll on my shoulder each night.
                      Some paints don't have sun shield in the paint. House of color does.(real expensive in comparison to Omni tho)
                      I know you are painting a "machine" but.. if you ever paint anything that goes outside in the sun use a premium paint. The prep time is where you spend the real money. I used several bottles of FlexAll...

I'm sure if you use proper prep, proper bonding primer It'll turn out fantastic.

Get some of the free mixing cups to get the mix perfect, get a good 3M respriator for saftey.

POST a picture when you are done please.

David

Comment

I found an interesting link.

http://www.towerpaint.com/index2.html

Tower Paint says they will package auto paints and primers from Dupont and PPG in aerosol spray cans.

Price seams reasonable. Anyone have any thoughts about using these vs. spraying the PPG paints and primers with HVLP gun.

In either case it would still be an unskilled painter (me) doing the spraying.

I'm not sure if my skill level as a painter would merit buying a gallon of the good paint and then using the HVLP system and spray booth at work if I could get really good paint in aerosol spray cans.

Any comments appreciated.

Comment

OK I've decided to use the automotive paint in aerosol cans from Tower Paint. Decided on a standard Chrysler color a Light Cypress Green.

I found the mfgs color codes for the base colors and clear coat at autocolorlibrary.com.

Question.. Do I need to use the clearcoat over the basecoat to get the hardness and durability that I want or is the clearcoat for the extra shine?

After preping the metal I've already primered the metal with grey Krylon just to keep from rusting before I decided what to do.

Should I sand the Krylon and then use the matching primer for the PPG paints? Or can I just use the PPG primer over the Krylon primer?

Thanks for any help guys!
                          Tom

Comment

Yes, I have to agree that Omni has a tendancey to yellow out. In fact if you were to look at the clear in the can before it is sprayed, it is already kinda yellow.

Dupont and Nason on the other hand are crystal clear.

Although I have done basecoat/clear coat paint jobs, I don't like them very much. If you wait until the 24 hours to spray the clear like the instructions say you can, you will get pleeling of the clear in about 3-4 years.

I spray the basecoat and IMMEDIATELY spray the clear. I am assured of proper chemical bonding between the two different layers as both will be wet or nearly so.

As far as a "regular " primer and a filling primer, use just the filling primer, sand smooth, and paint. You won't need a sealer or anything else. If you want, you can spray a thinned coat of the urethane and then immediately spray the color coat.

Comment

Tomzhere,

The base coat in a spray can would be no problem. Dupont's Chromabase can have the Base Maker added, sprayed and any left over can be put back in the can and not hurt anything. The Base Maker doesn't react until in contact with the atmosphere, since Chromabase is an air drying rather than activated paint.

The clear on the other hand is a different horse. Clears are activated and chemically hardened paint. Mix it up and then let it set for a day and see what you get. A big cracked, milky clear glob of goo.

I don't see how they can put clear paint in a spray can and activate it so you can spray it. My guess is that the clear is a laquer clear, like Dupont 240 Cutting and Jamming Clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X