Linear ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linear ways

I was just wondering if these linear ways had any use in a machine shop that I don't know about.Ignore the servo motors...

http://img58.photobucket.com/albums/...234/servos.jpg

Thanks, David from Jax
    A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Nope. Useless.
    Better box 'em up and send them to me so you don't take up valuable shop space.

I was looking for some a while back for a shop built line-boring setup. When I found out the set I wanted would run about $1200, I made my own. I used open linears on drill rod.

But... I could always find something to use yours in.

Comment

I just looked over another piece of that junk I hauled in, and it seems it also has 2 more of the rails on it, with at least 20 of the bearings. All of the rails I have vary in length, but are around 3'long. 5/8 wide, with 1.375 by 1.5 bearing blocks having 2 holes for mounting bolts. The actual bearings look like small b-b's in a row. Should have taken a picture of them while I had the camera.
      David from jax

Comment

Geez David,why don't you just wave them infront of us and go NANANANANA,I GOT SOME THING YOU DON'T!

Well I can't say anything though,I got quite a few of them myself.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Naah,
          I really was trying to figure out what they are good for. I got them as part of that deal with the drives and servo motors (remember the $150 each doorstops?)
          http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...ML/005242.html
          so I took all I could get in case some of it could be used.
          I thought about using one down each side of that contraption I keep trying to figure out how to make work to stabilize the existing ones but it gets too complicated trying to line everything up.
          I removed the two that had the 20 bearings on them last night. They are a different size,(larger) so I can't use them with the others. They are quite a bit longer though.
          I didn't take pictures of them, so I can't wave them under your nose. Guess I will just go out and tear that last one down and see what is on it.
          David from jax

[This message has been edited by sandman2234 (edited 05-12-2004).]

Comment

Weird,
            I will try and control my picture posting in the future.
            David from jax

Comment

Ah!What you need is a set of cnc router plans!I don't have any,but for a guy who already has most of the expensive parts in hand its the perfect thing,if nothing else tell your wife you will quit bugging her if she buys you a set

Comment

Hey, you could always make $300 drawer slides out of them. Bet those drawers would glide mighty nice.

Comment

Funny you should mention drawer slides. The two with the 20 bearings on them had s/s drawers on them, that slid out on roller bearings.They were all stacked in a neat pile at the bottom of a big screw. As the screw turned, all of them would start moving, but where the top one was at, the screw changed pitch, causing it to move away from the rest of them. Each would do this as it reached that point. Then when they got near the top, the pitch changed back and they would all bunch up together again. Kind of neat.
                  David from jax

[This message has been edited by sandman2234 (edited 05-13-2004).]

Comment

Weird,
                    They don't make plans for the junk I get into!!(LOL)
                    Biggest problem is figuring out how to put this stuff together and get it into motion. I probably have most of the stuff, but no clue how to connect it together. This is my first time around any kind of motion controling anything that didn't have a steering wheel on it, and I am lost. I am also no electrician/electronic type.That is one reason I try to get as much of an item as I can. I went to a lot of trouble to pull some of the wiring out of that machine when I pulled those servo motors.
                    Speaking of having the junk to make a router with...
                    I probably just agreed to purchase the 3rd servo controller and motor that matches the 2 I already have. The 3rd motor apparently has a gear reduction attached to it and the guy is holding out for a little extra for that one. Another $150 doorstop if I can't find someone to do some wiring!!
                    David from jax

Comment

Man I wish we were niegbhors,thats just the kinda thing I like to get into more of a challenge than machine work keeps me from getting bored silly.

Comment

I might be able to come up with enough stuff to build two CNC routers. How about I box it up, send it to you and you have it ready for me when i come back thru 'Ole Miss in July?
                        Can't find anyone local that is willing to wire the motors up and get them running with any kind of milling program. I have the third servo motor and drive on it's way. It is one that matches the other two I bought.(Except it has a 16:1 gearbox)No sense going thru the rest of the trouble if I can't get that part done.
                        Maybe I ought to sell all of it, and put the money towards a Maho Mill. Probably make the wife happier.
                        David from jax

Comment

Okay,but you may have trouble getting it back since three quarters of the way throu I would have it blown out to 10x30 feet

I wish I had the time,seriously,that is one of my goals is a cnc driven plasma cutter with industrial capacity,but I still don't have a roof.I got a huge pile of goodies to put on ebay in the next few weeks,maybe kill two birds with one stone,cleanup and gen some extra cash for concrete.

Comment

What size roof are you shooting for? (I have my reasons for asking that simple question)
                            What name on ebay, in case I want to take a look at your junk?
                            10x30 sounds ok to me, or maybe even 10x53, so I can still get it on a trailer without too serious of oversize permits. Anything over 14' wide also gives problems in the permit area.
                            I can just see it now, a 10' by 53' CNC router. Engrave your own tractor trailers signs in one piece!! I wonder if ballscrews are going to be very expensive? Or the building to put it in, since a 30' is all i have.
                            David from jax

Comment

Okay,ebay handle,get ready for this-hyperbolicparabloid Ya I know,its a long one,but after trying 65 other names already taken,I figured there was no way in hell anybody would have that one

By roof size I mean for my home shop,all I got right now is a falling down 30x40 pole barn,I don't think it will make another hurricane.

Comment

Working...
                              X