OT-Outside my door this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-Outside my door this morning

I remember as a kid, old house, every year for a few years a big tortoise would come by, probably to lay eggs near our house. I now live next to a river, and I found it interesting to see this painted turtle. I used to have one as a pet as a kid. I enjoy them more in the wild.
    He was eating bugs along the side of the house. He moves faster then the stereotype would have you believe.

Nice to see that.
    I hade a big snapper migrate past my house once a year, from one pond to the next. It use to drive my beagle nuts, but, he stayed well out of its reach.

Comment

Dumbarses around here see a turtle in the road they run over them,I try to stop and move them along,but sometimes I'm not fast enough on the brake and the next idiot behind me runs him over before I can get out of the car

We have a big Gohper tortise down from the house,he's big and old,about the size of a steel drum in diameter,we counted the rings on his back plates and he was 36 about four years ago,that makes him older than me by 7 years!

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 05-19-2004).]
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

My grandpa's house use to have some gopher tortoises, he relocated them, which your not supposed to do, they are endangered I beleive.
        Stories that I've heard that really annoy me is that Tourists see a Tortoise in Florida and go put him in the water thinking they need to be in the water, drowning em. Some people don't realise theres a difference between a turtle and tortoise.

Comment

My grandad said when he was a boy(he died at 95)they had them big enough for kids to ride on,but sadly people back then used to eat them and since they are realllllly long lived and produce few young there numbers are few.

Ever see one dig?That big ole rascal we got cleans his hole out once or twice a year,he can sling dirt 20 feet,quite a show.

Of topic,but two weeks ago I saw the bigeest cjicken snake I ever did see,it was about 11' long,rascal was laying up on the ledger board of my shed,I wondered who put that big old hose up there,then it moved OOOOkay,never mind

Comment

Years ago, I had a small house in the woods with a chicken coop outside. A six-foot yellow rat snake took up residence nearby, and I'd often seen it coiled in the coop after eating an egg. The chickens didn't seem to mind a bit; they just sat right there. I guess they knew the eggs were going to be eaten, so it didn't matter much who did the eating.

The poor snake really had a problem when it ate one of the chalk eggs, though. I had to "milk" it out after pouring some castor oil in for lubrication. Urrrp!! I carried the snake a half mile down the road, but it was back the next day.

Roger
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

You guys just remember "MY" chicken snake turned out to be a Cotton-Mouth. I thought it was non-poisonious.

If you aren't sure, don't take chances.

At Least I didn't get surprised by a bite, thou he tried. I had introduced him to my wife and small daughter. I was happy I had a chicken snake. Not so happy I had a poison one.

David

Comment

I had the "advantage" of having an older brother who caught all sorts of poisonous and non-poisonous snakes. He even milked the rattlesnakes to collect the venom.

I generally don't bother snakes unless they are in danger, need assistance, or are in the "wrong" place. It's nice not being afraid of them.

Roger
                Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

When I was living in Miramar, Florida I had a 20 to 24" long turtle crawl into my back yard. The kids went nuts. They loved it, with caution.

I took it out to the Everglades and set it free near a canal. I hope he/she made out OK. That was about 20 years ago. He/she may outlive me.

We lived in an interesting neighorbood. Canals on 3 3/4 sides of the area and I "know" there were gators in them......... Too few ducks survided.

We do SHARE this world with many other species.

Paul A.

[This message has been edited by Paul Alciatore (edited 05-20-2004).]
                  Paul A.

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

This past December we went fishing over near Everglades city. On the portion of Rte 75 that goes thru the glades, I was astounded to how many gators I saw. Every 10 to 15 ft there was another huge gator sitting on the mud banks, saw atleast 300 of them, and most of them were pretty darn big. Out in the thousand islands, sometimes you see the Gators near the mangroves, despite what some people say, they do live in saltwater.

Comment

Ya gators,local they are staring to get noticed too,people out of the city move into new sub-divisions built on filled swamp/marsh with canals dug out back,never dawns on them they are not alone untill Fifi comes up missing Here kitty,kitty

Couple asked me the otherday on a wrought iron fence quote for their pool area,seems they found a 12' gator in their pool one night,just happened to have the lights on and saw him before he came up close.

Comment

Yeah, as a kid in north central Arkansas, we had a pet? blacksnake. One night I was reaching over the grain drill to get some 'supplement' for one of the cows when that 'hose' moved in the darkness of very late afternoon. I sorta moved myself. He/she was about two feet longer than the two grain boxes on that 14 foot grain drill.

One day, I couldn't get the dang old 'G' popping Johnny to stop the swinging blades on the 'heavy' 'JD bush hog' and that was the last of him/her. The tractor didn't have a 'live pto' and when in gear the blade spin was locked to the wheels. I stood on the brakes and tried to get the shifter out of gear, but it sure spread that ol' black snake all over the field.

Comment

A couple weeks ago a pretty good sized snapping turtle wandered into my yard. I mentioned that to my neighbors. Later I saw kids out looking for it. I suspect he would be dinner already by now hehehe.

Comment

Cajun,

Years ago, I did a service call to the Local sewage plant. The bar screen was tripped out and shear pin was busted.

I found a snapping turtle as big as a hubcap in the screen. I got him out with a rake, it looked like he would not live since his shell was broken.

Next morning I went back to the sewage plant to get the foreman to sign my paperwork. THEY WERE cooking and EATING THE TURTLE. Now them are some hungry people.

David

Comment

I wonder what Manatee tastes like.
                              You know, I heard somewhere that back in the 60's and 70's they found some Snappers with Civil War bullets lodged in their shells. Those things live an awfully long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X