Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Mangalyaan - Mars Orbit insertion video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZL_Vwy0JqI

Only 21 successes out of 51 attempts and India did it right the first time and for a fraction of the usual cost.

Good for ISRO, they built and launched for ~$75M the Mangalyaan Mars orbiter which, as noted successfully went into orbit earlier today. An impressive accomplishment, it took Russia 10 tries to achieve
    an orbiter to Mars. The US orbiter Maven went into orbit Sunday nite/early Monday morning. The two orbiters will complement each other in their measurements and serendipitously all the Mars orbiters
    will get a good look at a "Mars grazing" comet that popped up last January and will fly by Mars in 4-5 weeks at a distance of 80,000 km. The US orbiter Maven cost 8-10x what ISRO spent on Mangalyaan.
    Another comparison: the movie "Gravity" cost $100M.
    Steve

Comment

I am not surprised as the indians those who can afford it take education normally very seriously and they make good scientists .However there are many of the who are starving with no welfare state etc.Surely the money just like there nuclear bomb they made a few years ago could have been better spent.IMHO of course Alistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

You seem to have the impression that starving people have any value in today's world.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

4 hours to thread hijack - could be a new record.

Comment

Lyndon Johnson launched his War on Poverty at around the same time that the U.S. was about putting real live men on the moon. The poverty rate then was about 17%.

Today the poverty rate is still about 17% and the U.S. no longer has the capability to put men into space, let alone on the moon, but the government is still committing record spending to helping the poor.

I applaud India's efforts, but after reading this book (a very good read, by the way):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_(Andy_Weir)

I questioned why would we ever want to colonize that particular planet.
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Didn't India claim to have Virmana (sp?), or flying space vehicles, in ancient times?

It's OK that India did this (happy for them), but with other countries coming to space, won't there be too much crowding and better chance for collisions? China is about to enter on a mars program, I believe. They want the moon first. For military advantage, I'm thinking.

Weston, I don't believe LBJ had poverty elimination in mind at all. They knew it would not work that way. Only a vote guarantee plan. And to break the countries bank! It worked!
              Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

Both PPakistan, and India despite spending money on nuclear weapons and all this crap to mars, receive record amounts of money many millions every year to help them stave off starvation etc ,from both the UK and I think Europe and America too.Yet they squander it on stupid dreams instead of food and yes Mr nut I do think the poor are very important.I was born in the Gorbals of Glasgow we lived, ate, cooked ,and slept all in one room. I spent all night as a small child aged four or five listening to the rats running a round,I am not ashamed of it ,it's just the way it was back then after the war.But I take little,( actually )no comfort from the kinds of poverty found in India and pakistan. In india they break babies legs and arms so that they can get through life by begging and that's the truth.The pakistanis hate us in the west and would send us all back to the type of stone age mentality with Sharia law, were women can be executed if they are found to even look at another man, and have to live in fear of their husbands who are sometimes four times or more their age these men can marry twelve years old children and lots of them become pregnant far too young and die from complications.They often have quite a few wives and we, when they come here smuggled into the UK get cash benefits for all of them, every week, despite never having paid a day into our welfare system.It is little wonder they all want to come here they know all the dodges taking their friends children as well as their own to register them for child benefits. Don't get me started grrrr LOL Alistair

Comment

... but with other countries coming to space, won't there be too much crowding and better chance for collisions? ...
                  Haha. HA. HAAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA.
                  Oh man, that's a gem! We're going to crowd space are we?
                  OK we're really good at crowding our planet beyond sanity. That is quite a feat there I'll give ya that. I think space will continue to do fine. It's at least one or two times larger than Earth.
                  Good on India. Since the concept of money is kind of abstract and based on "trust", and maybe a little on gambling in a way, It's not surprising that different cultures can accomplish similar things on a drastically different cost.
                  Maybe their management is simply efficient.
                  Last edited by tyrone shewlaces; 09-26-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

A space collision is not only possible, it has happened. http://www.space.com/5542-satellite-...collision.html. The Chinese used a killer satellite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Ch...e_missile_test) to destroy one of their polar orbiting satellites and that created a new debris halo around the planet with gazillions of untrackable large and small bits criss-crossing the orbits of thousands of other satellites.

Low earth orbit is very crowded and the velocities are so high that catastrophic chain reactions are a real possibility. http://www.techngadgets.com/18449/pe...ommunications/

Comment

Like anything else it is much easier to do something again and cheaper when you already know it is possible and how it can be done. Then there is the simple fact that there is so much off the shelf hardware that can be acquired today that simply wasn't available before. That doesn't space ready hardware, it means computers, software, CNC machines, 3D printers etc. So I am not surprised they did it for less. In fact it would be shocking if they spent as much or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
                        Both PPakistan, and India despite spending money on nuclear weapons and all this crap to mars, receive record amounts of money many millions every year to help them stave off starvation etc ,from both the UK and I think Europe and America too.Yet they squander it on stupid dreams become pregnant far too young and die from complications.
                        Alistair,India is in the Satellite launching business and this news is great advertising for them as it demonstrates they have the technical and industrial capability to accomplish something very difficult.That industry employs a lot of people in very good paying jobs.The single best way to bring people out of poverty is by educating them and encourage building industry to employ them in productive work.

Do they have social problems?Sure,but name one country that doesn't.The question we should be asking-is India better off now than 20 years ago?I believe the answer is yes.

The fact that so many come to western countries to live off welfare is not their fault.It is our own since we elect stupid leaders who pass laws to allow it.The troughers are just taking advantage of the opportunity we allowed them.The west needs a moratorium on immigration IMHO.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Maybe their management is simply efficient.

HA HA try telling that to over half of their countries population who regularly go very hungry and will do for the rest of their days.Maybe you consider that to be efficient but perhaps not the indian people themselves who mostly have other very basic dreams and desires.Alistair

Comment

For sale, exclusive franchise, Mars Takeaway Curry House

Comment

You forgot the price $85 million!

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X