Tool Steel ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Steel ID

When I bought my mill at auction I also won the bid on about 800lbs of tools steel and misc Raw Stock. Much of it is identified and even in the original packaging (O-1, A-2, D-2 prec ground flat stock and rounds). However, I have quite a bit of round stock, 1/4 - 1/2 inch diameter, that I am guessing is A-2 but it is perhaps D-2 or ??. Is there anyway I can ID this material? I am not an experienced machinist so I doubt if I could tell by the way it machines. Can I use a spark test? Or can I flame heat treat and see a difference?

Thanks,
    Dave

AS far as I know the only way to be certain is to send a small sample out to a lab for analysis. I seem to recall another thread where it was said this could be done for about $25.00 per sample. The process usually involves a spectral analysis in a gas chromatograph where a small sample is vaporized and they can tell the exact make up of the steel by the colors generated as it vaporizes.

John

------------------
    Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

Comment

I would take a small chunk and heat treat it. If it comes out hard, at least you know it is hardening stock.

Comment

If its A-2 an abrasive cutoff saw will have trouble with it,I tried to cut some A-2 on our cutoff saw at work(1-1/4 round)wheel and cut under the wheel glowed red hot,but only went in an 1/8" and nothing more.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Since you have known samples of A2 and D2 use the spark test. You have nothing to lose by trying. If that doesn't work, then maybe think about sending it out.
          Andrew

Comment

Find a NDT 3 in your area, they maybe able to tell toy and may do testing free, if you get there interest.

Jerry

Comment

Jeff, What's an NDT 3? Non Destructive Testing?

John

------------------

Comment

Howdy..

I purchased a length of D2 tool steel. It takes the teeth right off my bandsaw blades. GEEZE, how do you use this stuff?

I put it on the milling machine, the squeal made my pitt puppy howl.

Should I anneal the whole piece to work it? Should I get the carbide cut-off wheel out? Should I just weld it to something I want to make real rigid? I got it off ebay. It sure is hard. If nothing else, I could make a real sword outa it to replace the "india" claymore hanging on the wall.

David

Comment

Working...
                X