No announcement yet.

Air line moisture options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you say you do not run your plasma much ?
    If you don't want to invest in a radiator or other system due to limited funds, do this
    Put a skirt or collar around your receiver tank and have some ice blocks made to fit it. then just make ice in your freezer ahead of time.
    Drop them in before running and the tank will take most or all the water out.
    Probably the cheapest way to dry air...until you run out of ice

Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

Hi
      One of my jobs was servicing and maintenance of a couple of 90 hp compressors
      The factory the air supply through after coolers was kept to 3 degrees Celsius from a chilled water supply for the factory air conditioning.
      With adequate separator traps water in the compressed air supply was never a problem.
      Yes it is way over the top for a home workshop however the only way to adequately trap the water is to cool as much as possible before the storage tanks and suitable water traps.
      Be aware that the higher the pressure the more it will cost to achieve. No point in running at 100 PSI if you only use a tool that only requires 20 psi. Use the biggest storage tanks as possible.
      Eric

Comment

Would it be ok to stick the radiator over the cooling fan for the compressor?
        Andy

Comment

I have a 5Hp Gardner-Denver compressor, about 20 CFM, piece of hydraulic hose feeding into 2, 10' lengths of 3/4" pipe with fins. This is all sloped to the 30-gallon reservoir, an old riveted side-arm water heater tank. Inlet is near the bottom of the tank, discharge is at the very top, going through a water separator that is 3/4" pipe size. That feeds all the piping in the building.

Although most drops have a drip leg with drain cock, I get little water in them. The key is to cool the air as it exits the compressor, then let the condensate drop out in the tank. If you need even better moisture removal, I'd go with an additional heat exchanger cooled with ice, feeding another moisture trap, especially if your use is "occasional".

Comment

This has been discussed before. I suggest you search the archives.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Here is my moisture trap set up. I heard some one mention radiator in a previous post......... OK I'll call it a radiator. It's actually a condenser coil from a large room air conditioner. There is about 50 ft of line in that core. It gives the air plenty of time to cool and the moisture to condence. Every drop is caught in the trap at the end of the coil. I've never had a drop of moisture in any of my regulators that are mounted around the shop.

JL............

Comment

Working...
              X