Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldor 500 or 522 carbide grinder?

Hello,
    I am in the market for a new grinder to sharpen both HSS and carbide tooling. I know very little about grinding and what wheels to get. I see Baldor has a couple of good carbide grinders. What is the main difference between the two models...522 and 500. I see that the 522 model uses diamond wheels and the 500 model uses the silicon carbide or aluminum oxide wheels. Could I use either model grinder?.....enlighten me on which grinder I should buy.

Thanks in advance........krems

If you have that kind of loot to part with, get a real grinder.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DECKEL-SO-SI...item3f2e0bccda
    Offer half that cuz half is missing.
    heres the other half.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deckel-SO-To...55464922&rt=nc
    ============
    Better still, and oldy but a goody.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorton-265-6...55464922&rt=nc
    Has a good wheel on it, just lay the arm down to the front for free-hand grinding.
    Last edited by Old Hat; 10-01-2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

As I recall, those Deckel SO grinders are for doing single lip engraving cutters and are not capable of doing endmills. Fair amount of discussion on them here if you do a search.

Comment

OP said nothing about endmills. Believe he's referring to lathe tooling, HSS, cemented carbide perhaps, twist drills, etc.

Comment

With a little application, it's amazing what a Deckel or a Gorton can grind.
          You can put perfect custom corner -rads on end-mills.
          You can make perfect customised countersinks, counter-bores, and sprue-cutters.
          You can position the arm virtually anywhere and support your hands
          in grinding turning & boring bits, far more effectively than using a Baldor.

I would reserve the Baldor for sharpening shovels, for Wife's garden.
          Last edited by Old Hat; 10-01-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

PS;
            Still waiting for some-one who can demonstrate what a "Green Wheel" is good for
            other than making pretty volcano shaped piles of green sand under the grinding area.

Comment

It is unclear from the Baldor website whether there is any difference between the two machines other than the wheels they might come with. I think they are probably the same machine, but shipped with different wheels. However, the parts lists for both machines do not mention wheels, so who knows? In any case, you need a diamond wheel for carbide and preferably a CBN wheel for HSS. Both will hold their shape and never require truing or dressing. A green silicon carbide wheel is useless as it will not properly sharpen carbide cutters and an ALOX wheel will require frequent truing and/or dressing.

RWO

Comment

Hi Krems. I would go with the 500 and some CBN and diamond wheels. I scored these over the years fairly inexpensively. JR

Comment

The diamond grinder guarantees run out < .002 inch. From the Baldor catalog.

Catalog Number: 500
                  The Baldor Carbide tool grinder is used for sharpening Carbide tipped or high speed steel machine tools. This grinder accommodates silicone carbide or aluminum oxide cup wheels that are 6 inches in diameter.

Catalog Number: 522
                  Baldor diamond wheel tool grinder is used for sharpening Carbide tipped machine tools. The diamond abrasive wheels used with this Grinder along with the .002 maximum wheel flange run-out ensure precision sharpening of the tools. Precision sharpening helps prolong tool life.

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of these and I own one, along with a cheap clone version. Certainly not ideal if you are trying to sharpen HSS. The aluminum oxide wheel options are limited and wheels are expensive for what they are. If you are constantly sharpening carbide and HSS then you will want two grinders. You'll never be happy swapping wheels out, each time you swap you will need to dress the wheel true again.

My go to grinder is a Baldor 1021W with 10 inch Norton Al-OX wheels. Any carbide gets sharpened on my Baldor 522.

Mike
                  Mike
                  Central Ohio, USA

Comment

I have a genuine OLD Baldor 500. it now has a diamond wheel on one end for carbide, and a CBN on the other for HSS.

Comment

The OP asked a very specific question & finally on post #9 gets his answer. Way to go Ohio Mike!

Comment

In this day and age I'm really curious to know why anyone would even bother sharpening carbide? If you need the characteristics of carbide just buy some decent insert tooling and be done with it...
                        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
                          In this day and age I'm really curious to know why anyone would even bother sharpening carbide? If you need the characteristics of carbide just buy some decent insert tooling and be done with it...
                          I have approximately 200 pounds of cemented carbide cutting tools from 1/4" to 3/4" that I got many years ago very cheaply. They are very handy for grinding to specific shapes and are easily dressed with a diamond wheel.

I also have inserted holders and use them frequently but if you have the cemented ones, there's no reason not to use them.

Comment

Reasons :

- Not all inserts for everything are in the tool drawers... and you might have a drawer full of other older brazed stuff.
                            - sometime you need something different... like a radius for a form tool, o-ring etc, or a tiny grove tool, or.. or..
                            - many inserts can be given a new lease of life with a tiny touch up.
                            - roughing to near finish of carbide tipped scraping tool
                            - carbide tipped masonry drills
                            - and there are others...

Comment

Are these two grinders the same except for the tighter tolerances of the 522 model (.002") runout. It sounds like you can run diamond, CBN, or Al oxide wheels on both grinders. I am liking the idea of having two different set up and ready to go.

Thanks.....krems

Comment

Working...
                              X