Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving mill

Ok Guys,
    Here is a question I know some will have answers to.

I am getting ready to move my mill from one location to another. About 25 miles.
    Have some time but not $ to spend on moving it intact.

It is a bridgeport clone.
    Mehanite castings
    42" table.
    Not varispeed but step pulley with 2HP 2speed 3 phase motor, Also has rotary convertor mounted on the back of the base.
    Also has the one shot luber.
    Is there anything I need to be warned about ?

I have a shop crane, cherry picker, engine hoist, what ever you want to call it.
    Its capacity is not enough for the total machine.

What I want to know is....
    Approx weight of large parts.
    And any do's or dont's.

Can I break it down into sub assembies that will be easier to transport.
    And of course I will not have the crane in both locations at the same time.

Head assbmy ?
    Table assbmy ?
    knee assbmy ?
    Base assbmy ?
    Approx weights ?

On the head, would it be better with the dovetails and leave the head ring on the base or should I consider that a assbmy also.

Tell me as much as possible.

Any other questions ask please.....
    Thanks

John

I moved mine from the garage where it arrived to my basement where it works in about 3 hours and did it without a Star Fleet Transporter.

I used an engine crane to break it down and reassemble it in my basement with new tile floors and no scratches when done!

I think the column weighs about 720 lbs. The 42â€‌ table about 250 lbs. I estimate the knee with saddle was about 500 lbs. My VariSpeed head was about 200 – 250 lbs.

Oh, the turret was probably 200 lbs. I had no issues reassembling the whole thing. It was easy.

I did some of the light work and dismantling and two others did the grunt work. Make sure you remove the gibs on both the table and the knee before removing them.

Work slow and it will be an easy job and you can beat your chest afterward.

Marv

[This message has been edited by debequem (edited 05-20-2004).]

Comment

John,
      See this post from April 2003.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/002513.html

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I see you're down around Phenix City, AL.
        Just for giggles you might want to check with some local auto wrecker operators. Their fee for hauling it for you might be a pleasant surprise. Worked for me (in the HSV, AL area).

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lynnl:
          I see you're down around Phenix City, AL.
          Just for giggles you might want to check with some local auto wrecker operators. Their fee for hauling it for you might be a pleasant surprise. Worked for me (in the HSV, AL area).
          </font>
          Hi Lynnl

I got a quote a few weeks ago for about $ 100.00
          Cant afford the $ need them to wire up the garage.

Mill is in Buddy's shop in Opelika.
          It Needs to be home with me.
          Got it from Columbus,Ga a few years back.
          Moved it complete back then, Don't have that luxury now.

BTW I see you are in the Huntsville area.
          Any good Electronic techincian jobs up there ?

John

Comment

You can break it down into three assemblies.
            Lift off the head, dovetail slide and swivel ring as one unit. Remove the verticle knee gib, remove the bolts holding the knee screw to the base and lift the knee with table attached off of the base. Load 3 units into 2 pickup trucks. Don't forget to load your engine crane also. Drive to new location and reverse the procedure.

------------------
            Paul G.

[This message has been edited by Paul Gauthier (edited 05-20-2004).]
            Paul G.

Comment

John,

Before my mill was moved into my basement I had it delivered to my home garage.

The guy who moved it rented an open trailer that had an electric motor to lower the whole trailer bed flat onto my driveway.

We simply used a prybar and some steel pipes to scoot it off and into the corner of the garage with three people. Never dismantled anything.

Look at renting one of these trailers and getting two buddies. The rental will be about $50. It is easy to do (easier than tearing it down).

Make sure it can be lowered to the ground so you don't need ramps!

Marv

Comment

I did a quick search to see where Smith,Al was at. Since it popped up just east of Tallahassee, I figured you were right around the corner, and was fixing to offer to come help you move it. Then reality set in when I realized there isn't any Alabama just east of Tallahassee (FL).
                I guess I live just east of the wrong Tallahassee to be of much good to you.
                David from jax
                A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

I used a crane service. Kinda scary watching 2400lbs swinging 40' in the air but it was quick and easy and they dropped it right outside the door to my shop.

Comment

That is a cool way to get high, if your into being cool and getting high.
                    Wouldn't it have been cheaper to rent a snowblower?
                    David from Jax

Comment

John, I'm not an 'electronics' person myself, but I'd think the career opportunities for such around here would be rated better than most areas of the country. My employer is a large contract electronics manufacturer, with two or three hundred facilities worldwide, and two large plants here in HSV (tho down from 5 or 6 plants a few years ago, before the mfg'ing downturn in 2000-2001). Lots of DoD and NASA related work and contracting around here, but the trend has been more toward non-govt manufacturing and services over the last 10-15 years. It's gotten to be a pretty diverse economy here.

Comment

I used the crane service ($200) because I had an 11"x24" Standard Modern lathe, the mill and a 450lb Miller tig welder to move from two different locations into the back yard. There was not much in the way of even ground under the snow and it's 85' from the gate to the door. I had them drop the machines on some angle iron rails and slid everything in the door.

Comment

I was poking more fun at that white stuff on the ground(which my wife has NEVER seen)then I was being serious. I figured you must have had a good reason to spend the money (which was a good price by the way) or your wife would have just handed you a shovel.
                          Neat picture.
                          David from Jax

Comment

put a little plastic under that thing and I could of rode it down the hill ..... yep my neck is red but I make a liv'n out of rig'n.

Comment

I want to know how it went, if you did it today...
                              My friend with the wrecker service was very shorthanded when it came time to move mine. Seller stored it for me for a couple of months (I was working alot) but gave me an date that I had to have it gone by. Friend kept hoping he could move it, but I realized it wasn't going to happen. Came home and built a quick rig for the back of my one ton flatbed, kind of like they move septic tanks with. Just about the time I got it built, he came driving up wanting me to hurry so we could go move it.
                              I owe him soooo...so so many favors.
                              David from Jax

Comment

Working...
                              X