South Bend SB 1009 10K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend SB 1009 10K

Hi everyone! New here and to machining. Thinking of purchasing the South Bend 1009 10 K as my first lathe and entrance into the machining world. Does anyone have any experience with this lathe? Would it be a good 1st. lathe choice? My use/intentions would be for my ship building hobby and maybe some light gun smithing projects,not for commercial use,just a home owners tool.

Any input/advice would be appreciated!

Alaska

I meant the 1002 10k, sorry guy's
    Last edited by Alaska; 10-07-2014, 04:20 PM. Reason: model # mistake

I have one and I love it. How much tooling it comes with and how much wear it has are important factors. How much are they asking for it?

Comment

it has a pretty good reputation, especially now they've addressed some problems people had with the very early units. There's a whole thread on the Practical Machinist South Bend forum on them. Other options to consider would be the DROpros Seig SC8 and Precision Matthews 10x27/30 lathes - they vary in price, features and accessories, so it's worth cross shopping them. I seem to remember the SB1009 being a touch pricey, although I haven't looked at it in a long while.

Comment

Theh SB1009 is $32,250 plus freight from Grizzly which puts it out of reach for a lot of home shop types, but it has a lot of features to like. But I don't think it's considered a 10K, is it? The 1002 is and is a lot more affordable.

Comment

Sorry I meant the 1002 10k

Comment

I have a 70 year old 10" South Bend and I really like it. So far it has done everything I have asked it to do. You can't go wrong with a South Bend lathe.
            Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

My South Bend lathe is an old one.....I didn't realize we were talking the new South Bend Lathes. Although I do like my old one!

Comment

The new South Bend lathes, are so in name only and not to be mistaken for the old "GOOD" South Bends.
                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                X