Need an Ubuntu guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an Ubuntu guru

I'm getting package operation failures and dpkg errors when trying to install JustCloud on 14.04. Mucho Googling and searching has not helped. Thanks.
    Jim

Ditch Unity and go for Fedora...
    Have you tried building it from source? Sounds like dependency issues. What are the specific errors bash is spitting out?
    Sorry I dont have much buntu experience...
    Cheers,
    Jon

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

No, don't know anything about building from source. This is the only distro I've ever used. 12.04 worked great for me, and 14.04 looks good except for this problem. Software Center shows JustCloud installed, I just can't put it to work.

Can't attach a screenshot . [The error message is] Package operation failed, the installation or removal of a software package failed.
      Details, the reading of database, preparing to unpack .../jim/Downloads/JustCloud_32.deb..., and unpacking went smoothly. [After the line, setting up justcloud (3.3.0.15) comes] dpkg error processing justcloud (-install)
      subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
      Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1)...

I did install rdiff, and librsync 1 as dependencies, but it hasn't helped. May have to remove all JustCloud software and start over, but not sure that would help.
      Jim

Comment

That sounds like a good start, remove it all and start over, though do it from the terminal as you may get better output.
        For buntu I think you would use the following command from the terminal:
        sudo apt-get install JustCloud
        I dont remember the apt-get syntax very well but I believe if you put a -v (sudo apt-get install -v JustCloud) in the command it will give a more verbose output which may give a better clue as to where it is failing.
        If you run:
        apt-get --help
        you will get a complete list of the commands for it.
        HTH
        Cheers,
        Jon

Comment

sudo apt-get check JuctCloud will check for broken dependencies.
          sudo apt-get -f JuctCloud will try to fix the install.

Good luck. Let us know what to get.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Thanks, I don't think JustCloud is built into 14,04, anyway when I tried apt-get install justcloud earlier it didn't work. I don't recall what error msg. I got, that was before I downloaded the file from JustCloud.

I'll give it another couple of days and see if I get any answers to the questions I've asked other places. Yours is the first response I've had on this.
            Jim

Comment

danlb

Sorry I overlooked your post last night. For sudo apt-get check JustCloud I get only
              Reading package lists...done
              Building dependency tree (no done, no pending, nothing else)
              Reading state information...done

For sudo apt-get -f JustCloud, I get
              Command line option 'f' [from -f] is not known

I have 2 screenshots of a large output from an attempt to use a different method, but I don't think this is the place for that, would need to go off the board.
              Jim

Comment

Just post it, I dont think GB will mind.
                Put your paste of the output inside of code tags to make it easier to read (push the pound (#) button in the posting view for code tags, its beside the quote button).
                EDIT: Oh never mind, I see you said screenshot, try to copy and past the text into code tags instead.
                Cheers,
                Jon

Comment

Hi Jim
                  Try tinypic.com for your screenshot. There's no signup required. Works just fine from my Linux box running Opera 11. They do make you answer a capcha
                  every 4 pictures, probably to keep bots from flooding them with junk.

Comment

I don't see anything about code tags on my screen. At the bottom I have Reply, Reply with Quote, and Multiple Quotes. The important line seems to be as follows, but I don't know how to fix it.

/var/lib/dpkg/info/justcloud.postinst: line 26: 3310 aborted (core dumped) /opt/_--_/mainframe -nd > /dev/null 2>&1

exit status 134 was reported which I think just says that the install was aborted and the core dumped. I have zero knowledge about cores or how to fix them.
                    Jim

Comment

If it's core dumping, there is a bug in one of the programs that the postinstall is running. It looks like a helper program "mainframe" is running, but it will send all output sent to /dev/null. I don't have a "mainframe" program installed on any of my linux boxes, so I can't tell you what it is supposed to be doing. You might be able to run that program by hand to see what the error output is.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

RichR

I put tinypic on this computer, but will have to earn how to use it. That may take a while, got some outside work to do while it's not raining.
                        Jim

Comment

Code tags look just like QUOTE tags except they say CODE and they preserve formatting of text. Pick one of the reply options then click the Go Advanced
                          button.

Comment

Problem solved.

JustCloud tech support got me the correct downloading directions on the 3rd or 4th try. Following the online directions was automatically downloading the 32 bit version, but I needed the 64 bit one. Thanks to all who tried to help.
                            Jim

Comment

Working...
                            X