Unwanted emails from Facebook , Apple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted emails from Facebook , Apple

Does anyone here know how to stop these so called "businesses " from sending any form of electronic communication to business pc's unless requested by the business owner.

These people do not unsubscribe you from their lists when requested , they seem to think that they have a right to continue pushing their unwanted garbage onto everyone .

Many American based businesses have the same attitude of being important and their "product" is desirable what does it take for them to get the message .

I am someone who is totally against any business which engages in pushy , in your face advertising , if I want any product I will search for it , but will also not purchase from the likes of Macdonalds and other because of their "we are important " attitude.

I can live without their overpriced products and constant advertising , I will continue to buy from the smaller local shops .

Michael

Face who?

Comment

The ones who think that they and only they can run the business world.

I would not miss them if they faded away and became vague memories.

There should be legislation with powerful fines and other deterrents, which once a customer requests that all direct advertising or other unsolicited material stops it does cease permanently .

These businesses dont know how to respond to requests to NOT continue to fill peoples phones and computers with their pathetic advertising.

Michael

Comment

I do the same as I do with physical junk mail. Just toss it, unopened.

Lots of email programs can be set to just trash email for selected senders. Then you never see it.

Comment

Are you absolutely sure that these emails are coming from the real Facebook and the real Apple?

Comment

My internet provider has an e-mail address for SPAM. I forward any unsolicited e-mail to that address as an attachment and I usually don't hear from them again.
            Now, my land line phone is with the same provider and I wish I could do something similat with telemarketing calls... I get at least one a day, every day from the same outfit selling Lifeline pendants, Medicare suplements, etc. The problem there is they spoof the #'s so it's very difficult to track them down.
            Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
              Are you absolutely sure that these emails are coming from the real Facebook and the real Apple?
              Yes , and when I add the sender to a blocked senders list , nothing for a couple of months, I am someone who really gets peeved by pushy advertising , the phone telemarketers usually learn some new expletives if they call ..

Michael
              Last edited by mike4; 10-10-2014, 10:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                There should be legislation with powerful fines and other deterrents, which once a customer requests that all direct advertising or other unsolicited material stops it does cease permanently .

Michael

Mike : Do you want help with this or are you just preaching your usual anti American anti big business anti govt stuff? Please...quit the politics, and do some research. There is legislation in the USA and there are penalties. If they don't unsubscribe you then figure out who to complain to rather than getting on your soapbox and preaching to us. I have no idea if YOUR country has legislation or penalties, but that's your problem. You could have just simply stated your issue with your first sentence of the original post and left it at that, but no.... you have to grind on with your typical verbiage.

I don't have any problem with the mainstream (AKA, legitimate public companies like you mention) - I just hit "unsubscribe" and they go away in a short time. As for the rest of the rats who don't care about the rules... my email spam filters junk them.

I'm on the national "don't send me junk mail (paper)" - works great. My mail box is empty most days except for local supermarket flyers. Also my landline is on the "don't call me list". Pretty good except for a few that ignore it, and political calls (they exempted themselves); answering machine nails them.
                Last edited by lakeside53; 10-11-2014, 12:46 AM.

Comment

I get nuisance calls from my own landline number to that same number, usually offering to get me a better rate on my credit card, or improve my credit score.
                  Jim

Comment

I recently needed to replace my answering machine. When I got the new one it had options for the number of rings before answering. Setting it for 5 rings rather than 4 has effectively made the telemarketing messages go away.

Next, I must try to discipline myself to wait 5 rings before picking up when I am home.
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

There ARE laws in the US about that stuff, although I don't think any of them apply to email, just phones. Obviously you need to deal with your own "gummint" to get them there where you are.

However.... the laws in the US are written such that ANYONE who has "an established business relationship" is not subject to any penalties. What an "established business relationship" IS, forms the problem. It may simply mean that you once long ago requested information from them, or something equally thin as a "relationship". So about all it does is cover cold calling.

You appear to have such a "down" on all forms of business, I suspect nothing would satisfy you except state ownership of all of them. But I doubt you'd like that either, if you ever got it.

I thought you folks in "Oz" were all independent and self-reliant types..... mebbe not.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

There is legislation that applies to emails.

USA : http://www.spamlaws.com/spam-laws.html

Australia (snip from same web site).

•Spam Act 2003 (also available in PDF)
                        •DCITA Information Economy: Spam
                        •Internet Industry Association Privacy Code of Practice
                        •Coalition Against Unsolicited Bulk Email, Australia (CAUBE.AU)
                        Last edited by lakeside53; 10-11-2014, 12:39 PM.

Comment

The "laws" in the US won't do him much good since he is in Aus. and US based companies, if that is who he is having trouble with, don't have to obey the do not call rules since they don't apply down under of any where else outside the US. Spam is sent by "bots" not people so there isn't much of an incentive to not send it to you repeatedly. I doubt that the amount of annoyance the we have with the companies that send it keeps them awake at night.

The one and only good thing about having a G-mail account (e-mail is forwarded to my ISP e-mail account) is the it gives you anonymity and a good spam filter. Any spam that gets through them usually gets bagged by my own ISP's spam and windows mail spam filters.
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Unless the email is truly from a reputable company, NEVER click on the "unsubscribe" button. This provides the spammer with confirmation that he has a live email address. A list of those addresses will bring him more money than just selling a list of thousands (millions?) of possible email addresses.
                            I use Microsoft Outlook for my email. Between the regularly updated spam filter and adding email addresses to my individual spam list I've found that my spam flood has been reduced to a trickle.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                              There ARE laws in the US about that stuff, although I don't think any of them apply to email, just phones. Obviously you need to deal with your own "gummint" to get them there where you are.

However.... the laws in the US are written such that ANYONE who has "an established business relationship" is not subject to any penalties. What an "established business relationship" IS, forms the problem. It may simply mean that you once long ago requested information from them, or something equally thin as a "relationship". So about all it does is cover cold calling.

You appear to have such a "down" on all forms of business, I suspect nothing would satisfy you except state ownership of all of them. But I doubt you'd like that either, if you ever got it.

I thought you folks in "Oz" were all independent and self-reliant types..... mebbe not.
                              I dislike the types of business that basically force customers to only use their products, and do not allow the person who buys their product to have total ownership of that product .
                              By that i mean be able to remove or add functions that tailor the product to the end user , examples are remove music from phones and add more storage of data.

Another is the software that"must be upgraded " continually , what if the original does what the purchaser requires and the so called upgrade is no longer capable of working with existing data or peripherals.

All that I want is to be able to control how something works and what ii is used for , to me that is choice.

many have lambasted me for being like this , I dont really care if my phone or my vehicle is not the latest ,as long as they do what is asked of them them I will keep on using them .

Much of the current offerings are not meant to last or ar not capable of performing in a harsh enviroment
                              , like a lot of the plastic panels in vehicles become very brittle after two or three years , most of my vehicles are kept for 5-10 years .

Same goes for machine tools , presently manual stuff does what I require as I do not make high volumes of parts to sell , what i make are replacements or repaired parts for equipment that the OEM no longer supports as the gear is often up to 70 years old ,but is servicable or the owner wants to change a function to suit their application .

I can see that 3D printing and other technologies could be used for some , but its cost prohibitive to print steel parts.

I also as you may have noticed do not subscribe to the high volume equals cheaper product accounting either , yes any business has to make a profit to stay viable , but to make a product for $80 and then retail it for up to $2k to a low volume purchaser but sell it to a large volume purchaser for $200 in 100k lots is just piracy or corrupt practice to me .
                              If I chose to make something then that $80 part or finished product would be sold for $200 to any customer regardless of the quantity purchased as I would be happy with what I was making as I have covered my production costs , replacement of machines and I own my premises so NO rent.

I am waiting for the howls to start as I know that a lot of people dont think that reasonable profits which will ensure continued work is the way to survive , they want the quick buck and who cares if the customer is happy .
                              Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X