OT: Wood deck coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Wood deck coating

About 25 years ago we moved into our post and beam home with a western cedar deck.Over the years I replaced a few boards,power washed and used Olympic deck stain with fair results but needs redoing again with something better put on by a neighbor carpenter(I'm no longer able to do it myself.) Anyone really happy with their method of caring for their wood deck?

The Behr (Home Depot) single-part epoxy deck cover- at work we have used it on our equipment hauler trailer wood floors and it holds up well to all sorts of abuse. I applied it to my house deck this spring and it looks good. I power washed the deck, got up all the loose paint, and rolled on the deck cover (two light coats). Doesn't get slippery when wet either.
    Last edited by CarlByrns; 10-11-2014, 08:50 PM. Reason: added a word. Duh.

Comment

Just as an option. I've got a couple of guys at work that do deck repairs and rebuilds as side work in a very high dollar neighborhood (Lake Oswego if ur a locale) and they use nothing but 1 type of stain called Penofin a USA product too. Have not used it my self dont have a deck, only seen the end results at a couple of there jobs and WOW it looks great and holds up real well so they say.

Mr fixit for the family
      Chris

Comment

For what your doing I agree the Behr epoxy is the best. If it were new I'd use the penofin & have sold a lot of it on pre-stained siding.
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

I had researched this prior to posting.I thought the Behr deck over would be the answer but reviews suggested a lot of peeling problems despite what clients claimed they had done to prepare the surface so I thought I'd get more opinions.

Comment

Like any coating the previous coating must be stable or removed & the wood be dry as any moisture will takethe coating off.I also seal all sides of any wood as if you have a deck that's near the ground it's dark, moist & the wood will absorb this then it will try the exit the top taking any coating with it. A ground cover may help. Good luck! I suggest you tig up a new one from alum diamond plate
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by Sophiedoc View Post
              I had researched this prior to posting.I thought the Behr deck over would be the answer but reviews suggested a lot of peeling problems despite what clients claimed they had done to prepare the surface so I thought I'd get more opinions.
              It hasn't peeled from our trailer decks and they have equipment driven/dragged/dropped on them all the time. Worn off, yes. Peeling, no.

The stuff is good, but it can't save existing rot and the surface has to be drier than a popcorn fart. On my own deck, I waited 2 weeks after power washing for the first coat (with the second week rain-free) and another 3 weeks for the second coat (rain, rain, rain) and then another two weeks before using the deck. It's not a quick process and trying to cheat will probably come back to haunt you.

Comment

Most deck "stains" appear to be no more than pigment mixed with a little polymerizing resin such as linseed or tung oil. In other words, very thin paint, and they do not suffer the elements well. Epoxy I would never use on a deck. When it is used on boats (as I have done) the recommendation is to shield it with paint or special (and expensive) UV-protected spar varnish. Epoxy will eventually fail to prevent the normal shrinkage and swelling of wood caused by moisture changes. With time the wood will develop small cracks. When that happens, the remaining epoxy that has not already been destroyed by UV light will begin to flake and you will have a holy mess. We have been extremely happy with One Time (Google it). It is supposed to last 7 years between coats, and it does still look pretty good after 7 years, though a 5-year cycle might be more desirable.

Comment

That "One Time" looks interesting. I've been using a product called TWP (Total Wood Protection) on my log house for about 10 years now. Not a bad product, at least better than most I've tried. The finish is translucent, so it allows the natural wood look to show thru. I reapply finish about every 4 years.
                  Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

Originally posted by Moxiedad2001 View Post
                    Epoxy I would never use on a deck. When it is used on boats (as I have done) the recommendation is to shield it with paint or special (and expensive) UV-protected spar varnish. Epoxy will eventually fail to prevent the normal shrinkage and swelling of wood caused by moisture changes. With time the wood will develop small cracks. When that happens, the remaining epoxy that has not already been destroyed by UV light will begin to flake and you will have a holy mess.
                    Two-part 'marine' epoxy (like System 3 or WEST System) isn't the same thing as single-part epoxy coating. Marine epoxy will degrade in UV, but there UV inhibitors that can be added to the epoxy. Some would argue that at $150 a gallon, the UV inhibitors should already be in the resin.

Comment

I live in Fernandina Beach, Florida; it may sound familiar since it is mentioned in the first ads for the Rustoleum product called "Restore". The company used the walkway to the beach to exhibit their product a couple of years ago in TV ads and they still run the same ad. I have to say that it looked very nice right after it was done. But now, being out in the north Florida sun and being walked upon by many folks on their way to the beach, it looks terrible. I would not brag about it at all and it has peeled in multiple spots and has not held up as their advertising would have you believe. Even on the bannisters, the coating has not stood the test of a couple of years. Since Rustoleum knew that they were going to use Fernandina Beach, FL as their marketing location, I would expect that surface preparation was carried out with utmost caution; but I did not witness the application so I do not know who applied it (contractor or Rustoleum themselves or city employees) or what surface prep they used. I was going to put it on my decks, but after seeing the performance here, I passed.

The fine folks at Home Depot and the Behr representative have tried to convince me that the "Deck-Over" product is better than the ReStore, I am still not convinced. I did use a Behr Premium Deck product on my rental deck, but it has been down only about 6 months so no real durability information.

At my old house in Michigan, I used Penofin on one deck and a different product that gave outstanding performance in that harsh, but no sun, environment on another deck/patio. I will see if I can remember the name of the great product and post when I have the recall.

Richard

Comment

Entropy always happens, no matter how you arrange the molecules.
                        Some arrangements are more favorable than others, but none have
                        been found to balance the equation.

--Doozer
                        DZER

Comment

Thanks all for you ideas.If you think of the product you used please post it since our deck is shaded by the house in the PM and partially in AM by Foliage and gets relatively mild physical abuse.

Comment

I will add that I am very well pleased with One Time also. Nine years on my wood deck equipment trailer and still beads water and looks good. Most of those years it sat outside. Three years on deck and porch and looks like the day it was applied. They suggested I use one with pigment in it instead of the clear. The pigment gives it more durability. I used the red cedar one. Follow directions and I think you will be pleased.

Comment

I have a 200 foot long wood dock behind my house in Florida. After 10 years of sun and rain the treated wood was cracking and deteriorating badly. We applied a product called WoodRX and it has lasted for 6 years and done a great job of protecting the wood.
                              It was so good that I had my log home, my wood bunk house and my log blacksmith shop in Minnesota painted with it.
                              It comes in several colors, is water based and can be applied over dry or damp wood. Damp is best.
                              I can highly recommend it and have no interest in it.
                              Bill
                              I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Working...
                              X