Fresh from the auction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh from the auction.

Pail of crap which I bought for $25 only because I saw one ratcheting snap ring pliers. Turns out there is two and they are blue point, one for internal and one for external. The pullers are all snap on to boot!

Kennedy box I won for $45 which I went higher for to get the carbide and reamers inside.

And then this gem which ironically I got for what was marked on the top of it from the yard sale the auctionee(?) must have got it from. Also something odd about this one, I remember someone else either here or on weldingweb getting this exact same oven from an auction for pretty much the same price. Anyone remember that thread or have the link I would appreciate it.

Andy

Unfortuneatly the back wall tile is cracked. Not sure how much it effects the performance. I did plug it in (has a new cord) to see what happens.

Within about 5 minutes it was up to 500 degrees already.

That there is the DANGER zone.
    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
      Unfortuneatly the back wall tile is cracked. Not sure how much it effects the performance. I did plug it in (has a new cord) to see what happens.

Within about 5 minutes it was up to 500 degrees already.

That there is the DANGER zone.
      that oven is AWESOME...the danger dial is elite...I wonder if there is a single 21st century tool with a dial that lets you select DANGER for 1/3rd the rotation lol
      Hobbyist: someone who makes something sound harder than it is.
      Professional: someone who cant afford to be a hobbyist.

Comment

Originally posted by doctordoctor View Post
        that oven is AWESOME...the danger dial is elite...I wonder if there is a single 21st century tool with a dial that lets you select DANGER for 1/3rd the rotation lol
        Starship Enterprise ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by doctordoctor View Post
          That would be "cloud computing". (I was impressed that they allowed that much discretion also.)

Oh, and I'll bet JB Weld will fix that crack right up.

Comment

Danger Will Robinson Danger! From Lost in Spce
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Oh yes, I forgot, there is a date written on the rear electronic board. It looks like a much fresher mark than dated but it says 12-11-50
              Andy

Comment

I bought a batch of dental ovens that went to 2000 deg far & they don't say danger, no wonder my cheese sandwich was burned black as coal.
                "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                country, in easy stages."
                ~ James Madison

Comment

I would not use JB Weld, as Mike N suggests, it wouldn't last very long. Use a refractory cement, probably available at some place that sells firebrick.

Sarge

Comment

"Flying into the Danger Zone" from Top Gun immediately popped into my head

Looks like you got some good deals there, congrats! I went to a charity shop with the family yesterday, got all excited about what must have been an old fella's garage contents in the back. Spent an hour picking out a few drills, some hole saws, taps and hack saw blades and the lady said, $1.50 per piece or I'll do the whole lot for $12. I was so pissed off I just went and put it all back. Presumably it'll still be there in several years time..

Comment

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
                      I would not use JB Weld, as Mike N suggests, it wouldn't last very long. Use a refractory cement, probably available at some place that sells firebrick.

Sarge

Thanks, I'll check into that.

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                      "Flying into the Danger Zone" from Top Gun immediately popped into my head
                      Me too when I saw it. haha
                      Andy

Comment

Since nobody's beaten me to it....YOU SUCK! Some good buys there. I gave the clone of that tool box to my son to use in gunsmithing school...my great uncle used it when he worked at the Philadelphia Navy Shipyard as a machinist in the '20's.
                        David Kaiser
                        “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                        ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

There's no point in just trying to stuff refractory cement on the crack. Better to dismantle and repair, but that might disturb other bricks and the element. If you did dismantle, it would be much better to cut a new brick from a larger commercial offering. That stuff cuts like butter. Use an old hacksaw blade or you'll be through it too fast. I'd probably leave well alone for a while. So long as the top and the rear surface don't get much hotter than the sides, there's not much hot air leaking through the crack.

Now the big question to my mind is whether the knob reads Fahrenheit or Centigrade. If the latter, you've got your self a powerful little oven - up to melting copper, brass and gold, more than good enough for any enamelling and heat treatment. I suspect it's the latter, as an 800 degree centigrade oven is no big deal and would be bigger. A small oven like that, with thick walls, well it just says very high temperature to me.

If you tig weld, you might like to arrange an argon feed to the oven, so your heat treatment has less oxygen around to degrade your parts.
                          Richard

Comment

I will watch the temps, I don't think the crack would be much of a problem either. I do tig weld, thanks for the argon tip!

The thermometer on top "red lines" at 2000f and seeing that it was built next door to me (state wise) 65 years ago or so I would lean heavily towards that it is in Fahrenheit.

I don't have anything planned for it, I just remember seeing a thread somewhere with the exact same one and wanted one since. Plus I got it for a bargain!

Besides hardening or annealing tooling what do you do with these? Tiny crucible for melting aluminum or lead and pouring tiny parts?
                            Andy

Comment

I am rather certain the control is in C. Look at the pyrometer on top, it maxes out at 1200c. This is a magic temp for the heating element material, you go past this and things go bad quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X