Added some gib screws to my Atlas 10 topslide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added some gib screws to my Atlas 10 topslide

I noticed that the topslide only had 3 gib screws and that there was a small range of positions where there would be only 1 screw doing all the work.

That didn't seem right to me so I decided to add 2 screws to the mix. First I picked up the centerline of the existing holes and their spacing:

Using a small clamp and hex key to hold the gib in place while drilling a 0.130" diameter dimple:

2 new holes drilled and ready for tapping:

Continued in next post.

Modified some 10-32 x 1" cap screws by turning the tips down to 0.080":

Here it is with the topslide cranked all the way in (still need a jam nut for the leftmost screw):

And the topslide cranked all the way out:

And one last shot:

Comment

Nice work Richr, that has to be better.

Comment

Very nice RichR. Plus I learned something. I'd never thought of holding a screw in a die with a jam nut. Sure beats two or three nuts or even a split nut, I'm thinking. Thanks.

Comment

I shall remember this good work
          Hobbyist: someone who makes something sound harder than it is.
          Professional: someone who cant afford to be a hobbyist.

Comment

How are you holding the screw in the lathe chuck? Is it a die and nut?

Puckdropper

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Paine View Post
              Very nice RichR. Plus I learned something. I'd never thought of holding a screw in a die with a jam nut. Sure beats two or three nuts or even a split nut, I'm thinking. Thanks.

You can also use a 5C collet. Just insert the screw from the back side
              before you install the collet.
              -Doozer
              DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Paine View Post
                I'd never thought of holding a screw in a die with a jam nut. Sure beats two or three nuts or even a split nut, I'm thinking. Thanks.
                Yah! That's a great how-to tip. No more need to make split nuts!
                Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Thanks guys. I had pulled out the die to have handy in case I buggered the threads and then realized I could just hold the screw in the die.

You can also use a 5C collet. Just insert the screw from the back side
                  before you install the collet.
                  I suppose I could have done that, if I had collets for my lathe. I had considered drilling and slitting a piece of aluminum into sort of a poor mans collet, but
                  the die was quicker and easier.

Comment

Working...
                  X