Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thumb whacker yes I have done it again ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thumb whacker yes I have done it again ?

I was turning some nylon on the wood making lathe.Making a colw (actually a fan cover cowl if you will for his electric motor), as his old one was missing in action , for my sons extractor. When I badly bruised my thumb this time it was just a warning LOL .It is badly bruised but not broken and no blood this time which is just as well as I take warfarin..I noticed though it is never my right hand as I am right handed. I always hold the tool in my right hand, however it was in exactly the same place as my previous accident .So I recently bought some pairs of fingerless gloves.Is there any way I could add some nylon or rubber to a small spot on the outside of my left glove so that it would shield me from a bad blow on the thumb again.I am reasonably worried about this but don't see me give up the wood turning lathe. Stuborn old Al lol Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Good timing, I am sitting here reading this with a VERY sore thumb and a blackened thumbnail from smacking it with a hammer while trying to remove a bearing race.

Comment

Clumsy bastard

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
        Clumsy bastard

I think You mean bastards...

Comment

Don't you mean thumbsy bastard .Anyway what about the glove idea any joy with the concept of that feasable or what.I intend to try something of this nature , anyway just thought I could save time making useless good for nothing mistakes. Like I normally do .So is old Al a stupid bastard or what? LOL still I can always work my way up to dumbass basteward if I work at it. Alistair
          Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

No to the gloves. Maybe some kind of shield to keep hands from coming close to moving stuff.
            Getting hurt is Gods way of letting ya know you're still alive. Warfarin makes the internal bleeding (bruises) seem worse, as you can imagine. I cut my finger on a long slender lathe chip while on warfarin or one of it's derivatives and the blood looked and acted more like colored water than blood. Didn't bleed very long, but the watery aspect made up my mind to get off the stuff.
            I don't advise any one to quit a thinner, I was on it due to a liver transplant. Had a blockage from all the loose clots right after the operation. As the incident I described above was about 5 years later, I took my self off. Had two Docs. say I didn't need to be on the stuff, but as they didn't put me on it wouldn't take me off. So I did. Relieved some of the light headed feeling I'd had since coming out of the hospital. Worked for me but I cannot recommend anyone else do the same. I don't even play a doctor on TV or radio!
            Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

I do not understand how gloves (except for steel ones) would protect your hands from blows or crunches. I mean, hit your finger with a hammer and then hit the one next to it with a glove on. Feel any difference? I doubt it. Yes, they can protect from splinters and scratches and perhaps some cuts, but not from blows or crushing actions. And they add a significant danger of catching on the rotation parts and dragging your hand and possibly your arm into the lathe.

Gloves in the machine or wood shop? NO, NO, NO!!!!!
              Long sleeves in the machine or wood shop? NO, NO, NO!!!!!

I have used the thin, flimsy plastic aprons to keep my shirts clean. They will rip apart at the least amount of force so they seem fairly safe.

Want to keep your hands safe. WATCH WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Use fixed shields. Tie your left hand behind your back. But no gloves, please.
              Paul A.

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Cricket gloves? However I think perhaps an engineer is in the best position to make something incorporating a curved metal plate and some rubber padding. It might be possible to glue it to the thumb of a thin pair of gloves and use the thumb off a bigger junk pair to cover it over. I'm assuming a typical engineer is incapable of precision sewing. Obvioulsy big danger of making the appendage more clumsy and inclined to get caught in the rotating machinery.
                However not clear what position the hand was in if effectively woodturning. I use my left hand in an over the top hold so the thumb is behind and underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
                  I was turning some nylon on the wood making lathe.Making a colw (actually a fan cover cowl if you will for his electric motor), as his old one was missing in action , for my sons extractor. When I badly bruised my thumb this time it was just a warning LOL .It is badly bruised but not broken and no blood this time which is just as well as I take warfarin..I noticed though it is never my right hand as I am right handed. I always hold the tool in my right hand, however it was in exactly the same place as my previous accident .So I recently bought some pairs of fingerless gloves.Is there any way I could add some nylon or rubber to a small spot on the outside of my left glove so that it would shield me from a bad blow on the thumb again.I am reasonably worried about this but don't see me give up the wood turning lathe. Stuborn old Al lol Alistair
                  I am right handed and always hold the chisel blade with my left hand which is mostly behind the tool rest. My right hand is on the end of the handle giving me leverage.
                  I can't envision what you are hitting your thumb on. The square corners of a workpiece? You aren't working close to chuck jaws are you?

Comment

Well it don't happen every day and no doubt you will go easy for awhile but remember It is better to do and fail/hurt than not

Comment

How about an eye test?, sounds due to me, please don't mangle any more bits
                      Mark

Comment

Use a 24oz waffle head framing hammer. It improves your aim quickly; if you miss, even a glancing blow, your finger (or whatever) is hamburger.

Comment

Anything you can make strong enough to stop a strong blow will look like midevil armor. Anything less will crimp in on your thumb when you hit it with enough force and then it will REALLY hurt and you'll have to pry the damn thing off with pliers. Get proper tools with hand guards, bigger faced hammers (Those rubber mallets work wonders for a lot of jobs, so do 2lb cross peen hammers), longer lathe tools, etc whatever is needed to get control of the tool. Or just take more care, People have operated wood lathes for decades without hurting themselves, hurting yourself indicates your doing it wrong.
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I once worked for a guy that was always smashing his thumb/s so I made him a pair of "safety gloves" which consisted of 3/4" ID - 1"OD hardened steel bushings that were pushed into the fingers of a pair of rubber gloves, they were received with several expletives! LOL

Comment

Working...
                            X