Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next time I think I'm making good parts I'll watch this again

Ten minutes of envy and inspiration.

The amount of meticulous detail and genius craftsmanship and microscopic precision that goes into one of these Patek Philippe Grandmaster Chime 5175R is ridiculous. Just watching the little pieces fit together is like seeing the most beautiful puzzle ever get completed. It better be, since the watch costs $2.5 million.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/seeing-the...s-p-1645979949

2.5 mil for that watch a guy says?

Amazing stuff though! Sure would suck to miss or forget a part and have to go back in!
    Andy

Comment

And this year they shaved the weight down to only 2.2 lbs !

Those guys are indeed master craftsmen - but what an incredible waste of time, I bet an 8 dollar Casio slaughters it for time keeping capabilities and is about 1/10th the weight, Be very happy your not wealthy enough to afford one of these things because it's things like this that you most likely end up buying... basically stuff you can't use... again I think the craftsmen do amazing work - it's just too bad the end product is a POS... just my two cents...

Comment

Excuse my French... Unf#ckingbelievable! Not only CNC machining, but all that hand fettling. I don't like the ostentacous (?) stuff myself, but i am a big fan of Swiss (or even Seiko) mechanical watches. If you like a decent watch, and are a mechanic/machinist like myself, then you want a mechanical watch. My 12 year old Oris is about $6-700 new now, loses about 5 minutes a week, is 6 years behind with its 3 yearly check - up, plain Jane as can be from the front, turn it over, look thru the crystal saphire back glass and WATCH ALL THOSE GEARS MOVE! Battery watches suck. Thanx for posting, i've filed it and sent it on to fellow gearheads who appreciate mechanics.
        Cheers,
        Mike.
        (Luddite).

Comment

Some of that takes my breath away. I'll have to admit and maybe it was the music , but I almost got alittle misty eyed there.

Comment

I love good working practical mechanical stuff, and I have allot of respect for the pains gone through in the past before electronics and have worked on many an old clock for my Sis who is an antique dealer - it's one thing bringing back to life an old dinosaur like that when it was state of the art the only way to get it done - it's completely different creating a new dinosaur with many times the complexity, I mean hey - that's why I don't own a Mercedes

There is an unwritten clause in having to spend more monies for an effectively worse product for what the product was originally intended for --- but when the cost of that "object" is potentially millions the amount over what the supposedly "lesser" product is then to me it's one of those;

"A _ _ _ _ and his money is soon parted" type sayings...

and im trying to be kind here, yes maybe in a fist fight if you ever do actually connect ( like maybe a sucker punch? ) the extra weight will work in your favor,,, but odds are your going to get your ass handed to you for being so slow and cumbersome,

it could aid in cutting up firewood as the extra momentum might help the maul handle apply more kinetic energies, but so would about .001 cent's worth of sand wrapped around the wrist in one of those wrist band thingies... and without all the expensive "gear shock" and wear and the face of the watch flopping around trying to change directions... again in any kind of a practical sense what a total POS... and if all you can really do with it is keep it in a case "for safe keeping" then why not just draw a picture of it and hang it on a wall? would have saved a ton of trouble and the people building it could have actually put their time to use actually building something that works... just sayin.

Comment

Clearly it's a signature "tour de force" PR/advertising effort for a company that sells traditional craft and can clearly afford to do it. If they do sell the six they claim for 2-1/2 million each, the campaign won't cost them too terribly much and may have value at the bottom line.

Nonetheless amazing stuff, yes?
              Cheers,

Frank Ford
              HomeShopTech

Comment

If I had $2.5m to blow on a watch I wouldn't care what time it is.

Nice tools and craftsmanship though.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

There's an incredible amount of hate here.

No need, guys.

Perhaps I see things a bit differently after spending the last 10 years in the premium segment of the auto industry (Bugatti, McLaren, Rolls, Bentley, etc). I could never afford any of those things but I don't wish death and dismemberment on those that can.

After a while you learn that it's simply a different approach to things. Those guys spend crazy money on stuff in the same way that us working stiffs covet the tool we were finally able to afford.
                  It's just stuff.

I'm thoroughly impressed with the amount of hand fitting used on those microscopic parts. The finished product is so far out of my league I have no interest in it. However, I find the fact that these guys can build the watch to be the truly impressive part.
                  Last edited by feets; 10-14-2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I suspect that the watch is not really for sale. It would be a very cumbersome and troublesome piece. One drop on the floor and it would become just a useless pile of parts. It would make a terrible investment as all things of the same sort loose much of their value after purchase. I also suspect the price to be greatly inflated by the company as is also often the case.

It is an interesting project that uses almost entirely parts already made for their other watches, just put into a case that is also just a demonstration of work being done on their production watches.
                    Gene

Comment

Originally posted by feets View Post
                      ........, I find the fact that these guys can built the watch to be the truly impressive part.
                      This is my feeling as well after watching the video. It's not the watch...it's the process.
                      The micro-machining and the incredible amount of hands on craftsmanship and technique is what makes this an awe inspiring product, not the product itself.
                      Personally, if it was mine, I'd rather show off the video than the watch itself.

Can't imagine showing up at work Monday morning all hung over and spaced out and cobbling out a couple of those before lunch!

Thanks for sharing.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Yeah, great. Errm, I just need to take it off, flip it over and put it back on so I can see the date. Maybe I'll just check on my mobile.

I'm sitting there thinking maybe 10 grand ? I'd rather buy another couple of houses.
                        Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Watches like the Pateks are a wonderful blend of cutting edge microengineering and traditional craftsmanship and finishing techniques. What really sets my heart a-flutter, though, are the truly hand made watches by the likes of George Daniels, Derek Pratt, Roger W. Smith, and even the new blood like our young Messrs. Paul Loatman and Jere Mihalov. It's a craft that produces some amazing art, and I for one am glad there are people wealthy enough (and willing enough) to keep the knowledge and craftsmanship alive.
                          Max
                          http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

It's not the one or six guys blowing a fortune on one of these, it's the hundreds of people who have jobs directly & indirectly related to making these.
                            Skilled not fry cook jobs.
                            This is the real trickle down economics.

Comment

For my 2.5 million I'll have none of that engine turned finish in the wheel wells. They must be hand engraved.
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X