Looking for help in Detroit, MI and Vancouver, BC areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help in Detroit, MI and Vancouver, BC areas

As the “what is it” threads show, there is some pretty hard to identify stuff out there and when we do check out and leave a pile of it in the garage for our survivors to sort out it’s not an easy task for them. Because my name and number is found in old magazines scattered around workshops everywhere, I get calls from time to time looking for help with identifying or selling items.

I just got off the phone with a woman from the Vancouver, BC area, in the process of trying to sell off some of her husband’s hobby items.
    The connection was bad and so are my ears, so I didn't get all the details, but she has a collection of Live Steam magazines from the early 70s up into the 90s, along with a number of other hobby magazines and books. In addition to the magazines and books, she is hoping to sell his steam locomotive and rail car. Couldn't hear what model the loco was.

If anyone in the area is interested or can help point her in the right direction, please PM or email me and I’ll pass your contact information along to her.

Another woman contacted me on Friday, looking for help in selling items her son left behind when he passed. From the fuzzy photos she sent, I determined it was a VAN DORN VIBRO-CENTRIC Valve Seat Grinder, with the original wooden case and it looked to be fairly complete. She is located in the Detroit, MI area and anyone interested can contact me for her email address.
    George
    Traverse City, MI

George, first of all thank you for going that extra mile in order to help someone. It's always amazing how many far reaching tentacles a profession has until one realizes that his contact info is spread all across the nation...for years to come.

Although I can't help directly with the plight of the lady from Vancouver, BC that is try to dispose of her husband's hobby items, I may have a bit of information that may help.

From the Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading site, a list of local clubs and contact information from across the country.

http://www.livesteam.net/clubs?nored...oredirect=true

BRITISH COLUMBIA SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS
    This is the track site that hosted the IBLS 2000 Meet of the Millennium. The track operates every Saturday and Sunday and public holidays from Easter to Canadian Thanksgiving (11th October) on the 7-1/2" gauge 14,000-foot track. Minimum 60-foot radius curves. Visitors are most welcome to run any time. Steam locos require current boiler certificate. Club Workshop day every Tuesday all year. Club meetings are held 1st Wednesday of every month at 7:30 PM in Rainbow Creek Station on the track site, 120 N. Willingdon Ave. at Penzance Drive, Burnaby, BC. Track phone (604) 291-0922. Lindsay McDonnell, 3651 Lynndale Cres, Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A 3S5 phone (604) 420-1778 email: [email protected]
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Thanks Willy. Not involved with that magazine and didn't think to check the website, just assumed it was as useless as the one for my magazines! I'll pass that info along to her.
      George
      Traverse City, MI

Comment

I don't know about those areas, but around here, valve grinding equipment almost can't be given away.

It's one of those things that was at one time ubiquitous when people actually rebuilt engines on a regular basis, but today, there's far, far fewer that do. So the market has a huge supply (for a while there, I had three complete machines) but virtually no demand.

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
          I don't know about those areas, but around here, valve grinding equipment almost can't be given away.

It's one of those things that was at one time ubiquitous when people actually rebuilt engines on a regular basis, but today, there's far, far fewer that do. So the market has a huge supply (for a while there, I had three complete machines) but virtually no demand.

Doc.

I wondered about that, as I saw lots of them on eBay.
          George
          Traverse City, MI

Comment

Working...
          X