Slightly OT: Uses for an old Aluminum Scuba Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly OT: Uses for an old Aluminum Scuba Tank

I received an old aluminum 80 cf scuba tank that is no longer serviceable (1/4" hole drilled in the top). Other than wind chimes, anybody have any ideas for using it to make something for the shop?
    Doug

Air tank, if rated at 3000# it will still hold 150# OK.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

Doubleboost (John) on Youtube recently used an oxygen cylinder to make cart wheels. That seemed a clever application and even aluminum should make good wheels for a light weight application. It can also be melted down for casting aluminum parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDzB...Z1GKUQTrz4-CXw (Part 1 of 3)

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
        Air tank, if rated at 3000# it will still hold 150# OK.
        Not with a hole drill in it.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
          Not with a hole drill in it.
          -Tap it to NPT and screw in a Schrader valve. A bit overkill for portable air, but it's an option.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
            -Tap it to NPT and screw in a Schrader valve. A bit overkill for portable air, but it's an option.

Doc.
            Doubt that the wall thickness woud give you ebough threads in the aluminum to be safe. Portable air tanks are cheap enough to just buy a new one.

It was drilled because it wasn't servicable or safe anymore, like old medical O2 tanks. Be safe, repurpose the material or just scrap it.

Comment

LOUSY wind chime -just a dull "thud".

And... sell it for scrap - about $24 around here. I cut the top off first so they don't ding me for the valve -easier than getting it out unless you have way to hold the tank real well.

If you want to machine or reuse the alloy - it's 6351 - T6
              Last edited by lakeside53; 10-15-2014, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
                Doubt that the wall thickness woud give you ebough threads in the aluminum to be safe. Portable air tanks are cheap enough to just buy a new one.
                They are over 5/8 thick. But yes, heavy bulky portable air tank anyhow so move it along.

Comment

do not fill SCUBA cylinders made from 6351 aluminum alloy before October 1989 to any pressure. the cracks in the neck radius cause the tank to rupture and people die.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                    They are over 5/8 thick. But yes, heavy bulky portable air tank anyhow so move it along.
                    Thanks, had no idea.

Comment

Would make a fuel tank for a small engine.

Comment

I agree, it's heavy and overkill for just a portable air tank, but really, if the wall was thick enough to withstand 3,000 psi, chances are that even being out of spec somehow it's still plenty strong enough to hold 120-150 psi of shop air.

But yeah, barring that, or needing a thick aluminum ring for something, best choice is probably to yank the valve and recycle it.

Doc.
                        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I already have a portable air tank as well as 2 scuba tanks with current hydros. I was looking for something to make.
                          Doug

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
                            do not fill SCUBA cylinders made from 6351 aluminum alloy before October 1989 to any pressure. the cracks in the neck radius cause the tank to rupture and people die.
                            Sure glad I didn't know that when I dived multiple times a week for 15 years up to 1982 And we'd "routinely" overfill them to 4000psi. Ah... The folly's of youth.

But yes, they should all be scrapped!

Comment

Originally posted by GT1 View Post
                              I already have a portable air tank as well as 2 scuba tanks with current hydros. I was looking for something to make.
                              I kept a pair of them for years... never did find anything I wanted to make, so finally scrapped one. Now the other is looking like it should go that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X