Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Software / Program For 3D Viewing / Rotating etc.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Software / Program For 3D Viewing / Rotating etc.

    I'm wondering if any one knows of any image viewing program that has the ability to rotate an image. Explanation of rotate......
    I'm not talking about a circular rotation CW or CCW, left, right upside down like all simple programs allow. I think it would be referred to a 3D rotation, something like an image can be rotated in auto cad.
    Such as.......... I have several pictures I took at a local car show, most all were taken standing at the right front corner of the car, you get a good view of the side and a good view of the front end from that angle. I want to be able to rotate the image so as to show the front end as if the picture was taken standing in front of the car. These are jpeg's and I don't believe that auto cad will load them although I haven't tried yet.

    JL.....................

  • #2
    I dont see how you could take a 2D image and make it 3D without creating your own content, what you see in your pictures is what you get.
    Hold the printed picture in your hand and rotate it, see what I mean?
    Cheers,
    Jon

    Comment


    • #3
      While Jon has a valid point, you can "stretch" parts of a picture. It's used all the time in 3D graphics, something I wrote lots of low-level software for.

      But, if you want to stretch an image, you can use some image manipulation programs; I used "gimp" last time I wanted to do this - here's one I did:

      http://cnc-for-model-engineers.blogs...es-part-1.html

      Not perfect, but the recipient was happy!

      Comment


      • #4
        Solidworks has a free 3d viewer at Solidworks.com---However, the object to be viewed must have been created in 3D. there is no program that can "rotate" a 2D image in the manner which you are asking for..
        Brian Rupnow

        Comment


        • #5
          https://www.photosynth.net/ will do what you want, but you have to take all of the images first

          Comment


          • #6
            Photogrammetry may be what the OP is looking for. IME, it requires a series of photos from different angles to create a 3D model of the object.

            It seems like there was a free piece of software to do this floating around a few years ago. My recollection is it wasn't all that great. You had to buy the pro version for reasonably accurate work.

            Comment


            • #7
              123d Catch. We used it for prototype work at a company I previously worked for. You basically take pics of your object and upload the pics to their servers. They send you the 3d image.

              Free if I remember correctly. Really amazing stuff

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JohnAlex141r View Post
                While Jon has a valid point, you can "stretch" parts of a picture. It's used all the time in 3D graphics, something I wrote lots of low-level software for.

                But, if you want to stretch an image, you can use some image manipulation programs; I used "gimp" last time I wanted to do this - here's one I did:

                http://cnc-for-model-engineers.blogs...es-part-1.html

                Not perfect, but the recipient was happy!
                Yea, that's what I'm looking for. Just a slight rotation of the image.

                JL..............

                Comment


                • #9
                  You are looking to change the angle on the Z axis. If only a slight change is done you can achieve an acceptable result by changing the perspective. My video editing program allows me to do that with either video or still pictures. Any good photo editing software will allow you to change the perspective. You can't edit anything that isn't there of course but a slight rotation is often done in video and graphic post processing. You have to watch out for the aspect ration distortion but a very slight change can work in some cases.

                  http://youtu.be/s4nmfVMJfvo
                  Last edited by Black Forest; 10-16-2014, 03:02 AM.
                  How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There is a photographic process called VR (Virtual Reality) that lets you merge multiple photographs into a multi-axis view of the object you have photographed. It stitches images together to provide a view of the object from any angle, provided you have photographed that object from that angle. No process can show you anything you have not photographed, of course. Morphing is a process of merging a photo series into a video-like rendition. It attempts to fill in detail from adjacent in time photos to approximate what happened in the time gap between those photos. Here is a famous photo series taken of Mt. St Helens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhU6jml6NY4

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR_photography

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                      You are looking to change the angle on the Z axis. If only a slight change is done you can achieve an acceptable result by changing the perspective. My video editing program allows me to do that with either video or still pictures. Any good photo editing software will allow you to change the perspective. You can't edit anything that isn't there of course but a slight rotation is often done in video and graphic post processing. You have to watch out for the aspect ration distortion but a very slight change can work in some cases.

                      http://youtu.be/s4nmfVMJfvo
                      that looks like it might work. What is the name of the program and where can it be found???

                      JL.............

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by elf View Post
                        https://www.photosynth.net/ will do what you want, but you have to take all of the images first
                        As far as all these programs that will rotate the image providing it was taken in 3d is not an option since I only have 2d pictures.

                        JL..............

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          that looks like it might work. What is the name of the program and where can it be found???

                          JL.............
                          The program is a Grass Valley program named Edius and is a professional video editing program. Look for a program that will let you alter the perspective.
                          Last edited by Black Forest; 10-16-2014, 01:34 PM.
                          How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Joe, As mentioned by JohnAlex141r you could use gimp too, and its free.
                            http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
                            It is available for windows and mac if your not an enlightened linux user too...
                            Cheers,
                            Jon

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks for the link. I've down loaded the program and am able to open jpeg's but now............. how do I go about rotating the image???
                              I could probably figure it out in a week or two!!!

                              JL.................

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X