How did I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did I do?

I was bidding on some scrappers for fixing my lathe and I noticed the guy also had a bunch of mic's for sale too, he said he would combine the shipping so I bid on them too... Well the price of the scrappers whent through the roof and I was the only bidder on the mic's so I got them for $49.00CAD including delivery.
    The 6" one has no name on it and it looks like a POS. The 5" one is a Starret and looks very nice, the 2 green ones under it have no name on them and look like OK quality and the bottom one is a Brown & Sharp and looks like very good quality.
    So how did I do, was this a reasonable deal?
    Cheers,
    Jon
    Sorry for the terrible pic...

From what I can see you bought a bunch of very expensive C-clamps ----------------- just kidding, looks like a good deal but I don't think u suck - well maybe a little as if that larger starrett is worth a fair amount in good shape for sure.

Comment

Yeh, I kinda regretted bidding on them once the scrapper price went through the roof but it was too late to back out...
      Oh well, now I can learn how to use a mic at least..
      Cheers,
      Jon

Comment

The B&S and Starret would set you back a few hundred new so if they are in good shape, you did OK. The two no-name one are probably Chinese and may or may not be much good. The big one at the top looks old and may be OK. If not you have a nice wall hanger conversation piece.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

The two green ones look like my Polish 5-6" mike. It's OK, not great. The lock lever is plastic and split on mine. Also, they use the 0 Vernier line for the 10ths reading as the 0 line for the thimble, which I don't like, but it works and cals OK.

Comment

The B&S and Starret would set you back a few hundred new so if they are in good shape, you did OK.
            Thats good hear.
            The lock lever is plastic and split on mine.
            These ones appear to be steel or cast, they are magnetic.
            I still have to look into how to use one so I am not sure about the tenths reading point at this point...
            The Starret one has a ratcheting mechanism on the knob on the end of the micrometer but it does not appear to do anything?
            Cheers,
            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post
              The Starret one has a ratcheting mechanism on the knob on the end of the micrometer but it does not appear to do anything?
              Cheers,
              Jon
              That's OK, the micrometer ratcheting thimble was designed for
              those who struggle with the difference between a Mic and a C~clamp.

And I'm not joking.

It's nice having the legend on the B&S 1-2 mic too.
              Last edited by Old Hat; 10-25-2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Jon, i believe the two green ones are Checkslovakian, (Spelling), seen quite a few of them around over the years. I have one a 0-1 inch that i picked up somewere in some stuff, and its not bad at all.

Comment

The green ones have no name or it's worn off? They may be Fowler. Just my opinion, mics especially larger ones without a case are invitation for trouble.

Comment

Where you bidding on scrap lathes to fix your lathe, or maybe scrapers to scrape it with ? That extra p gives it a different meaning. Good score on the mics.
                    James

Comment

Did they come with standards? :-)
                      ...lew...

Comment

I don't suppose it matters who made them providing you can calibrate them against slips, I've seen some Russian kit better than European, I don't know what Chinese ones are like, but I'm certain they will figure it out!
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                          I don't know what Chinese ones are like, but I'm certain they will figure it out!
                          Mark
                          From what I've seen China has not consistently improved their quality over time
                          as Japan, Taiwan, and now Corea has / have done.

Some Chinese firms have, but some keep making the same just barely works crap.

Comment

Rosco, no name that I can see, there is a black plastic triangle on the side of them, it just has the size and tolerances in it. .0001" and 2-3"
                            J.Randall, I ride the short bus! I was bidding on scrapers to scrape with.
                            Unfortunately they didn't come with any standards but I know where I can take them to check them against some.
                            Any ideas on the purpose of the ratcheting mechanism?
                            Cheers,
                            Jon

Comment

The green ones are like one I bought from MSC many years ago. From Poland, maybe? It had a crunchy feeling to the screw so I unscrewed it all the way out and brass shavings came out from tapping the barrel. I sent it back.

Good deal? Hard to say. You need to find standards to verify the mics are reading correctly, plus the little spanner wrenches to set them to the standard. But, don't invest in new standards, the cost will negate the deal you may have gotten.

Comment

Working...
                              X