O.T. any inventive type out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. any inventive type out there?

Somebody --- I face this almost daily, why do not standard TV's have a find button on them to locate the remote ? just like what's on your home cordless phone?

Genius.
    Jon

Comment

Did you see the Tile?
      https://www.thetileapp.com/
      Cheers,
      Jon

Comment

A cordless phone needs to have 2-way communication in order to work as a phone. It is pretty simple to use the built-in communication from base to handset to "find" the handsets. And the type of communication needed makes it desirable to be able to go through walls, etc-otherwise, your cordless phone would only be usable in the same room as the base. So various forms of RF are used.

A TV remote only needs 1-way communication-from remote to TV-in order to function as a remote. It would cost more than is necessary to make this 2-way. And it would be an inconvenience to have the remote function through walls-imagine trying to watch a show in the living room, and your channel keeps changing because someone else is trying to watch a different show in a different room?

Comment

Na, there are plenty of RF remotes out there, the best TV's and associated equipment have had them for years. Never mind BT which would likely be more appropriate now as many modern TV's already have it, the cost would be negligible IMO.
          Cheers,
          Jon

Comment

just attach a car key finder to it
            Tile - for smart phones
            Click n Dig Key Finder Wireless RF Item Locator
            others

Comment

No smart phone here - not even a celly...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                Somebody --- I face this almost daily, why do not standard TV's have a find button on them to locate the remote ? just like what's on your home cordless phone?
                Excellent. You have obviously stayed at our house...

Comment

Originally posted by andywander View Post
                  A cordless phone needs to have 2-way communication in order to work as a phone. It is pretty simple to use the built-in communication from base to handset to "find" the handsets. And the type of communication needed makes it desirable to be able to go through walls, etc-otherwise, your cordless phone would only be usable in the same room as the base. So various forms of RF are used.

A TV remote only needs 1-way communication-from remote to TV-in order to function as a remote. It would cost more than is necessary to make this 2-way. And it would be an inconvenience to have the remote function through walls-imagine trying to watch a show in the living room, and your channel keeps changing because someone else is trying to watch a different show in a different room?
                  First TV with remote that we had when I was a kid would change channels when you turned the vacuum on, if you shook your keys in front of it, or even if the dog rattled his tags while walking by.

I don't watch TV, but my wife walks off with the phone all the time, never know where it will turn up. I've found it on the bridge, in the car, on the swing, by the mailbox everywhere but where you would normally look for it. Much faster for me to go out to the shop when I want to make a call than to look for one of the house phones.

I second putting a key finder on the remote.

Comment

I must be boring organized. I have never lost a TV remote.

Why not just tie it to the sofa or a chair with a string?

The biggest problem I have with them is the cover to the battery compartment always breaks when they are dropped. How about a battery-less remote? Perhaps solar powered?
                    Paul A.

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Sounds like you'll soon need something to help you find the wife.

After a recent episode when our remote went belly-up, our next TV's going to have selector buttons on the front (or the side - anywhere). Then... I'll quietly 'lose' the remote till people get used to not having it.

Remotes must be the second major cause of obesity... after TVs, that is.
                      Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                        Why not just tie it to the sofa or a chair with a string?

Now that's good ---- why do I wander off with it? it doesn't do me any good anywhere else, is it a transistor insecurity?

Comment

I once tethered the remote to the coffee table with one of those anti-theft spiral cords that you see in stores. My wife was really pissed.
                          How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Or better yet duct tape it to the coffee table!

Comment

Reminds me of the old days of turret tuners on TV, 1st remote was a stick with a notch to fit the knob!
                              It does make a lot of sense to have a find button, assuming the battery's haven't died of course, it would have to be rf as it's usually out if IR range, small box transmitter and Rf receiver wedged into remote perhaps, I'm sure a phone call to Samsung or whoever will get you a free TV!
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X