Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who know where this might lead! Windows 95.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who know where this might lead! Windows 95.

At last! After loading Dos and Windows 3.1 I was finally able to install my Windows 95 upgrade kit to a Dec Pentium PC.

I had the windows 95 disc, but it 'got lost' somehow. I also have it on floppies- 13 of them I believe. I loaded it onto an old computer with an 800 meg hard drive. Can't do much with it- play a few tunes through the stereo is what I use it for.

I still like my 266 with win 98. Everything I do on it is fast and it's not on the net, so it's kind of like a well-kept Toyota Corolla from years past-

This newer box I'm playing on takes longer to load, has wait states for just about every button I push, and shoves advertising in my face all the time. But there's a saving grace- I get to peddle my bs on you guys!
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Darryl, this old PC I am using is a small case model which I bought used in 1999 for an MP3 project and it ran every day, twice a day, under the seat of my ute without failure for ten years. I took the HDD out and used it for something else hence the need to reinstall the operating system.

Yes, I had to use the 13 floppies.

Comment

Most of my floppies are now unreadable. I transferred what I could to the hard drive and CDs, but some of my floppy drives apparently suffered corrosion on the head and it scraped off portions of the magnetic coating. I think the floppies themselves had also deteriorated from being stored in a damp unheated location, which may have softened the coating. I have a CD drive with SCSI interface and a parallel-SCSI adapter, which I have used to install software on an old Japanese laptop (it actually has a Japanese keyboard). I only use it for MSDOS programs. I have a working USB floppy drive but the old machine does not have USB.

There are utilities with which you can transfer files to and from a computer using the serial port, which most older machines have, and which can be emulated with a USB attachment on newer models.

If you have an old machine, you should replace the NiCad battery used for the BIOS settings. I had a couple of old MoBos where the battery had leaked and ate away part of the PCB tracks. Also examine the electrolytic capacitors for signs of swelling or venting. Might be a good idea to just replace them.
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Here is a trick I used all the time.

Installing the older windows, took forever. There was a point in the install where it stopped
          and asked you a couple questions. Everything was generic till that point, no specific drivers
          or anything like that was installed yet.

I used one of the partition/hd back up programs and made a backup of the drive at THAT point.

I would carry that around with me and when installing on another machine, I would restore
          that image to the machine I was working on ( very fast ) then continue the install from
          there.

It cut the time down to about a third.

Mike A
          John Titor, when are you.

Comment

My guess is it will lead to 1996.
            I had a kid born in 94- he will be old enough to drink this spring.
            I think your computer will be legal soon, too.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
              At last! After loading Dos and Windows 3.1 I was finally able to install my Windows 95 upgrade kit to a Dec Pentium PC.
              Why?

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
                Why?
                My thoughts as well. I don't have all the latest and greatest toys but I'm way past Win 95...
                Keith

Comment

Winderz 95 allows more direct and easier programming of the physical ports (parallel and serial ports for example) than later versions of Winderz.

Comment

Winderz 95 allows more direct and easier programming of the physical ports (parallel and serial ports for example) than later versions of Winderz.
                    Windows 95 first went on sale in New Zealand before anywhere else in the world. Did you wait in line for it on that much-anticipated day?
                    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

No Allan, but one of the others in the office did and I think we spent the next three days trying to get it loaded and running!

Comment

1995, To me it doesn't sound that long ago, but as the saying goes...we've come a long way baby!

START ME UP
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I don't know what your definition of easier is, but I did this LED controller and a pushbutton to PC interface in C# under .NET and it was probably easier than direct port manipulation that I used to do in C since making a nice GUI is simpler.

There's nothing built into .NET that will do parallel port control as far as I know. I found this dll. Of course, you have the problem that any computer old enough to have a printer port probably won't run Windows 7 and may have trouble even running XP. In any case, USB to parallel interfaces have pretty much taken over that function.

Comment

Working...
                          X