Hydraulic Shaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic Shaper

I'm not tempted by this, but it does look like a novel idea - at least, I've not come across one before.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-fa...-802328095.htm

Wow, I've never seen hydraulic pressure rated hose clamps.

Comment

Originally posted by superUnknown View Post
      Good eye! Perhaps that is why the "project never got off the ground."

Besides that I have often wondered why this is not a more common setup. Or why I do not see what amounts to a CNC shaper, where the ram and table motions are controlled and coordinated by electronics rather than crankshafts and gear trains. It seems a natural fit that would actually simplify the machine and also make it more flexible. Maybe it is just that shapers had already become less common in commercial shops by the time such controls were common.

Might make a good conversion project that some ambitious HSM could do to rescue an old shaper that is missing a bunch of parts or something.

Comment

Originally posted by superUnknown View Post
        The hose clamps are OK, he just couldn't find hydraulic pressure rated sausage casings.

Comment

...was going to make into a sausage stuffer...
          At least it was dual purpose...
          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
            Besides that I have often wondered why this is not a more common setup. Or why I do not see what amounts to a CNC shaper
            Cincinnati made many hydraulic shapers over a few decades, theyre not all that uncommon. The reason why theyre not more common tho likely is that the hydraulic systems are rather complicated whereas a crank shaper is about as simple of a machine as you can get. I used one in school a few odd times, that big bugger could literally shoot bullets across the shop if a student took too deep of a cut. As for cnc shapers, I dont recall which one now but I have seen pictures in at least one text of a tape controlled nc shaper cutting curved profiles, and several cnc planers in reality so the concept has been used. OTOH, shapers are pretty much obsolete so thats likely why.

JMO, but I'd question the rigidity of the clap-trap machine in that ad.
            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer View Post
              Cincinnati made many hydraulic shapers over a few decades, theyre not all that uncommon. .
              Rockford made hydraulic shapers, not Cincinnati. The last series of Cincinnati shapers looked similar to the Rockford and get mistakenly identified as hydraulic, but they are in fact crank shapers.

ME

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the big Cincinnati shaper we had in school was hydraulic.

Comment

Back when HSM was a new magazine, there was an article on converting a damaged crank shaper to hydraulic operation.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
                    Rockford made hydraulic shapers, not Cincinnati. The last series of Cincinnati shapers looked similar to the Rockford and get mistakenly identified as hydraulic, but they are in fact crank shapers.

ME
                    Rockford was really the only maker that got hydraulic shapers and planers to perform well
                    and by that time an era was at it's close.

I dout a home~brew could be made to work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluechips View Post
                      I'm pretty sure that the big Cincinnati shaper we had in school was hydraulic.

Google "cincinnati shaper pics" you will see the more modern crank shaper, which looks boxy, but it is not hydraulic.

I think no one in the USA besides Rockford made hydraulic shapers because their shaper was so good it would have been tough to compete with, especially considering the diminishing market for shapers.

ME

Comment

The ram and the machine in general looks pretty flimsy.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
                          Google "cincinnati shaper pics" you will see the more modern crank shaper, which looks boxy, but it is not hydraulic.

I think no one in the USA besides Rockford made hydraulic shapers because their shaper was so good it would have been tough to compete with, especially considering the diminishing market for shapers.

ME
                          Rockford's tracer-planer ruled the era, their shapers were terrific.......
                          Old tool~makers only told me of two other makers that failed and gave it up.
                          Names escape me.

Comment

Question is was it meant to be a shaper or a hydraulic broach?
                            Mark

Comment

Butler (?) in the UK made them , and Russian ones branded Stankoimport are common enough
                              My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

Working...
                              X