Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas 7B square drive handle in search of

Bought an Atlas 7B some time ago.

Just realized that it did not come with a drive handle to raise and lower the bed. I may have known this when I purchased it but it didn't stick in memory.

The shaft to be turned is 3/8 square. I could fab something up out of an old 3/8 socket and mics metal however if some suitable prefabbed handle is available at a good price....

Did check McMaster Carr and e-pay with no luck.

Anyone have any leads?

On a totally different 7B tangent, my clapper pin nut is 15mm and I ran across something else on the table or cross feed that was metric. Did Atlas use some metric fasteners on these? Seems totally out of place for something made in Kalamazoo Michigan way back then.

I use a crank that came from a jalousie window on some old house trailer.
    3/8 square drive, even has a set screw to hold it in place.

Comment

Start off with a bit of square section steel structural tube with the square hole that suits you and using scrap or anything handy to build it up from there.

Comment

No they were not metric in any way. They're out there you just have keep checking. You could buy a unfinished handle, drill it and broach the hole with the shaper.

Comment

If you wish to buy, MSC lists three imports priced at $25-30

CarrLane displays these zinc plated iron crank handles.
          http://www.carrlane.com/catalog/inde...3C3B2853524A55

JWWinco offers stainless versions
          http://www.jwwinco.com/products/sect...269/index.html

Comment

The CarrLane CL-0-H crank handle w/ 3/8"
            square drive is listed for $15 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/CL-0-H-Carr-La...productDetails

A customer review describes this unit as a drop-on
            fit for an Atlas Shaper.

Comment

DS that handle also adjusts stroke length, ram position, and table support
              George from Conyers Ga.
              Remember
              The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Reed Supply: http://www.essentracomponents.com/knobs-handles-grips

Comment

I just use a 3/8 female --> 3/8 female adapter on a ratchet. Worst case, you could use a 3/8 square socket.
                  "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I was just going to suggest something similar. Take a 1/2" hex key and Loctite it into a 1/2" 6 point 3/8" drive socket.

Comment

For the table, I use a 3/8" square socket (Craftsman) on the end of a speed wrench. For the other two adjustments I transfer the socket to a T-handle.
                      By the time one earns a degree from the school of experience, he's too old to practice. Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
                        The CarrLane CL-0-H crank handle w/ 3/8"
                        square drive is listed for $15 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/CL-0-H-Carr-La...productDetails

A customer review describes this unit as a drop-on
                        fit for an Atlas Shaper.

That's what I use on mine.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas.

At under $25 the amazon option looks good. I had been using a 3/8 drive extension (reversed) driven with a socket while cleaning and reassembling the shaper.

Comment

If you can get one grab it. I checked Carr Lane's web site and an availability check of that part number comes back discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer View Post
                              I just use a 3/8 female --> 3/8 female adapter on a ratchet. Worst case, you could use a 3/8 square socket.
                              Where do you get a 3/8 female --> 3/8 female adapter?

Comment

Working...
                              X