Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how often do you argue before you give up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how often do you argue before you give up?

When discussing automotive engines, far too many times I have to argue with people that claim "electronic ignition means a stretched timing chain doesn't matter'
    when do you stop trying to prove that it does?

I would just wait for the mechanical Darwinian moment and walk away smiling to myself... quietly thinking of the words of A. Einstein:
    “The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.”

paul
    paul
    ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
    but you may have to

Comment

life's too short to argue with people who are unwilling to consider an different opinion. Otherwise it simply becomes who can shout the loudest!

Comment

when do you stop trying to prove that it does? As soon as you realize that your words are in vain. When you realize the argument isn't going to result in an improvement in someones knowledge base, you can stop- knowing that you tried. If you carry on, it's your choice to do so, and you accept your reactions to it all from that point on.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by kendall View Post
          When discussing automotive engines, far too many times I have to argue with people that claim "electronic ignition means a stretched timing chain doesn't matter'
          When it snaps, leaving the exhaust/intake valves in the way of the quickly rising piston, turning the job from $50 in parts to $1500.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I learned a long time ago with horse owners that it is useless to try to convince them of anything. Now I just tell them what I think is going to happen and stop. Remembering the old saying," You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink it." When they get hurt by the horse or the horse gets hurt they mostly still don't believe what I said. Making all kinds of excuses for their behavior or the horses.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Same with owners of dogs.

And wives.... lol..

Comment

As soon as YOU realize that it doesn't matter to you.

Is it your car? Fagetaboutit.

Comment

Audiophiles take this to a whole nother level: they refuse to believe the results of A/B testing if it means the cheaper amplifier sounded better. Very easy to separate from their money

I give up on an argument when the other side stops listening.

Comment

I design recip engines for a living so I usually stay FAR away from most engine discussions bc of it. After growing up on the farm and most of a decade wrenching professionally I thought I knew a thing or three about engines, then I started my current career and realized how much more there was to learn.

In the OP's case, I'd suggest giving up quickly bc you're pissing into a strong wind.
                    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
                      When it snaps, leaving the exhaust/intake valves in the way of the quickly rising piston, turning the job from $50 in parts to $1500.
                      What world do you live in? I just had to pay $3800 to have the timing belts in my wife's GMC replaced. Just the parts were over $1200.

Bummer

PS: the car's 1323 miles out of warranty
                      Last edited by KJ1I; 11-07-2014, 11:22 PM. Reason: Added PS
                      Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Just agree with them that it doesn't matter as long the subject is ignition timing. Tell them that cam timing is a whole nother subject.
                        James

Comment

" I refuse to have a battle of wits, with an unarmed man "

Famous quote by ?
                          Rich

Comment

Sometimes it's better to know how people work, rather than being more knowledgeable about how engines (or anything else) work.
                            Cheers,
                            Gary

Comment

Depends on the dufuss, and the day, and the mood.
                              Sometimes let it go.
                              Sometimes drag it out, and see how many other dufusses come to resue the original dufuss.
                              ........ they feel empowered in numbers......... It's fun to watch as it never fails.

Comment

Working...
                              X