Great Score but somewhat OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Score but somewhat OT

Went today to buy some tooling from a retired machinist getting into woodworking. I noticed he had some gun stuff also, so we got talking & had a lot of the same interest so I asked him if he was selling any guns. He had just sold 2 Swedish Mausers but went & got a new never issued M44 Russian carbine made in 1946 at the IZHEVSK factory he had bought years ago & never shot or even cleaned the cosmoline off of. So I came home smiling with the rifle, 257 end mills most new the rest sharpened from 1/16 to 1" most double ended, one 3/4 solid carbide & a very nice rifle shooting rest new in the box. This isn't a gloat but if we call the rifle & rest free the end mills are under $1 each. Going back with more cash in the morning.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

How do you sniff these deals out?

Comment

I'm starting to believe in "the force", I'm thinking our friend detects disturbances in it caused by concentrations of metal, like a human magnetometer, I reckon if they took him on a boat he could have found the Titanic by locating its machine shop!, it's freaky, but in a good way lol
      Well done on the end mills, I'm not allowed to play with guns but I'd love a Mauser lathe just to fiddle with the screw cutting box!
      Mark

Comment

I have an idea.If we all club in we could employ flylo to fully equip our workshops.He would have to give up his day job and we may have to buy him a small farm and put a couple of hangers on for receiving and dispatch worldwide.I want to immigrate so I hope I can be employed as his assistant/apprentice

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
          I have an idea.If we all club in we could employ flylo to fully equip our workshops.He would have to give up his day job and we may have to buy him a small farm and put a couple of hangers on for receiving and dispatch worldwide.I want to immigrate so I hope I can be employed as his assistant/apprentice
          Plunger were almost there, don't have a day job, have a farm & 3 hangers, come on over. As I told you once I have another friend from Durbin now living in Canada.
          ~ James Madison

Comment

a new never issued M44 Russian carbine made in 1946 at the IZHEVSK factory he had bought years ago & never shot or even cleaned the cosmoline off of.

Go ahead and fire it. There's a reason there are so many new ones and they go cheap.

Comment

While I lovve surolus, Mosin Nagants are not my favorite either but are very popular right now. I like Swiss 7.5 straight pulls, Swedish mausers, anything U.S. or British. But the M44 is the rarest Mosin & in new, not rebuilt condition should have good value & are a very handy 40" long. I have & would shoot them with no problem as long as they headspace correctly. You wan't a pc of junk get a Carcano.
              ~ James Madison

Comment

Working...
              X