Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Switzerland had all bridges filled with explosives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Switzerland had all bridges filled with explosives!

I just read in the paper that Switzerland had all the bridges that come into the country filled with high explosives. They have just completed removing the explosives from the bridges and tunnels. Even newly built bridges had explosives in the foundations and pillars. It was done to stop tanks from entering the country if they were under attack.

Now this was all in German and I might have some of the details wrong as I am not perfect in German but I asked my wife to read it and she confirmed my understanding of what I had read.

One of these bridges I cross on at least a weekly basis! There were tons of explosives in the pillars. Gave me the creeps learning about this being the case.

Maybe Dian can shed some additional light on the subject????
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...er-bridge.html
    Last edited by Black Forest; 11-18-2014, 08:13 AM.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

You probably shouldn't be surprised in light of Switzerland's history. The interesting thing to me is that the Swiss military refuses to comment due to "national security" but the US military is continually leaking to the media about whatever terrorist they are after. I wonder what happened to the old saying, "Loose lips sink ships"?

Comment

probably a good idea removing it all - I think with the main threat now being terrorism it could make it all too easy for the gutless wimps to trigger it off.

Comment

Every tunnel you drove through is a fallout shelter. Those concrete awnings above the tunnel opening come down to cover the entrance.
        Every cross road whether a highway, gravel road or path has a least two mortar tubes permanently sighted on it.
        The Swiss take that sh*t seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
          probably a good idea removing it all - I think with the main threat
          now being terrorism it could make it all too easy for the gutless
          wimps to trigger it off.
          Shame there weren't more bridges likes these along the border
          of the Crimean Peninsula. Those folks on flight MH17 might have
          completed their trip in safety.

Comment

The Swiss used to be the most sought after mercenaries in the world. It led to a shortage in the number of men available to defend the homeland. In 1874, it got so bad the Swiss government had to pass laws forbidding the recruitment of citizens by foreign powers. Every Swiss male, 18 and older, must serve in the military in some capacity unless unfit for service. The Vatican still uses Swiss guards to protect the pope. Interesting people!

Comment

Switzerland's Jungfrau Region: Interlaken and Swiss Military Secrets

Comment

Probably just removing it to install new better explosives.
                "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                country, in easy stages."
                ~ James Madison

Comment

It wasn't just the bridges that came into the country. I lived there for a year in 1991 and found out most of the large bridges would have a row of square man hole covers in the road at each end of the bridge. These holes were pre-wired for explosives and all they had to do was drop the stuff in and wire it up to blow in case the enemy was advancing. There isn't a square inch of that country that is not covered by pre-positioned artillery in the mountains. I saw some pretty wild (comparatively) stuff while there. The citizen soldiers going to maneuvers with their STG 57 automatic rifles slung on their shoulders in the train station was mild. We ran across tanks and APC's on maneuvers in tiny mountain villages. The coolest thing was when they closed down a section of highway and a fighter jet (F5?) pulled out of a hanger cut into the mountain, lined up on the highway and took off. Part of their emergency readiness training. I don't know if they still do that, but it was pretty impressive back then.

Comment

See John McPhee's book La Place de la Concorde Suisse for a lot of information about the Swiss defenses.
                    ----------
                    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I very often work near modern high explosives, they are very stable, it's the angry young men you need to worry about...

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                        I just read in the paper that Switzerland had all the bridges that come into the country filled with high explosives.
                        What about the bridges they export then ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Those would be of no concern as they are coming into someone else's country.

Comment

The Swiss where/are wise to be proactive. During the cold war the Swiss intelligence wasn't taken seriously by the west, they called them the chocolate spy's. The Swiss maintained the the main thrust of a Soviet invasion of the west would come through Switzerland and not the northern plains (Fulda gap) of Germany as NATO figured an attack would have to come. After the fall of the USSR when the Russians started talking to the west about these things, it was proven that the Swiss where absolutely right. The Swiss have one of the best intelligence organizations on the planet. They may be removing the old explosives but I wouldn't be surprised if new explosives where quietly installed, especially with the new cold war starting to heat up.
                            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Every Swiss Army knife has built in defences that stop you getting the right blade out too.
                              When I left school I went to work for the Swiss Aluminium Company, Alussuise as it was called, they had an extrusion plant in a place called Chipis, big presses, massive rams about 10' diameter, I detract, on a visit driving along a road the traffic was stopped, a jet fighter taxied out of a side tunnel and took off from the road, over our heads, impressive!
                              It was a SAAB btw
                              Apart from that it was a very expensive place!, I had a Swiss bank account, but not the right kind!
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X