X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-Mouse balls!

IBM memo

RE: Replacment of mouse balls-

If a mouse ball fails to operate or it should perform erratically,it may require a ball replacement.
    Mouse balls are now avalible as FRU(field replacment units)
    Becuase of the delicate nature of this procdure,replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.
    Before proceeding,determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse.
    Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls.Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse.
    Foriegn balls can be replaced by using the pop-off method.Domestic balls are replaced by the twist-off method.
    Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive.
    However,excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement,the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each person have a pair of balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction.Any customer missing his balls should contact the local personnel in charge of removing and replacing these necessary items.

Please keep in mind that a customer without properly working balls is an unhappy customer.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Warped! But funny!

Comment

I've never replaced a mouse ball, but I have cleaned a few to no avail. The annoying sticky places often persist, and often move around at random.

It took me a while to figure it out, but the crud is really on the parts the balls come in contact with. If you keep those clean, the balls take care of themselves.

Roger
      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Yes, it's not the dirt on the balls that actually causes the problems but when it transfers and builds up on the encoder shafts. They must be carefully and FULLY cleaned. A quick wipe on the ball is usually sufficient.

One thing I have discovered is that the balls and therefore the encoder shafts can be prevented from getting dirty by a simple device. Instead of using your desktop or any of the fancy mouse pads for the mouse, just use a paper pad for the mouse pad. I get a 5x7 pad and when the top page shows any signs of dirt or other contaminant I just tear it off and throw it away. That produces an instant new and CLEAN surface for the ball to roll on. It actually tends to clean the ball while you use it. I NEVER have to clean the mouse balls or encoder shafts.

Added benefit: you always have scratch paper when you need it.

It is best to buy a better quality pad as some of the cheaper ones tend to get wavy and interfere with small mouse movements. The pages need to lie completely flat for best mouseing.

Paul A.
        Paul A.

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

i must have a female mouse, its underside reveals a glowing red ovary.

and if i handle it too much it gets tempermental.

Comment

The original post is quite humorous, but I found the follow-up posts rather useless. Aside from purely academic interest, why would anybody need to know how to properly cleanable play mouse? Throw the useless old dinosaur in trash can and go for a proper, optical mouse. They seem to work fine on any surface except glass or highly polished metal, they work sideways or upside down, and they are oftentimes available for less than $10.

I'm not one to jump on the latest technology bandwagon, I'm still quite happy with my Pentium three 500MHz notebook(fastest computer I've ever owned), my car still doesn't have a computer-controlled engine, and my stereo doesn't make a whole lot of sound until the tubes warmup. But sometimes a piece of technology comes along which is just so much superior that you have to go for it immediately. The optical mouse is such a piece of technology! I will grant you that a brand-new ball type mouse works just as well for a few days, but after a week or two of hard use it starts to get rather annoying. After a few months, they can become almost impossible to use if you're using them on a dirty surface. Not a problem with the optical mouse, the one hooked up to this computer is used in the kitchen on a dirty cloth placemat with lots of bread crumbs on it, and still works perfect over a year after being installed. So I guess I'm saying female mice are the only kind to buy :-)

Ed

Comment

Thats why I use a track ball. Plus my computer desk has really limited room at present for movimg a mouse around all over the place
              Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Optical and cordless the only way to go as long as you only have one in the room.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X