Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dissadvantages of being pro and homeshop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissadvantages of being pro and homeshop.

Problem solving.
    It's the spice of life at work. Or at least for me it is.
    If there are no problems, then it's called "Production".
    Good for the bottom line. Good for learning efficiency and discapline.
    Very bad for the creative juices, and just plain boring as he!!.

In the company I work for, most of the problems are caused by one group.
    And solved by another group, so I have no burden of guilt, and anything
    I can get going better is a pluss. Further; I face frustration much of the time
    but frustration is better than bordom any day.

THE TROUBLE IS THE BURNOUT.
    We've broken into several new lines of work that are loading up the shop
    with problem solving. I personally have the added burden of being.........
    ........ on the outside of the inner circle here. I wouldn't want to be in that circle anyway,
    but the constant drain of the annimocities, and the running conflicts between these factions
    takes it's toll big time.
    ==============

There in, is the problem!
    I'm on 5 weeks now of squandering my home~time on the three projects I'd realy like to
    be able to put the finishing touches on. If it was just 'do-it' that'd be one thing.........
    but these three projects need some problem solving.
    When I'm home, I'm just plain out of gass for problem solving.
    I'd rather sit around with family, of furry friends, check the forums. Watch some cool history program
    or catch up on Black List........ or .... or.

Necessity dunt help either because it aint! It is NOT a necessity, because all I have to do
    is stay after school, and do any little thing with greater ease at work, than I would at home.
    If I was an engineer or a pilot, I'd be chomping at the bit to get to it at home, No?

Woe is me. I got all day and haven't touched my toys yet.

If your job is also your hobby you need a different hobby. I've seen it in airline captians to mechanics to woodworkers. If you do it all day for pay why would you want to do it on your time.

Comment

I don't have a problem at all believing you are on the outs with the inner circle if you interact with the people at work in the same way as you post here! Now I am only speaking for myself of course but these threads you start are strange. In all my years I have never read such crap!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
        If you do it all day for pay why would you want to do it on your time.
        Different discaplines mostly.
        At work I use recent technology, and have to allow for others and their input.
        At home I use antique techology, and I use it how~ever it feels right.

And because I was born this way! Just luv Metal.
        Once home, it's realy more of an excersise in industrial anthropollogy.
        It's winter so boats (now that's a hobby) are {on ice} so to speak.
        So.........
        Last edited by Old Hat; 11-28-2014, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          In all my years I have never read such crap!
          Slowly getting a picture of you.... accuarcy not withstanding, coming from you.. the line above.
          Well, it's probably a good thing we're a half a world appart. I think we could do a pretty friction weld No?

PS, I knew there was no chance of be'n palls when Ya dissed "The Villian".
          how can ya like a guy who can't stand "The Villian"?
          Last edited by Old Hat; 11-28-2014, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
            Slowly getting a picture of you.... accuarcy not withstanding, coming from you.. the line above.
            Well, it's probably a good thing we're a half a world appart. I think we could do a pretty friction weld No?
            No because I wouldn't spend one second around somebody like you.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Odd, why even read my chit then? huh?

Comment

Wow, it's work'n.
                I'm start'n ta wanna go work on my old Miller Selenium rectified beauty.!
                Wadd-da-ya-know!

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                  If you do it all day for pay why would you want to do it on your time.
                  Why wouldn't you? A good friend of mine is a high-end cabinet maker who works for someone all day and himself at night. His two-car garage shop has netted him north of $250K (it started as a hobby) doing the kind of woodwork his employer doesn't. His employer is well aware of the home shop- as long as the two businesses doesn't compete for the same market, he's cool with it.

If you have the talent, the passion, and the tools, it's not work.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
                    Why wouldn't you? A good friend of mine is a high-end cabinet maker who works for someone all day and himself at night. His two-car garage shop has netted him north of $250K (it started as a hobby) doing the kind of woodwork his employer doesn't. His employer is well aware of the home shop- as long as the two businesses doesn't compete for the same market, he's cool with it.

+1 . . .

Comment

He doesn't have a hobby, he has a 2nd job, totally different thing.

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post

I m

Comment

Time for more Pi, no whip cream. Just Pi.
                        Sorry, Pi lovers! Maybe pick a better favorite number next time?

Comment

Have to hand it to ya Old Hat .. your skin has definitely thickened .. good for you.

Mike A
                          John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
                            When I'm home, I'm just plain out of gass for problem solving.
                            I'd rather sit around with family, of furry friends, check the forums. Watch some cool history program
                            or catch up on Black List........ or .... or.
                            If Brian Rupnow would hurry up and put a webcam on his mill, we could watch him do his thing.

Comment

3:13pm, here and I have done nothing but lay around and nap with the Cats.
                              It's the deep purring I think. Haven't got a chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X