Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For John Stevenson

John
    A while ago I spotted an expanding mandrel in one of your photo's, I think it was holding a gear blank for teeth cutting.
    I could do with a set of these up to 3/4" or 1" diameter.
    Where did you get hold of yours, and do you know if they are still available.
    Thanks
    Phil

"Where did you get hold of yours,"

My guess is that John knocked it up from a bit of scrap he was tripping over, between tea and watching Coronation Street, and he's probably got a better design on the way too

Comment

Peter,
      We don't need no steenking soaps

Phil,
      Sorry can't help you on this one with the set i have.
      They came out of an old Plessy toolroom hat closed, 4 to the set and start at 3/8" and go up to 1.5"
      No makers name on them.
      I have never seen a similar set but there are now some import ones coming in byt they don't cover the range these do.
      J&L has some listed and I think Chester had some at the show.
      J&L's take 7 to go from 1/2" up to 1.5"
      The first one is listed on the US web site as
      http://www.jlindustrial.com/catalog/...?id=MDL-95001L for $41.32

In the Uk flyer this one is listed as ERI-80000D at آ£14.92 that ERI number isn't listed on the US site ? I always thought that J&Lkept the same numbers regardless of location.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

That type of expanding mandrel is also manufactured by KO Lee.
        Nice to have, but not cheap.
        Jim H.

Comment

And though you can get away with using them in the lathe or mill for gear cutting. They are actually made for cylindrical grinding work
          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

They are available from KBC,page 383 in the Canadian catalog. No name which could mean Poland, China, India or? Sizes up to 1" are under $100

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.
              I missed a set ( got outbid ) on ebay a few months ago, I think the whole boxed set went for around آ£100 as I remember. Should have bid a bit higher with hindsight.
              I just looked at the ones on the J & L website, I am now wondereing if there is any mileage in making a set. They look as though a handful of morse taper capstan sleeves could be converted maybe.
              Another one to add to my endless wish list of workshop projects while I keep looking for a set to buy.
              Phil

Comment

Working...
              X