Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can original thought be machine born. semi OT

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...s-snc&ssid=snc

I've been following this since I was little and saw The Day the Earth Stood Still.
    For the longest time I fully beleived that no matter how capable a computor becomes.......
    ....... it's still a processor of datta, and is constrained to pushing the data through a sieve
    of arguments making up it's brain. And the only other option it could have
    to working out a problem which won't go thru the sieve, would be some kind of
    secondary best of three kind-of random generator, an either/or sub-computor.***

One can argue about actually merging techno with bio, or bluntly putting a soul in a machine.
    I'm not talking about that part of the deal.
    Riding the rails of spirituallity, I've seen that when good is on it's game, it can do wonders.
    I've also seen that when evil has room to work, un-hindered, there seems to be no end
    to the malignant and deviant pursuits it applies it's self to, with a passion.

Was I right earlier? or .... now I'm tending to agree with this fellow.

***in other words, lacking a solved arguement it "punts".
    but when we punt we have to answer for the damage when it dozn't work.
    and who answers for a bad cyborg-punt.
    Last edited by Old Hat; 12-02-2014, 10:06 AM.

Are drug tests compulsary in Milwaukee ??

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

that's only a 2
      put some effort in it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
        Uh, what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
          http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...s-snc&ssid=snc

I've been following this since I was little and saw The Day the Earth Stood Still.
          For the longest time I fully beleived that no matter how capable a computor becomes.......
          ....... it's still a processor of datta, and is constrained to pushing the data through a sieve
          of arguments making up it's brain. And the only other option it could have
          to working out a problem which won't go thru the sieve, would be some kind of
          secondary best of three kind-of random generator, an either/or sub-computor.***

One can argue about actually merging techno with bio, or bluntly putting a soul in a machine.
          I'm not talking about that part of the deal.
          Riding the rails of spirituallity, I've seen that when good is on it's game, it can do wonders.
          I've also seen that when evil has room to work, un-hindered, there seems to be no end
          to the malignant and deviant pursuits it applies it's self to, with a passion.

Was I right earlier? or .... now I'm tending to agree with this fellow.

***in other words, lacking a solved arguement it "punts".
          but when we punt we have to answer for the damage when it dozn't work.
          and who answers for a bad cyborg-punt.
          I have no answer for the Old Hat, but maybe I can keep the brain under the hat busy for a couple of hours. Here is a link to the science fiction story I wrote some years ago. Not a case of is it possible, but what might happen if it were.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files.html

Scroll down and find "I Electrons". Thanks to Sir John for hosting.
          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Obviously not! Too bad they are not compulsory to be able to post on this site!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Let me ask a question, is it possible & what if some terrorist group shut down the internet? IMHO the world have put it's eggs in one basket as every form of business, commerce, power, etc is tied to the internet. All the breaches I think it may be a possible what do you guys think?

Comment

A good question along similar lines.
                Maybe some-one will add some substance soon,
                while the romper~room boys amuse them~selves about substances.

Good grief, at least come up with some fresh ca,ca, the above dunt even stink.
                Last edited by Old Hat; 12-02-2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                  I have no answer for the Old Hat, but maybe I can keep the brain under the hat busy for a couple of hours. Here is a link to the science fiction story I wrote some years ago. Not a case of is it possible, but what might happen if it were.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files.html

Scroll down and find "I Electrons". Thanks to Sir John for hosting.
                  Time for Chips!
                  look into that laTer!

Comment

I am not a big believer in true AI. Just because a clever program can fool some people into thinking that they are conversing with a human does not really indicate any intelligence. Can it truly develop any new ideas?

A human mind is more than just a collection of connected neurons.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

I dont think anyone truly understands how humans do original thought and until we do we likely will not be able to build a machine to think. There is always the terrifying, albeit remote, possibility that we might do it accidently!

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                        and until we do we likely will not be able to build a machine to think
                        Women do it in 9 months, although best results take a few more years past that.

There is always the terrifying, albeit remote, possibility that we might do it accidently!
                        Yeah no kidding, see the 9 month quote above.

Comment

I would say .. everything depends on the programmer.

Whether that is a parent or a person entering code, there is no difference.

If there is no instruction of basic rights and wrongs and societal rules, the resulting
                          person/machine will be a danger.

Although .. it is a wonderous observation, that most thinking living things do have an
                          instinctive tendency for things like compassion, sharing and similar emotions. I am
                          talking about a mothers instinct to care for its offspring and things like that.

A machine would be likened to an insect. Ingest, digest, expel, eat your mate .. hahah

I think the answer is .. to not give the machine the power to do harm. No matter what the
                          decision making algorithm.

Mike A
                          John Titor, when are you.

Comment

You first need a machine that knows what it wants and what it doesn't want and the ability to know the difference. That requires an ability to process data including data that is of a type it may be unfamiliar with and to have selection processes that dynamically qualify the input. The mind deals with this trivially - especially when we're driving in a strange car in a strange city as when you vacation in a foreign land.

Comment

Perhaps some dope would tame the narcissism...
                              Cheers,
                              jon

Comment

Working...
                              X