Mill-Lathe Combo Unit Sugestions Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill-Lathe Combo Unit Sugestions Requested

I know I know... They're not all that great. But, sometimes it's all a guy can do.

The guy I bought the mill and lathe from has a small space to work with at his Winter place in AZ. So, it's either a combo unit or nothing, and nothing won't fly.

He's leaning towards one of the Smithy Granite units. Probably a Max or I-Max. Is that the best option for a combo unit? What else is out there that's as good as or better than a Smithy?

And don't forget, I know & he knows the combo units are a compromise for separate units, but it's a combo or nothing.

Chris

They work ok. It'll just get the job done. I added a digital readout and that msde life much easier. I blew 5 motors on mine in the first six months. So I went with VFDs and doubled the horsepower to 1.5. I also made an extension to the lathe. Now I can turn 56 inches long and. The factory swing of 16.5 for referance that's big enough to cut a flywheel off a big block chevy.

Comment

The EMCO (not Enco) Compact 10 is a good quality lathe with a milling head. That would be my choice if I had go with a combo machine. There are similar designs (copies?) on import machines.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

You can get a CNC Shopmaster one in the $4000 to $6000 range. [email protected]. Don't know what the budget is, can't hurt to look though.

Comment

I have a Prazi that seems OK for the size.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

As "danlb" stated, try and find one of these machines, they are about 10 times better than what your looking at.
            This is only a manual for one of these very accurate and excellent machines, but it shows you what you really want to buy.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Maximat-V...item2eda2c4d9b

Comment

I have had my Shopmaster for 14 years and love it. At the time it was head and shoulders above any other design in terms of milling capacity, and I don't think anything has changed. The milling envelope is huge compared to many 3-in-1s due to the extended reach of the overarm, and the powered vertical lift in addition to the quill travel. The overarm has a vertical sliding brace on the right end that stiffens the whole thing substantially. Heavy cuts in steel and iron are no problem. The lathe can swing 17" and the long cross travel allows full use of it.

The Maximat, and *any* other of the designs that use a milling head partway down the lathe bed, are simply terrible in design. Basically, the milling table is in the wrong direction. The longest piece that can be machined in the "in and out" direction is severely limited by the small swing of the milling column. And if you place the part longways down the lathe bed, as soon as you mill more than a couple of inches, the workpiece is no longer supported underneath, so it doesn't much matter if a long piece will fit. A proper milling machine, including the regular design 3-in-1s, move just the table in the long axis. It doesn't matter how long the table is, the cutting action is always over, and supported by, the saddle. The Maximat moves the "saddle" out from under the cut. In addition, on these machines, the cross feed is so limited that you cannot even use the full width of the maximum swing on the lathe. I have never seen one, even the large ones, that come even close to having enough travel to cover the width of a piece that uses the maximum swing, **let alone** being able to place the tool post in a desirable location.

Dennis

Comment

As stated above : Decide on the biggest thing that you'll machine and double that and buy a machine capable. You can always make small stuff on a big machine but you can't make big stuff on a small machine very easily

Comment

Thanks for the input... I'll pass the info along.

Chris

Comment

This might not be such a good idea!

https://www.bidbud.co.nz/802507506

Comment

I still want one of these, its a bit more than a 3-in-1 tho with cylindrical grinding, milling, turning, drilling, etc.

One of the local machinery clubs has a very similar size/quality wood-wacking machine that I drool over every year at the state fair, I'll share a pic later if I can find one.

"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Artful - Sometimes you have to do what you have to do... "one day" I'm going to make a mount for an Emco V10 mill head and put it on my 14x40 cross slide (it's big, like 16x60 size) for those times where I want to add a specific feature and not take the material out of the lathe.

Comment

The Urwick MetalMaster would be my first choice, but only 12 were made

Second choice would be the Stepperhead: http://www.lathes.co.uk/stepperhead/ and https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...453F3A8210DC96

Comment

Working...
                          X