Picked up this sad old milling vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up this sad old milling vise

Recently Black Forrest posted about a couple of nice vises including a beautifully hand crafted one and Tundra Twin Track showed off his
    massive 320 Lb mold makers vise. Here's one from the other end of the spectrum. I spotted this on Craigslist for $10:

It was dirty, stiff, neglected, and a little abused. The only markings on it are a tag riveted to the back that says BFC and the number 100
    in the casting where the screw is held (visible in picture 2). There are a couple of dings on the ways but not enough to structurally
    compromise the vise.
    Continued in next post.

After a few hours of cleaning and deburring, shimming the clamps under the movable jaw, and installing new bolts for the jaws:

The jaw now slides smoothly. I still plan on milling the tops of the jaws flat and making up a handle for the screw. I left the
    bolts holding the fixed jaw a bit long (hence the extra washers) so I can add a piece of L channel to serve as a handle so it's
    not as clumsy to lift.

EDIT: Here is a thread that shows the handle I made for this vise:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...d-milling-vise
    Last edited by RichR; 01-03-2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I like the oil break scraping on the ways, is that done with a pull scraper?, if so how?, new jaws and a drop of tinned rainbow as my metalwork teacher used to call hammerite and it's probably better than the typical Chinese fare
      Nice job
      Mark

Comment

Hi boslab
        I don't know how the scraping was done, it was already there. It has JAPAN stamped on one of the ways, post #2 picture 3.

Comment

Looks like someone has been using it for a bench vise and hacksawing something in it.
          I am always happy to see an old piece repaired, reused or repurposed.
          My frugal nature won't let me throw away anything useful if it can be salvaged.
          Good job!
          Bill
          I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Looks familiar!
            http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...laza-Machinery

The 100 means 100mm or about 4 inch.
            I have a swivel base too.
            I never found out anything else, I like the vise though.
            Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Good save. An extra vise is always useful to have.
              "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Looks like a Japan copy of the old Brown and Sharpe vise design.
                I wonder if the leadscrew threads are worn thin or it is some kind
                of thread form the manufacturer invented.

---Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                  I still plan on milling the tops of the jaws flat and making up a handle for the screw.
                  Please do. It hurts just to look at them.

Hmm....
                  Pics...check.
                  Low price...check.
                  Only thing left is...you suck!
                  Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                    Looks like a Japan copy of the old Brown and Sharpe vise design.
                    I wonder if the leadscrew threads are worn thin or it is some kind
                    of thread form the manufacturer invented.
                    ---Doozer
                    You have eyes like a hawk, missed that completely, your right they appear to be Half the width they should be, it's not a double start thread is it?, or triple even, lol, I tried cutting one once but the tread indicator did not like me!

]
                    Mark
                    Last edited by boslab; 12-05-2014, 09:54 AM. Reason: Messed up again!

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
                      Looks like someone has been using it for a bench vise and hacksawing something in it.
                      I am always happy to see an old piece repaired, reused or repurposed.
                      My frugal nature won't let me throw away anything useful if it can be salvaged.
                      Good job!
                      Bill
                      Since I don't like to see equipment treated this way so I thought I'd give it a second lease on life.
                      Last edited by RichR; 12-05-2014, 10:21 AM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

I have one that looks just like it. I beleive its an ERON. Or mine at least has that stamped on it. Mines a much larger vise though.

Comment

Hi Mike
                          Originally posted by MotorradMike View Post
                          Looks familiar!
                          http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...laza-Machinery

The 100 means 100mm or about 4 inch.
                          I have a swivel base too.
                          I never found out anything else, I like the vise though.
                          Yours definitely looks like an Eron. Here is the Eron 125 I picked up a couple of years ago for $50 from Craigslist:

It has an oval metallic sticker on the back of the fixed jaw that says Eron that is probably missing on yours. Mine also came with the swivel though I don't
                          use it. You ask about the mark for setting the angle in your thread. On mine, there is a small adjustable plate with a mark screwed to the left side next to
                          the mounting ear on the side closer to the movable jaw.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                            You have eyes like a hawk, missed that completely, your right they appear to be Half the width they should be, it's not a double start thread is it?, or triple even, lol, I tried cutting one once but the tread indicator did not like me!]Mark
                            No, it's not a multi-start thread. The peaks are about 1/2 the width of the valleys.

Comment

After looking at the threads, they appear to be original, because how could there be such exact wear over the full length of the screw.

Comment

Working...
                              X