Anyone use one of these machinist type tool boxes from HF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use one of these machinist type tool boxes from HF

Anyone have any experience as to the quality of the top portion of this box set

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-draw...net-67421.html

Kinda thought about using it as a drill bit index / cabinet.

Thanks

That sure is cheap!!! You can't even buy the middle section from Kennedy for that price.

I always wanted to buy one of the Huot master cabinets but not for $600.

JL............

Comment

The HF line of red toolboxes are a lot better than the black ones. I have the red one and you can't beat it for the price.

Comment

I'd go with this one http://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-8...est-68787.html

Comment

The red tool boxes/cabinets beat Craftsman hands down. The machinist chest looks pretty good, also.
          Toolznthings

Comment

If you print the coupons you will find the black tool chest for $149, and a 25% off coupon good until Sunday. (but some items are excluded, like the tool chest). I don't know if the red ones are that much better. Probably a heavier gauge metal. Here's a direct link to the coupons:

http://images.harborfreight.com/hftw...4-coupon-1.pdf
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I've got that set, and I use them for storing taps and dies.

I think they are pretty good quality.

Comment

http://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-harb...-coupon-thread
                Here is the coupon wiki for harbor freight coupons are toward the bottom of the page
                Last edited by PTSideshow; 12-11-2014, 08:50 PM.
                Glen
                Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Looked these over at my local HF store. The black cheap one is ----cheap. Tinny. While I was looking a guy passing by warned me that his rusted right away. The red cabinets, however, are every bit the equal of Craftsman or Husky, appear to come maybe from the same factory. You pays your money, you gets what you paid for...

Comment

Originally posted by Ironwoodsmith View Post
                    The HF line of red toolboxes are a lot better than the black ones. I have the red one and you can't beat it for the price.
                    Yep this one is MUCH better.

http://www.harborfreight.com/26-in-1...mbo-67831.html
                    Mike
                    Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
                      Well, it may be nicer, but it also more than twice the price!

Take a look at the chests and make your own decision. I did.....

Comment

You might consider keeping an eye out for a genuine Kennedy setup, the brown machinists' boxes dont sell for dink used. I see them fairly regularly at ~$100 for a bottom box, ~$50 for the larger top boxes, and ~$20 for the smaller #520 boxes, often containing tools. Worst case, you could also grab any used domestic box off craigs for <$100 and end up with something quite a bit better than the Chi-com stuff.

Personally, Ive got two Cman 26" top boxes back-to-back sitting on top of my "big box" - a ~60" Vidmar on wheels with common mechanic's tools. One Cman box is doubly special in that its the first toolbox I ever owned and contains heirloom and precision tools. The other is full of cutting tools, drills, and taps and IIRC was $7 at auction. Its holding ~300 lbs pretty easily. I'm also currently modifying an old Remline bottom roller box (another <$10 auction acquisition) to hold my mill "heavies" - 3 or 4 mill vises, rotab, dividing head, big angle plates, surface plate, and maybe a drawer or two of collets. That one is pretty stout compared to newer homeowner boxes, double walled 18 gauge like many of the older boxes are, not single wall 18-22.
                        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Just a note about the discount coupons, HF clearly says they CAN NOT be used for tool boxes!

Nor can they be used for tool carts, air compressors, welders, floor jacks and several other larger items.
                          Last edited by radkins; 12-11-2014, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer View Post
                            You might consider keeping an eye out for a genuine Kennedy setup, the brown machinists' boxes dont sell for dink used. I see them fairly regularly at ~$100 for a bottom box, ~$50 for the larger top boxes, and ~$20 for the smaller #520 boxes, often containing tools. Worst case, you could also grab any used domestic box off craigs for <$100 and end up with something quite a bit better than the Chi-com stuff.

Personally, Ive got two Cman 26" top boxes back-to-back sitting on top of my "big box" - a ~60" Vidmar on wheels with common mechanic's tools. One Cman box is doubly special in that its the first toolbox I ever owned and contains heirloom and precision tools. The other is full of cutting tools, drills, and taps and IIRC was $7 at auction. Its holding ~300 lbs pretty easily. I'm also currently modifying an old Remline bottom roller box (another <$10 auction acquisition) to hold my mill "heavies" - 3 or 4 mill vises, rotab, dividing head, big angle plates, surface plate, and maybe a drawer or two of collets. That one is pretty stout compared to newer homeowner boxes, double walled 18 gauge like many of the older boxes are, not single wall 18-22.
                            Well where in the world are you finding these Kennedy lower boxes for ~100. I have kept an eye open on craigs for something like a lower that I could use and they all seem to be going for over 350+. Even the top boxes all seem to be in the 75.00 range well used.

After thinking about it a little I would prefer to find a roll around bottom with really shallow drawers. This box will be a dedicated drill bit milling cutter box. The flat top would allow me to mount a drill / mill sharpener when I get on. Almost trying to build a cutting / tooling station.

Comment

Hi,

I have had that set for 2 years now. It's a decent tool box set for the money. I've not had any rust issue in my non-heated part of the garage. I don't think it's a heavy duty as the the HF red boxes.

It's not my choice for a primary tool box set in a heavy use situation, but it does make a pretty good secondary box for tools that aren't used everyday.

Dalee
                              If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X