Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

_ What to do with a some what broken microwave (pics inside) ???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • _ What to do with a some what broken microwave (pics inside) ???

    Some time ago 2001 / 2002 i small microwave was giving to me. Over the years its been used, but not day in and day out and was only used by a single person, not a family. Over the last couple months things that took 2mins to heat now take 4 so i just bought a replacement.

    Have no need for two microwaves, what else can it be used for ?
    Its pretty heavy, heavier then the bigger one i just bought.

    I don't know alot about electronics, if you post, "keep it because it has a .... in it" could you describe the function of .... and alternatives it could be used for, thanks.








    Info tag from the inside:



    _
    ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
    http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

  • #2
    The transformer can be easily re-wound for a spot welder and other things. Search this on you-tube for ideas. They also contain several microswitches on the door, and a 3 or 6 rpm motor for the turntable. I see that yours it too old to have a digital clock, but you might find a use for the timer.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

    Comment


    • #3
      http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...t-A-Microwave/
      Gene

      Comment


      • #4
        Be very careful handling capacitors, there are some powerful ones in microwaves. As an aside, I think the designers of these things must own a repair shop on the side as I recently had to dismantle ours to change a light bulb! What's more the bulb is propietary and cost $6 plus shipping. Bob.

        Comment


        • #5
          I recognize that model. We had one just like it in the previous office.

          You may be able to repair it very simply.

          It uses the blades of the exhaust fan as the beam rotator for the magnetron (tube that generates the microwaves). Usually the fan will stop rotating due to crud buildup on the bearings, and the protection circuitry shuts down the magnetron.

          Typically, getting the fan working usually makes the microwave functional again.

          -bob

          Comment


          • #6
            There was a thread here some time ago, where someone used the magnetron to make something else.
            But I can't find the thread... Anyone remember?
            Thomas

            Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
            - Piet Hein

            Comment


            • #7
              Usually the diode fries. If you open the unit the diode is a little black block with one wire tied to ground and the other going to the transformer. Appliance repair shops has generic replacements.

              -Jerry

              Comment


              • #8
                dont mess with the part in which the beam is formed/focussed
                the ceramic part inside is made of berilium? the dust of which is a hazard

                Comment


                • #9
                  I had heard of dangers and toxicity of beryllium and related compounds, but it seems that it isn't as bad as I thought:

                  http://www-esh.fnal.gov/CourseHandout_Mat/BeVideo1.pdf

                  http://www.oshax.org/info/articles/beryllium

                  http://www.state.nj.us/health/eoh/rt...ts/fs/0222.pdf

                  Inhalation of any fine inorganic powder or dust can be dangerous:

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The old ones were powerful and well built. Take it apart and get the two donut magnets out of it. I have donut magnets all over the shop, they are strong and handy. Takes less than 2 minutes to get them out.
                    Duke Reno / Yankee Metallic Metalcraft

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If you have any need for a 3 to 5 thousand volt source, you can salvage the transformer, diode, and capacitor. Otherwise I usually only keep the transformer and perhaps the micro-switches, although the switches would have had a rough life and may not be reliable. Some of them only handle a small current and those would probably be ok, but most are in the power path so are handling up to 20 amps- some are opened and closed at this current level, while others are closed and don't break the circuit unless you open the door while it's operating. If you want to keep the switches, just make sure you test them before reusing them.

                      I don't bother trying to salvage the magnets from the magnetron- it's too much hassle. The metal covers can be handy if you do any fabricating with sheet material for small projects.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                        I had heard of dangers and toxicity of beryllium and related compounds, but it seems that it isn't as bad as I thought:

                        http://www-esh.fnal.gov/CourseHandout_Mat/BeVideo1.pdf

                        http://www.oshax.org/info/articles/beryllium

                        http://www.state.nj.us/health/eoh/rt...ts/fs/0222.pdf

                        Inhalation of any fine inorganic powder or dust can be dangerous:

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis
                        You must of thought it was pretty terrible. None of those sources makes me want to get up close and friendly with the stuff.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          BeO is terrible stuff but microwaves do not use it, if there were there would be the required warnings all over the interior of the microwave. What is in a microwave is generic alumina.

                          Laser and x-ray tubes use BeO ceramics a lot as well as a lot of high power semiconductors and resistors.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It's becoming increasingly harder for me to throw stuff away, Im not a hoarder - yet - iv only got one room in the house where you can barely walk in and all the others are mostly "normal"

                            I have no idea what's inside a micro-wave but im sure there's lots of stuff that can be useful including a sturdy box with a window in it... ???

                            anyways, I just got done building and testing my solar powered solar duct pre-heater and wow what a nice difference -- now when the main solar power fan kicks on the air coming into the house is already warm...

                            all built from old computer parts and a couple of used headlight bulbs and an adjustable temp cut-out switch...

                            nice safe dependable heater... so great when you can build stuff from so called "junk" and save money doing it whilst lightening up a little on the landfills...








                            So --- I would at least tear into it, have a look around and see what looks useful but remember to keep an open mind because you never know what your going to need.. (another words - create a junk room like I got :-)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I took mine apart and got almost nothing out of it. Mine was an "inverter style" so there was no big transformer.

                              I snagged the magnets. There were no warnings on the element, so I did not worry much.

                              I also pulled the sheet metal cover from the 24 deep by 20 tall by 30 wide box. Than gave me a nearly 6 foot long by 2 foot wide sheet with a plastic coating on one side.

                              Dan
                              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

                              Location: SF East Bay.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X