Multifix threading holder conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multifix threading holder conversion

I recently acquired a Multifix style 40 position toolpost with a few holders including a BFE for external threading. It uses a specific Komet FG2 HSS cutter which is both expensive and difficult to find in north America. And any way I have a collection of laydown inserts that I use for threading, so I am looking to convert the holder to accept these inserts.
    There is a video on youtube by TheDaumen that shows such a conversion in use:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxOqH9izVh4
    Is the owner on HSM, as I would appreciate learning from him how he went about this modification.

All I did was turn a shaft to the same diameter as the original shaft. Then I cut off the insert holder and welded it to the shaft. Done. What size Multifix do you have?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Thanks BF I thought it was you, the sheep vids, you know.
      I have a B size, and I'll go the welding route.

Comment

I'll do a cut and weld.

Comment

Originally posted by yul m6 View Post
          I'll do a cut and weld.
          Are you going to make a new shaft or cut the one with the Ifanger end on it? Please tell me that you will turn a shaft!!!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Ive got the B size threading attachment too I think, though mine comes factory to take a square toolholder of your choice. I'll look after if its a swiss or import one, as it was the only holder I own that didnt fit my toolholder mounting system I made as it was ever so slightly different where it grabbed the toolblock.
            Only tangentally related, but others out there with the same

Comment

Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
              Ive got the B size threading attachment too I think, though mine comes factory to take a square toolholder of your choice. I'll look after if its a swiss or import one, as it was the only holder I own that didnt fit my toolholder mounting system I made as it was ever so slightly different where it grabbed the toolblock.
              Only tangentally related, but others out there with the same
              Did you make your own copy of the Multifix? I have never seen the threading attachment that will hold the insert holder. Would you post a picture of it? Please!!!!

Comment

After viewing that video it appears you really need three arms to operate that lot with any speed, as in a workshop environment.

Now if you go and search for the very simple flip tool that Sir John posted years ago, then that one can be operated at 350/500 RPM very easily.
                When I was working, I made one of these simple flip tools that Sir John promoted and I then could just about match a CNC for cutting threads, boy, could you make the work 'sing' when using it.
                I can not show any photos of it in full swing (pun intended) as I am now long retired and left the tooling behind when I left work.
                Somebody on here should have where Sir Johns bit of gear is hiding, maybe it needs to be re-introduced/resurrected, as it would have been about the simplest thing to make and the easiest to use as well. No extra levers required to be pushed and pulled, just leave your hand on the in-feed dial, the other on the reverse lever and be ready with the foot brake and just go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                  Are you going to make a new shaft or cut the one with the Ifanger end on it? Please tell me that you will turn a shaft!!!
                  I actually ordered a spare shaft (the one that takes an FG2 tool) from createtool to cut and weld to the head of a spare 16er toolholder that I have.

Comment

As requested by mr BF, not certain its the same thing, this one is tagged B1G, and I don't think its genuine swiss like my other holders, as the profile where it fits the toolblock is a different (square) shape at the ends. In fact I have it in here to redraw my holder system to make a bespoke holder for just this one block...
                    But it has a flange at the end which takes different toolholders bolted on with two bolts which you cant see in this angle, at the moment it has a vee block holder so I can use it just to hold a old endmill for boring work.

Another, I dont have the special spanner, but I'll make one when I get chance.

I was sold it as a "micrometer adjustable boring bar holder", but there's nothing to keep it retracted against the stop but lever pressure. I have never needed the micrometer adjust, I would just use the dials on my lathe to provide this measurement and it has no scales. To convert it to threading duties, its just a case of making a toolblock to bolt in that takes the inserts.

Comment

Want to two-hand the threading holder? Rig an axial stop and bell crank that trips the holder. Furnish the lever with an over-center spring - click! and it pops out. If you get it right, it makes a nice smooth pull-out before the spring toggles over center.
                      Last edited by Forrest Addy; 12-22-2014, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Does that holder have a lever to extend/retract it? I have one similar for internal thread cutting. Here is the one I have.

Comment

Yes, but its at the rear, the same as your external one. It all makes sense now,its a internal threading adjustable toolblock.

Comment

Working...
                          X